Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulrender View Post
    So you're going to tell me everything up until MoP was filled with as many corny jokes, immature scenery, and poorly written dialogue?
    Well, um, duh?

WoW has NEVER been a serious game. People are why it became so "serious".

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuFanta View Post
    To the people who keep spewing the bullshit about Warcraft 3 "not taking itself" seriously:

Warcraft 3 had HUMOR elements, but they didn't break immersion of the game MOST of the time. Things like the hidden Hydralisk were drastic examples where it did, but it was one small thing in tens of missions.
    The developers have a sense of humor-- which means it's not as serious as you think it is.

You think stuff like the Hydralisk was one small thing, but if you look at the other tens of missions you can fish out a bunch of weird stuff in them as well, including Wirt's Other Leg, The Butcher, the Uber Fish, the Secret Society of Sasquatch, the Penguin King (who dances for DK Arthas, of all people), a ghoul named Timmy, a critter with 100% evasion, and of course, hidden Pandaren. Those are just some of the better-known ones.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    Nobody ever said there was no Horde in WC2. There most certainly was a Horde in WC2. And there is a Horde in WoW. The thing you're not getting is that they're not the same organization. The WC2 Horde was beaten and completely dismantled. The Horde as it exists today was formed from scratch after that, with a new leadership, a new command structure, new goals and new members. It started being called "the Horde" while the WC2 Horde started being called "the Old Horde" to demonstrate the distinction.
    I never said they were the same organisations.
    What I said is:
    This game is based on horde vs alliance from the beginning.
    This was his answer:
    Or Warcraft 2, where "The Horde" didn't even actually exist yet?
    A GIGANTIC strawman. I never said it was the same organisation, never said the horde in wc2 was right or wrong or evil or good, never said anything like that. Didn't need to add that kind of depth to the discussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW has lost its tone of seriousness and with it, its immersion too.

EDIT: I appreciate what they are doing with the lore with the Garrosh build-up, but I really really really am agitated by the delivery of it (if that makes sense)
    Disagreeing with everything really. MoP had more immersion and better storyline than Cataclysm had. In Cata I did not really feel the story unfold, in MoP I did really.
    Seeing events build up from the moment you land in Jade Forest, to Kun-Lai Summit to Dread Wastes. Sha presence and the build up to the Garrosh story. I really enjoyed it and in all fairness it never felt corny, with the exception of the occasional joke, but that's good to change the pace and mix it up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    none of Warcraft from WC3 and onward existed back in WC2. WC3 is a complete and utter retcon of the original RTS games. Which is why I initially skipped wc3 and didn't give WoW a chance until summer 2006.

To retcon the evil horde into morally ambiguous victims of circumstance was a necessary evil to pave the way for WoW though. I can admit that now.
    Umm, I hate to point this out, but I dont think you actually understand what the word "ret-con" means. Ret-con refers to Retroactive-Continuity change. IE, a change to what we now know that effectively changes the accepted past of something into something else.

If our first encounter with Superman tells us he comes from Kripton, which was destroyed, leaving him an orphan, that is what we know. If someone later decides that Superman's home planet was instead called Cybertron, and changes his cannon origin story, that is a change to an existing, established knowledge base. That is a Ret-Con.

If our first encounter with Superman only tells us that his home planet was destroyed, leaving him an orphan, and much LATER gives his home planet a name, that is not a ret-con, that is simply expanding the knowledgebase.

That said, The orcs were never "ret-conned" from being an evil horde into victims, because no one at that point knew anything about their backstory. They just poured through a portal from another world and tried to conquer azeroth. Their background was later fleshed out and expanded upon to arrive at the current orcs we know and love today.

The Dranei / Eredar lore on the other hand was actively retconned.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2013-12-13 at 07:52 AM.

Deleted
    So you're going to tell me everything up until MoP was filled with as many corny jokes, immature scenery, and poorly written dialogue?
    If you learn to embrace the corny jokes you will have a good time, one joke in particular comes to mind.
    Dwarf on the can that needs silk cloth to complete the quest.

The game is full of references to real movies aswell and I don't think it is poorly written if you see it for what it is, a video game.

Nobody cares about WoW anymore. Blizzard is so ready to be done with it. They come off as it being a burden, and wanting to move onto something newer. Catering to casual players to an extreme, taking a childish approach to a mainly young adult/adult player base, and overall poor quality of gameplay.

Elder Scrolls Online will wipe the floor with w/e they come up with next and they know it. Blizzard lost it's hold over the MMO community the second it was announced. ESO has the wonder factor, 10 years in the making, and a much more loyal fanbase than Warcraft ever had. Not to mention it's creators have a much more personal attachment to the series and therefore only care about making it better. Blizzard was always looking ahead to their next expansion or next "great" MMO, while ESO has been doing nothing but developing their game.

I see a lot more longevity in ESO because they've learned from WoWs failures and understand the what the majority of the MMO community really wants. We want adventure, we want wonder, and most of all we want a fun MMO to play. WoW was only fun to me when I first started and it was new. I cannot stand playing WoW, and I will never play it again. Grinds, grinds, and more grinds that eat away at your soul and melanin levels. I never get tired of playing Elder Scrolls games because they have what I consider to be a great game: Active combat, rich environment, and a storyline I could repeat over and over.

Sorry Blizzard but it's time you learned you were only good because you were the only well funded MMO around.
    "Knock the world right off it's feet, and straight onto it's head."

http://http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/tichondrius/Elargee/simple

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Because one video proves that Warcraft 1 till WotLK were all serious?
    What do you mean by "serious"?
    It's a bit vague how can anyone answer that question?

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I said Pandaria sucked because they managed to take the depth and diversity of ancient Chinese mythology and boil it down to terracotta roofs, and Shaolin monks in panda suits, and oh look, here's an ox, and a dragon. And the characters that were introduced were all martial arts movie clichés. Pandaria ended up being the most intellectually shallow continent in the game.
    So what ? The Dwarfs boiled down scottish history to living near a lake and being drunk all the time and the Tauren show the (american-)indian heritage by living in tents and hunting big animals.
    Everything is the disneyworld-version of real life in WoW and everything is cliché. The Pandaren are in no way special in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    So what ? The Dwarfs boiled down scottish history to living near a lake and being drunk all the time and the Tauren show the (american-)indian heritage by living in tents and hunting big animals.
    Everything is the disneyworld-version of real life in WoW and everything is cliché. The Pandaren are in no way special in that regard.
    You and I both know there's a lot more to the dwarves, but NEITHER of these races were the focal point of an expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceJam View Post
    Nobody cares about WoW anymore. Blizzard is so ready to be done with it. They come off as it being a burden, and wanting to move onto something newer. Catering to casual players to an extreme, taking a childish approach to a mainly young adult/adult player base, and overall poor quality of gameplay.

Elder Scrolls Online will wipe the floor with w/e they come up with next and they know it. Blizzard lost it's hold over the MMO community the second it was announced. ESO has the wonder factor, 10 years in the making, and a much more loyal fanbase than Warcraft ever had. Not to mention it's creators have a much more personal attachment to the series and therefore only care about making it better. Blizzard was always looking ahead to their next expansion or next "great" MMO, while ESO has been doing nothing but developing their game.

I see a lot more longevity in ESO because they've learned from WoWs failures and understand the what the majority of the MMO community really wants. We want adventure, we want wonder, and most of all we want a fun MMO to play. WoW was only fun to me when I first started and it was new. I cannot stand playing WoW, and I will never play it again. Grinds, grinds, and more grinds that eat away at your soul and melanin levels. I never get tired of playing Elder Scrolls games because they have what I consider to be a great game: Active combat, rich environment, and a storyline I could repeat over and over.

Sorry Blizzard but it's time you learned you were only good because you were the only well funded MMO around.
    What does your long biased rant have to do with this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceJam View Post

Ohh right, the game that has been in development for 10 years, and even looks it (hey ESO, 2003 wants it's character models and shitty animations back), is going to wipe the floor with WoW. Just what every disillusioned WoW fan really wants: another everquest 2 lookalike.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2013-12-13 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    You and I both know there's a lot more to the dwarves, but NEITHER of these races were the focal point of an expansion.
    Yes they have a funny accent, too.
    But seriously, yes the dwarfs are more than a bunch of (scottish) clichès but so are the pandaren. Still you see a lot of "LOL KUNGFUPANDA" but no "LOL HIGHLANDERDWARFS".
    And while the dwarfs didn't have a whole expansion centered on them they were very prominent in WotLK (i still hate Bran ) and you really could argue if Pandaren are the focal point of MOP and not the Sha/Garrosh story.

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    Yes they have a funny accent, too.
    But seriously, yes the dwarfs are more than a bunch of (scottish) clichès but so are the pandaren. Still you see a lot of "LOL KUNGFUPANDA" but no "LOL HIGHLANDERDWARFS".
    And while the dwarfs didn't have a whole expansion centered on them they were very prominent in WotLK (i still hate Bran ) and you really could argue if Pandaren are the focal point of MOP and not the Sha/Garrosh story.
    The sha are a result of the pandaren on pandaria, the other races seem to be pay no attention to them until we arrived.

And for the record I hate brann too, he's just the previous lorewalker cho
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

WoW has lost its tone of seriousness and with it, its immersion too.

Cataclysm could have been great if DS wasnt a horrible raid and more focus was placed on the end-game rather than the 1-60 content BUT I cannot complain about that because I think what they did with the 1-60 content was fantastic and needed.

Im really hoping WoD allows for a more serious tone and a stronger theme that will immerse us. They have 10 levels to do it. Hopefully they will, because I just can't take this expansion serious at all.

After running SoO a billion times and hearing the same poorly written corny lines from Sylvanas to Lor'Themar or the Paragons or pretty much every other boss, I want to rip my eyes and ears out.

The whole theme behind the pandaren could have been done a lot better. Its killing me. I apologize if my opinion differs from yours to the point where you feel the need to angrily disagree with me and bash me.

EDIT: I appreciate what they are doing with the lore with the Garrosh build-up, but I really really really am agitated by the delivery of it (if that makes sense)
    You are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    The sha are a result of the pandaren on pandaria, the other races seem to be pay no attention to them until we arrived.

And for the record I hate brann too, he's just the previous lorewalker cho
    The sha are the result of the titans killing the old god Y'shaarj, corrupting the land with this embodiment of negative emotion. The pandaren didn't cause it, the sha were there long before they ever did anything significant on Pandaria.

They had it fairly decently under control, till we came along and brought anger and hatred and violence and every other kind of emotion the sha feed upon to Pandaria... en masse.

That the sha appeared when we did is evidence of this. Hell, Zhu explicitly said such. You'd have to close your eyes and plug your ears to miss it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow. You really haven't been paying much attention all these years, have you?

10+ Year Old Account
    OP:

Define immature scenery? I googled the term and found two relevant results:
    http://amongthelivingthings.blogspot...e-scenery.html
    This website with some dude who has a crush on his cousin.

and this thread.

Seems like desperation to have a complaint when you have to make up a term that means nothing?

10+ Year Old Account
    guys guys guys please OP is entitled to his opinion. We may disagree with him but why bother keep arguing and trying to get him to see our point of view. Wasted effort.

Honestly nothing needs to be said with besides "I disagree with everything you said....good day."

Quote Originally Posted by Doorsfan View Post
    Warcraft has never been about being lighthearted. The very name implies war. And the craft of said war.

The big reason, big lore characters were big to begin with wasn't because they were lighthearted nor because they were comical or Silly. They were individuals who made tough choises, went through tragedies and turned from having a very good outlook, to the complete opposite (i.e Arthas)

Now, you could try to argue that it's "fresh" - But if you don't like what is in essence YEARS of doing and YEARS of Thematic.. When A LOT of people follow that theme that has been around for YEARS... Yeah. You're probably not a majority then. WoD supports this idea. Because the developers themselves said they want to go back to what feels as "Warcraft".

Pandas being portrayed as light hearted, silly alcoholics - at least as far as i am concerned.. Does NOT fit the earlier theme that has been Warcraft in any aspect whatsoever. It would be a pretty hard argument to make as well that it would not break off TOO hard from that running theme of you know, people you come to love and apprechiate who then turn to destroy everything they ever had.

TL;DR - Silly Alcoholic Pandas does not match up to lengthy lore-heavy and lore-enriched characters who meet their fate.
    because "me not that kind of orc" wasn't from w2 or anything

goblin sappers, dwarfs, pop references every mission, ect ya; warcraft has "never" had lighthearted moments...

tldr, dwarfs are far more alcholic then pandas, spaceships, talking cows, murlocs, ect ect. LK and DW where reduced to bad Saturday mourning cartoon villans and you call them enriched characters...now that is comical.