About to Assemble New Build - How's It Lookin'?

Hey all,
    College student, reporting in. Of course, instead of studying for finals/doing finals, I am posting on here, and building myself a new gaming desktop. This is my first build ever, other than simple additions of RAM and upgrading a graphics card on a prebuilt my parents would buy from Best Buy as a child. Now, I have done quite a bit of research, and here is what I bought, and prices alongside! Just wanted some input on what others thought. Also, will post pics of building and whatnot! Here is a parts list though!

Graphics Card = 310$ (10$ Mail-In-Rebate, 3 free games[Assassin's Creed BlackFlag, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Batman - Arkham Origins])
    Case = 130$ (30$ MIR)
    Power Supply = 90$ (30$ MIR)
    Hard Drive = 80$
    Processor = 210$
    Ram = 170$
    Motherboard = 150$
    Heatsink = 35$
    Total Price = 1105$ U.S. (1175$ Total - 70$ rebate, plus three good games free!)
    I am planning on using a nice 24-27" screen with a high resolution, 1080, or if I can find a nice one, 2560. But what do you guys think for the package? How'd I do?

EDIT: If parts say different price, it is because they changed. The stated prices are what I paid, with any MIR's or gifts stated after.
    Last edited by Scoobasteve1226; 2013-12-12 at 06:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fixed the links for you, and moving this to build/upgrade sub-forum.

That said, the build looks pretty good. I do feel like there's more money being spent than needs to. The PSU is overkill. For a drive that expensive, get an SSD, or a cheaper drive. Do you need that much ram? A cheaper board might be nice
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Thank you! Sorry for not posting in the right area. Been awhile since I posted!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Fixed the links for you, and moving this to build/upgrade sub-forum.

That said, the build looks pretty good. I do feel like there's more money being spent than needs to. The PSU is overkill. For a drive that expensive, get an SSD, or a cheaper drive. Do you need that much ram? A cheaper board might be nice
    I bought the PSU because it was only 60$ after rebate, and I figured I could use it for future upgrading purposes. Was it still mega overkill? Hahha it was a Cyber Monday deal!
    The drive was meant as a slave drive basically, with a SSD coming in the spring when I get more funds!
    I did go overkill on the ram. Honestly, I can only conclude that I was fine with 8, but wanted more to run a server off as well.
    The board honestly confused me when I was browsing them. I didn't get the difference between the "Plus" "Pro", etc etc etc versions. I just went with one in the middle that was a full sized board and had the sockets I needed.

Thank you for your input by the way sir!

Deleted
    Honestly? I would have chucked the RAM away along with the GPU, plugged for a 7970GHz or an R9-280X and something like the G-Skill Ripjaws X that was on offer at sub-$100 after rebates on Black Friday, and gotten an SSD before building.

It's not that your build is actively bad - it's that you overpaid on parts that you didn't need to, missing out on parts that give a quality-of-life upgrade on the PC.
    Last edited by mmoc5a460f7641; 2013-12-13 at 10:37 AM. Reason: can't count

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobasteve1226 View Post
    I bought the PSU because it was only 60$ after rebate
    Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent PSU. I just meant 'overkill' in that you could have gotten less wattage/certification at less cost without 'losing' anything. But if you got it for $60, that's a steal and a deal. At that price there's nothing really wrong with it. I often refer to things as overkill when they are too expensive to be justified by the hardware involved.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobasteve1226 View Post
    Hey all,
    College student, reporting in. Of course, instead of studying for finals/doing finals, I am posting on here, and building myself a new gaming desktop. This is my first build ever, other than simple additions of RAM and upgrading a graphics card on a prebuilt my parents would buy from Best Buy as a child. Now, I have done quite a bit of research, and here is what I bought, and prices alongside! Just wanted some input on what others thought. Also, will post pics of building and whatnot! Here is a parts list though!

Graphics Card = 310$ (10$ Mail-In-Rebate, 3 free games[Assassin's Creed BlackFlag, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Batman - Arkham Origins])
    Case = 130$ (30$ MIR)
    Power Supply = 90$ (30$ MIR)
    Hard Drive = 80$
    Processor = 210$
    Ram = 170$
    Motherboard = 150$
    Heatsink = 35$
    Total Price = 1105$ U.S. (1175$ Total - 70$ rebate, plus three good games free!)
    I am planning on using a nice 24-27" screen with a high resolution, 1080, or if I can find a nice one, 2560. But what do you guys think for the package? How'd I do?

EDIT: If parts say different price, it is because they changed. The stated prices are what I paid, with any MIR's or gifts stated after.
    Welp here was my build this xmas if you want to compare. I have a local Microcenter so that is kind of cheating.
    4770k Microcenter and MSI z87 G41. 265 bucks.
    Gskill Ares 1600 @ 50 bucks newegg. I could have done better here. They had 1866 cl9 for same price later in the week.
    Hyper 212 evo 30 bucks.
    Seagate Barracuda 55 bucks if I remember right at Microcenter.
    GPU. 7870 was 110 after tax at newegg with a promo code rebate
    Case 25 bucks gx700 @ NCIX
    Power supply was 55 after rebate Corsair 600M.
    Little over 600 with tax.

4770k is @ 4.4 at 1.15 volts with cool temps on the Evo. Ram is @ 2133 CL10 T1. 7870 is overclocked to 1200 so better then a 270x. My case might be the ugliest thing I have ever seen though.

Edit. I have not received one rebate yet though I do have tracking numbers for them all.