Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Lowering the gold cap will do nothing but piss off a bunch of players..what will happen to gold capped players when all that gold is..gone

I think people would rather spent the gold on something tangible versus it just going poof

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    But if people are saying 150k isn't much doesn't that imply goldsinks aren't working
    There are gold sinks in the game that are over 100k gold. A couple hundred thousand gold after years of playing isn't much and indicates that gold sinks ARE working given how much gold we've had pass through our virtual fingers in that time.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Gold sinks are an extremely healthy and important thing to have for a game in which gold is generated constantly in large amounts.

But if people are saying 150k isn't much doesn't that imply goldsinks aren't working
    Not really. People will always find a stronger way to make money than the current goldsink mitigates.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerDude40 View Post
    Hell no. Everything should be cheap. Whether in a game or real life. Cater to everyone's NEEDS....not their wants.
    Nothing in this game is a need, not to mention you can farm what you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have mixed feelings about gold sinks. Things that I've seen as a gold sink exist to keep the player/gold economy in check. Like how in Vanilla it took a while to earn gold since every level had us paying out what we presumably earned via quests for new and upgraded abilities. Other gold sinks, more recently, are things like faster flying and the Black Market Auction house.

I think Blizzard tries to invent certain luxuries so there are not as many players with too much gold. But I can't help but feel no matter how much something is, per say, a luxury someone out there *needs* it.

Edit:

Does WoW need Goldsinks? Maybe. I feel like somehow you have to keep players from earning too much gold to the point they can "buy" their way to victory.
    Last edited by Silver-Fox; 2013-12-12 at 06:30 PM.

Of course we do, the more time you have to make gold the more money we make
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Life Lesson #1 - People are terrible.

Don't let it get to you. It'll only spoil your own personal enjoyment if you do.

All a gold sink really does is make it so gold from doing quests and looting mobs remains a viable method for obtaining it. Without a gold sink the prices on everything would go up, which wouldn't be a bad thing, because for everything you are buying, the stuff that you should be selling should have gone up proportionally. So, enchants cost more because of inflation? Well go farm ore, and sell it because that went up too. Same for every profession. Like I said, it just makes it so quests and looting mobs keeps up as a viable method. Otherwise Blizz would have to keep increasing the gold from loot and quests to keep up, which would only worsen the inflation. Gold sinks solve this problem.

No you would just forbid prices going up so people can get what they need.
    And how do you propose that without heavily limiting the auction house and completely stopping the free market?

Gold sinks are needed because a lot of people have a lot of money, I have over half a million spread over a few servers, and that's without doing any funky AH stuff, if there was no gold sinks then the inflation would be crazy and no poor person would be able to afford much on the AH.
    My addons:
    Announce Interrupts: Announces in chat when you interrupt a spell.
    Tol Barad Reminder: Reminds you to queue for Tol Barad by printing a message when the battle is approaching.
    EasyLogger: Turns on /combatlog inside raid instances, and off outside.
    Simple class resource bars: Paladin Rogue Shaman Monk Priest

What's your opinion - Do we really need overly expensive goldsinks? Is it necessary ?
    Not at all. It is just like Heroic Raiding.. for like 1 % of the players. complete bullshit to stroke the dicks of the cheaters that bot or spend too much time on WoW.

Honestly I don't think anything should cost over 10k for a single item, but I am an average player that does not work the AH or run dailies everyday. The most gold I have ever had on me at once was 40k, which wouldn't even get me some of the trade mounts, and not even close for that yak. Having prices so high kills my enthusiasm for those items.

Due to how many players (although a minority) that have a ton of gold and are possibly at the gold cap, money sinks are needed. But they make poorer players feel that much poorer because they know they can't obtain something. That makes gold sellers much more enticing. An idea to create gold sinks while not killing poorer players from getting something:

Step 1.) Make gold battle.net account wide. Would have to increase the gold cap in such a case or create a bank of sorts to house excess gold while also not allowing you to obtain more gold until you're below the gold cap again.

Step 2.) Have money sinks be a % of the gold on your account. Like the reforging yak is like 120k now. Perhaps make it like 10% of someone's gold. So a person with 10,000 would only pay 1,000g while someone with 1 million would pay 100,000g. Only restrict this to select vendor items and perhaps give items a minimum value so they do still remain fairly rare. So maybe the yak's minimum price remains 120k but once you hit a certain gold threshold (perhaps twice the item's minimum price), the price goes up.

Granted, people would cheat the system by trading gold to friends for a moment before buying something, and it could possibly trigger a gold buying flag with Blizzard. You also have the chance of the person not giving you your money back. On the other side, this would open up money sink items to poorer players and make buying gold less desirable because buying gold only makes the items you want more expensive.

Other idea is to put a tax on gold. You automatically get 1% or so of your gold removed each month up to perhaps 10% on a scale. Someone under 1,000g might not pay any tax while those at the gold cap pay 10% a month. Forces richer players to either use it or lose it. Money removed via tax can then be divided up into random drawings or contests and given out to random players on the server. Maybe winning players get 1% of the total amount taxed so 100 players per servers basically get free gold every month. Perhaps also have you have to spent a certain amount a month relative to how much you have to skip the tax the following month. So either you spend that gold during the month or you lose it the next month via the tax. So again, use it or lose it. Inactive accounts would be exempt from this since it'd be unfair to log back in after several months hiatus only to find your massive fortune is now a pittance of what it was.

Don't see either being implemented, honestly. The crying would be immense. I just see Blizzard tossing in something costing like 250k or better in WoD and calling it good.

Personally it is nice to have those things that you might someday buy if you got enough gold. The last time I actively farmed gold was for the epic flying in BC which was a very useful luxury item. Blizzard just not need to forget those who dont constantly farm gold or have control of an AH market.

Features like the BMAH does some good while I am not a fan of heroic level loot being available at the start of a tier and how Blizzard has turned a blind eye to same faction griefing especially when its done to keep items low in price which ends up countering the goal of BMAH and having those items on the BMAH.
    Last edited by nekobaka; 2013-12-12 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sildor View Post
    And how do you propose that without heavily limiting the auction house and completely stopping the free market?

Gold sinks are needed because a lot of people have a lot of money, I have over half a million spread over a few servers, and that's without doing any funky AH stuff, if there was no gold sinks then the inflation would be crazy and no poor person would be able to afford much on the AH.
    You would need someone to regulate. Just like someone should be regulating corporate america. Dunno who since even the govt cant be trusted. Way too many greedy people out there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rivelle View Post
    I sense sarcasm in this post, but just in case you weren't being sarcastic...

I change characters a lot so I never tend to have much gold wherever I've made my new toon, a lot of them don't even surpass 10k, but I don't think I've ever needed much gold for things I "need" in game. The only things I'd consider really needed anyways is gold for repairs, flasks, potions, food, gems, enchants and reforging.

Anything else is a "want", and if I want it but can't afford it, that's on me to go out and put the time in to learn how to and actually get enough gold for my wants.

I'm fine with the high gold cap, fine with the large gold sinks for players that have a lot of gold, and happy that most of those items are vanity type items such as mounts, pets and transmog items.
    Yes those things are needed. Now blizz just added a new 1 with cross realm BoA mailing. Now if you could only attach gold to your BoA mails. That way if starting on a new realm you can have starter funds for that toon or if you play both factions you can help that toon out as well. The neutral AH is bs with that 20% cut they take.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell no. Everything should be cheap. Whether in a game or real life. Cater to everyone's NEEDS....not their wants.
    That's impossible. Without a way to remove currency from the market, it accumulates and drives up prices by lowering the value of goods.

The proper way to "regulate" the market is to control the supply of money by ensuring that money is entering and leaving the economy at an acceptable rate. This helps control inflation so that purchasing power is strong. Blizzard accomplishes this in a few ways: preventing huge transfers of gold by server transferring, preventing mailing gold cross-server (excellent move), monitoring large transactions to catch gold sellers, and providing gold sinks to move money out of the system.

As a result, on most large servers, the prices aren't wildly out of control. We don't want WoW to turn into Nigeria, who was issuing trillion-dollar notes.

Far better the BMAH as a gold sink than even more extreme overpricing and market manipulation in the AH. Though in a circular way the AH gets driven as a means to fund the BMAH so it's not perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Not at all. It is just like Heroic Raiding.. for like 1 % of the players. complete bullshit to stroke the dicks of the cheaters that bot or spend too much time on WoW.
    Buying cheap mats and crafting goods w/ them isn't hard. I spent maybe 10-15 min a day buying cheap mats and crafting things that sell.
    I have over a million gold.

Just because you can't do it or are too lazy to do it doesn't make us cheaters or bots.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    ..not all people at gold cap cheat or spend too much time on wow..many basically just understand economics and know how to play the AH...

One of the reasons why some people have a lot of gold is many people, like me, don't care for gold so are willing to spend over inflated prices for things.

I normally hover around 20-30k gold just because I like buying vanity pets and I don't see much value in having more than that. Its not like, unlike RL, you need much gold for needs. If you farm your own mats, you need 0 gold basically. If you buy them, its still very, very cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    It helps keep gold inflation down. Personally I think all those mounts and pets in the Blizzard store should have just been in game for an exorbitant amount of gold instead.
    And how does Blizzard make money from that? LOL