New GPU or CPU? Need advice !

Hi, I currently have an i5-2500k cpu and a gtx 560ti

I'm currently playing battlefield 4 on pc and IF there are any games cod Ghosts. Problem is both those games don't really run too smooth for me. Call of duty it FPS stutters a lot Im guessing its on their end because the graphics don't look advanced

Battlefield 4 I'm playign on a mix of High / medium settings and it is generally smooth until I start to see other players around / vehicles. Some maps are specifically slow like Paracel storm team deathmatch, the fps is unplayable in that mode / map.

So I'm thinking of upgrading either my GPU or CPU, which would help more? My budget is about ~200-250$ which cpu / gpu should I be looking out for that would give significant performance for battlefield 4.

if it is the gpu, which model / brand has the least amount of known issues / defects?
    I remember my 560 ti had good reviews back then but they had a lot of common problems such as the fan (which I have experienced and had to replace with manufacturer)

Thanks for opinions guys

You should have zero problems with those games, make sure your drivers are up to date and check system temps to start with.

Overclock the CPU and upgrade the GPU. The 560ti is starting to show its age in the newest games.

The games run
    Ghosts i believe its because of poor optimization for the pc it can be super smooth and fps stuttering at any random moment

Bf4 its smooth up until big battles or smoke appears on screen
    This is with high and medium settings
    I would like to play this game on high and ultra settings with no fp stutter at any given time

Ofc i would love to play it at max ultra settings but i understand i would need to get a pretty high end gpu and cpu for that

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Overclock the CPU and upgrade the GPU. The 560ti is starting to show its age in the newest games.
    I remember trying to overclock the cpu in bios
    I followed some guides but my asus mobo seems to have some options hidden or locked if i remember right
    Im on my mobile ill check later what my mobo is

Quote Originally Posted by SilverW View Post
    The games run
    Ghosts i believe its because of poor optimization for the pc it can be super smooth and fps stuttering at any random moment

Bf4 its smooth up until big battles or smoke appears on screen
    This is with high and medium settings
    I would like to play this game on high and ultra settings with no fp stutter at any given time

Ofc i would love to play it at max ultra settings but i understand i would need to get a pretty high end gpu and cpu for that
    Then you are going to need to upgrade your GPU.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    well bro i have a amd athron 2 and a amd 7770 hd card i can run battlefield 4 on ultra settings no prob just make sure your drivers are up to date and you should be grand

Yeah im thinking of a new gpu
    Which gpu would you recommend in the 200-250 range?
    I prefer nvidia though i dont mind trying an amd card

- - - Updated - - -

What kind of fps are you getting sigo?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverW View Post
    Yeah im thinking of a new gpu
    Which gpu would you recommend in the 200-250 range?
    I prefer nvidia though i dont mind trying an amd card

- - - Updated - - -

What kind of fps are you getting sigo?
    A GTX 760 would be right up your alley then. And it's a 2 series jump (500 to 700 series). I know alot of people recommend upgrading your GPU every other series if you can afford it (if not, then waiting till the third series jump works too).

Plus if you buy a GTX 760 right now, I think it qualifies you for the 3 games holiday bundle (Batman, Splinter Cell, and Assassin's Creed).
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2013-12-12 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigo View Post
    well bro i have a amd athron 2 and a amd 7770 hd card i can run battlefield 4 on ultra settings no prob just make sure your drivers are up to date and you should be grand
    I'm somewhat skeptical that you can run BF4 on ultra with no hiccups whatsoever with that CPU and GPU @1080p. I guess that would depend on what frame rate you would call okay. Different story if you are playing at a lower resolution of course.

OP: An AMD R9 270X is right around the ballpark of your price range, and it should get you around 60 FPS on ultra @ 1080p without any AA. You'd find much better results spending towards the $300-$400 range. Either an R9 280X or R9 290. Unfortunately you picked the worst time to need a new video card - Newegg is all out of 280x and 290's, so they've inflated their prices until they get more stock in.

You can find some Nvidia video cards but would have to pay more for the same performance since the AMD ones are better optimized for BF4. You would need a GTX 680 or GTX 770 to perform at the same level as an R9 270X for BF4 specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by ocis View Post
    I'm somewhat skeptical that you can run BF4 on ultra with no hiccups whatsoever with that CPU and GPU @1080p. I guess that would depend on what frame rate you would call okay. Different story if you are playing at a lower resolution of course.

OP: An AMD R9 270X is right around the ballpark of your price range, and it should get you around 60 FPS on ultra @ 1080p without any AA. You'd find much better results spending towards the $300-$400 range. Either an R9 280X or R9 290. Unfortunately you picked the worst time to need a new video card - Newegg is all out of 280x and 290's, so they've inflated their prices until they get more stock in.

You can find some Nvidia video cards but would have to pay more for the same performance since the AMD ones are better optimized for BF4. You would need a GTX 680 or GTX 770 to perform at the same level as an R9 270X for BF4 specifically.
    No, no, and no. A GTX 760 can run BF4 on Ultra just fine. I've seen it with my own eyes. Plus, if he's willing to spend just a bit of extra cash, then the GTX 770 is even better and WAY worth it.

Well he didn't mention in his OP that he wanted to play games on ultra...thats why i said leave his stuff and just make sure its running properly in regards to drivers/temps. A format probably wouldnt hurt either if he hasnt done it in a while, that can almost guarantee a smooth running system again.

Yes, if you wanna play the new games on ultra you are gonna have to spend some cash, but tbh man ultra doesent look much different on most games than high does. Im still rocking a gtx 465 and i dont plan on upgrading til the real 700 series cards come out (I.E 800), not rebrands of the 600 series. To the guy above, every 3 gens is really the standard upgrade cycle.

I do not own BF4 but i can guarantee i could find a mix of settings that looks dam near ultra all the while pegging 60 fps vsync, on a OC'd 2500k/gtx 465.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2013-12-12 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Well he didn't mention in his OP that he wanted to play games on ultra...thats why i said leave his stuff and just make sure its running properly in regards to drivers/temps. A format probably wouldnt hurt either if he hasnt done it in a while, that can almost guarantee a smooth running system again.

Yes, if you wanna play the new games on ultra you are gonna have to spend some cash, but tbh man ultra doesent look much different on most games than high does. Im still rocking a gtx 465 and i dont plan on upgrading til the real 700 series cards come out (I.E 800), not rebrands of the 600 series. To the guy above, every 3 gens is really the standard upgrade cycle.

I do not own BF4 but i can guarantee i could find a mix of settings that looks dam near ultra all the while pegging 60 fps vsync, on a OC'd 2500k/gtx 465.
    Yes bf4 still looks good on medium to high but on ultra i see a difference
    Especially aa and texture / resolutions
    To me high looks good due to the lighting and colors but the details feel somewhat smudged (nkt literally but i dont know how to explain it lol)
    When i put up the resolution slider man i can really see how much sharper the models get but my fps really suffers

Post processing, details options i have to set all that on medium to be playable

- - - Updated - - -

Hey zephyr im interested in the 760 actually
    Is the extra money worth it vs a 660ti? I think i read that the 760 is really the same as the 660ti just slightly better

Ya i cant comment on BF4 specifically cause i dont own it, but just in my experience over the years if you tweak the settings enough you can get a near ultra experience without the massive fps losses that usually accompany it.

Thing is you already own a fairly powerful video card, suggesting a 760 feels weird its simply not large enough of an upgrade to feel good about. Save your money and buy a 780 is my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    No, no, and no. A GTX 760 can run BF4 on Ultra just fine. I've seen it with my own eyes. Plus, if he's willing to spend just a bit of extra cash, then the GTX 770 is even better and WAY worth it.
    I never said the GTX 760 wasn't capable, nor that it is in general an inferior card to the 270X. I have a GTX 670 myself, which is essentially the same card, so I'm well aware of its performance. I'm just saying that, for BF4 specifically, the 270X will be slightly better (and it's slightly cheaper as well). In the end it all boils down to what games you want to play and what price points you can get each card at.

Edit: The 760 is slightly faster than the 660Ti, whether or not it's worth it depends on what the price difference is. If you can afford it, I would suggest getting a 770 instead, it's worth the extra money over the 760, and you'll feel more of a performance boost.
    Last edited by ocis; 2013-12-12 at 09:29 AM.

One more thing ill mention, why not try finding a 560ti on craigslist to SLI with? I just looked on my local craigslist and there is one on there for 50 bucks.

It would be a waste of money on Gtx 700 series anyway,unless if you are not interested in Gtx 780,780ti or Titan (they are using different gpus than other gtx 700 series cards ) So it would be a wise decision to wait for 800 series,which will have a newer architecture and probably will have lot's of benefits.Less power draw,more efficiency and more o.c possibility.

These are my humble opinions,cheers

- - - Updated - - -

SLI comes with problems if you have a retail design cards.It will draw really more power than most of the current generation cards.Single or SLI does not matter it will be a huge waste of power also tempatures will be incredibly high due to SLI.I just tried to do that with my GTX 570 Classifieds and results are just not worth it i can say.
    TBC syndrome, is the worst mental disorder in these days.

Just throwing it out as an option champ. Cheap way to massively increase performance in bf4 (bf4 scales incredibly well in sli). I find it funny you mention electricity cost in the same breath as suggesting titans and 780's lol.