Deleted

[Disc] Gemming for socket bonuses?

What are your opinions on gemming for socket bonuses?
    I'm already not gemming for socket bonuses on stuff like rings, boots and cloak.

I finally got my tier chest (picked shadow version for stats) and I'm pondering if i should go Int+Crit or just raw Crit gems on it.
    As you may know, it has 3 red sockets and a +180 bonus.

Int+crit gems:
    80+80+80+180 = 420 int
    160+160+160 crit = 480 crit

Pure crit gems:
    320+320+320 = 960 crit

I'm just short of 50k spellpower and 40% crit raidbuffed btw.
    Last edited by mmoc1b009d603f; 2013-12-12 at 02:39 PM.

What's the point of the tier chest if you don't pick the correct one?

I never ignore large Int socket bonuses, but that's just me. It's more stats in the longrun to work with. Since Int is always valuable (unlike spirit, where you can literally have too much), I'd keep gem'ing to meet the large int socket bonuses.

Int+ crit gems.

I ignore spirit socket bonuses, but otherwise I do get them.

And yeah, what's the point of the tier piece if you get the shadow one? The Disc 2p is really strong too.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

Quote Originally Posted by Naer View Post
    What's the point of the tier chest if you don't pick the correct one?
    ^^

The shadow tier chest has optimal secondary stats for disc, but, being that it can't be acquired in a warforged version, is inferior to the Thok chest - which, with 2r and 1y socket, allows for more crit socketing while retaining the socket bonus.
    Last edited by Bigslick; 2013-12-12 at 02:52 PM.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslick View Post
    ^^

The shadow tier chest has optimal secondary stats for disc, but, being that it can't be acquired in a warforged version, is inferior to the Thok chest.
    And inferior to Shock Pulse Robes (Iron Juggernaut) for that matter (especially with 2pc, sitll drowning in mastery here... and okay on spirit until I get a trinket from this tier... *sigh*)

And inferior to Shock Pulse Robes (Iron Juggernaut) for that matter (especially with 2pc, sitll drowning in mastery here... and okay on spirit until I get a trinket from this tier... *sigh*)
    You're lucky - at least you're seeing good heroic content... Tough to do when me and one other healer are over 1/2 the healing done by a 6-man healing corps But yes, Shock Pulse is nice too, esp. if you have any use whatsoever for more spirit.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslick View Post
    You're lucky - at least you're seeing good heroic content... Tough to do when me and one other healer are over 1/2 the healing done by a 6-man healing corps But yes, Shock Pulse is nice too, esp. if you have any use whatsoever for more spirit.
    (don't look at my amory right now, it's not what I normally wear heh)

Yes with the heroic helm, heroic shoulders that are both spirit-less, plus trinkets that are not that great anymore (HLG was nerfed), I can't seem to safely push myself lower than 8k. I can't imagine losing the spirit from my robe, that'd put me in the 7k range and it just wouldn't be enough for say, Heroic Thok.

I'm sorry to hear about your raiding situation. I'd hate to be stuck with a comp that doesn't play competitively.

Deleted
    My thinking about the gem socket bonus is that with 50k spellpower, I'd need something like 400-500 int to see even 1% increase.

Crit needs roughly 600 rating I believe for 1% chance, which then double-dips from mastery and almost never overheal.
    I dno, I just feel crit is the better stat at this point.

I did a quick google search for some real math on the matter but only found junk. :/

The difference between Shock Pulse Robes (WF, spirit -> mastery reforge) and Shadow tier is -15 int, +206 crit, -934 mastery and +1061 spirit though. I'd say ~900 mastery is a fair trade for ~200 crit and some subjectively not needed spirit. (As the guild's unwanted gear trash can, I have them all and I am using shadow tier for disc since Thok refuses to drop the chest)

On the actual subject... I doubt 420 int to be worse than 480 crit, although at this point of time I doubt the difference is noticeable by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by laplacedemon View Post
    The difference between Shock Pulse Robes (WF, spirit -> mastery reforge) and Shadow tier is -15 int, +206 crit, -934 mastery and +1061 spirit though. I'd say ~900 mastery is a fair trade for ~200 crit and some subjectively not needed spirit. (As the guild's unwanted gear trash can, I have them all and I am using shadow tier for disc since Thok refuses to drop the chest)

On the actual subject... I doubt 420 int to be worse than 480 crit, although at this point of time I doubt the difference is noticeable by any means.
    Right but shadow tier means losing a tier token to unsuable tier pieces.

I wouldn't ignore all that int. If anything, just gem one way, log. Gem another way, log. See how it feels.

Deleted
    Right but shadow tier means losing a tier token to unsuable tier pieces.
    That makes no sense...

I've got 2p (gloves+shoulders), just don't feel the 4p is worth the overall worse stats.
    I'm hoping I can get tier pants so I can switch one of them for a crit+mst item.

Since i don't have access to another chest and have been using Thok LFR for the longest time, this is a significant upgrade for me.

I didn't know you had your 2pc =P I also use the 4pc on occasion, but I was assuming you just used the tier token for a shadow piece and you DIDN'T have the 2pc, because no where was it mentioned. The 2pc greatly buffs your crit (works out to be an average of ~5-6% assuming perfect AA usage).

Hmmm.

I would probably still do Int/Crit again because you get a certain percent of Crit from Int. From this source: http://www.howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2305

Apparently 2533.6636 Intellect = 1% Spell Crit for a level 90 Priest

So if you're looking to maximize crit, sure, ignore the socket bonuses. But remember that with your 2pc, the value of crit diminishes significantly enough that ignoring an int socket bonus seems silly. Int brings more raw healing and damage, and if you're reliably generating DA, you shouldn't need to stack more crit.

So I would gem to meet the socket bonus.