Thread: Heroic Malkorak

Heroic Malkorak

Starting next week, Just looking for a lowdown on what I should expect to be doing, spec, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your single target spec, and with hitting the boss. If you're combat and incidental AoE isn't enough, /flurry on for the adds. Depending on your comp and strat, you may run to the melee puddles, and you may do a super-speed run of the orbs in a section of the room with CloS.

Otherwise, patchwerk his kidneys in.

For me, it's absolutely not a patchwerk-style boss.
    I take every single void at melee range. Use Burst of Speed to counter the root from the add.
    Use elusiveness to mitigate way more the void damage.
    You can hit two birds with one stone. When the breath happens, use CoS and hit as many white balls as you can. Then come back to melee.

Use your smoke bomb during P2, be sure to be close enough from tank, behind the boss.

10m perspective here. I'm not sure if you're 10 or 25; I don't think 25m is too different anyway.

Rogues have two niche jobs on this fight:

Soaking puddles: take BoS and Elusiveness. BoS will clear the add's slowing aura for a short time, allowing you to easily get to the melee puddle in time. Have Feint up when it implodes and it will barely scratch your shield. This part is exactly the same as normal except with BoS to counter the heroic-only add.

Clearing orbs: take the Sprint glyph. In p1, if you have CoS available after soaking a puddle, pop Sprint+CoS and clear some orbs for your ranged buddies. During p2, everyone can clear orbs regardless of having an immunity, so just pop Feint and clear the melee area of orbs and tunnel the boss.

10 man perspective here as well.

Our strategy involved stacking for phase 2 and using stamp roar to dispel debuffs. Because of this, ranged didn't clear orbs during that phase (seeing as we were all stacked). Basically I did all of the orb clearance. Every time CoS was off CD, I'd run around and clear orbs and every time I soaked a pool I would pick up a few orbs. My health could (and did) get dangerously low (2% at one point) during phase 1 but it was a non-issue since shield health is all that matters during that phase if everyone is doing their jobs. Other members of the raid could have done the same but they chose not to for whatever reason. I may have had 70% uptime on the boss using this strat.

I do not recommend this strategy at all and am really just typing it as a warning. *Snowflake*
    We killed Malk this way in about 2 raid nights but we'll likely be changing to a more standard strategy moving forward.

25man here:
    just tank n spank. we have our monks clear the room, i might clear some bubbles in melee range wit CoS sometimes when needed so its safe.
    during bloodrage (the AoE in front of him) we stack up and let our 2 druids dispell the debuff (with stampeding roar)

10+ Year Old Account
    We've killed him a few times now, and this last week I tried sub and loved it. Combat suffers more, at least in my experience, from being off the boss, which is something you'll inevitably have to deal with when you soak orbs with cloak/sprint as others have mentioned.

I have heroic AoC so cloak was on a shorter CD, which allowed me to soak any errant melee orbs that threatened the tank and our DPS warrior (three spawned INSIDE a pool). Just be aware of when you need to get to the safe zones and use cloak intelligently, and you'll find it's maybe the best group survival tool anyone has on this fight.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaluna View Post
    I take every single void at melee range. Use Burst of Speed to counter the root from the add.
    Woah. That sure must take some skills.

//jealous ranged player

infracted: trolling
    Last edited by Kael; 2013-12-13 at 12:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Soak orbs after first stack with cloak and rocket boots otherwise single target his brains out.

Go combat for blade flurry, it's such a minor single target dps loss compared to the add cleave and the rest of your raid can tunnel the boss. You might be soaking orbs , if so rocket boots + cloak is awesome, sprint if you get leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspectsftw View Post
    Go combat for blade flurry, it's such a minor single target dps loss compared to the add cleave and the rest of your raid can tunnel the boss. You might be soaking orbs , if so rocket boots + cloak is awesome, sprint if you get leak.
    I'd like to add that I also would suggest combat (or assassination) over subtlety, mainly because positioning is pain in the ass if you're soaking puddles. If not, spec isn't issue at all.

Deleted
    Combat seems the way to go as you will have either KS or AR/SB up for most adds (10-man). KS with two 2.6 weaps blows that ooze back into the shadows faster than it can say "YOLO", and Restless Blades increases the likelyhood of glyphed Sprint being up for your next bubble expedition.

Deleted
    25man perspective here.

I pretty much do nothing different tbh. Our group doesnt have rogues soaking the pools. We only run round soaking the balls with CLoS/sprint/Rocket boots. Shadowstep works fine here if you are about to get smashed a shadowstep will save you and put you at the back of the boss whether or not you have the add slow on you (No need to spam an energy based sprint). I am combat on this fight as cleave is more that enough to destroy them.

The time off from the boss really isnt going to kill your dps. We have enough tools to get back into melee quickly SS/Sprint/rocket boots. Your guild might use rogues soaking with the tank so elusiveness will be awesome but our guild uses a single prot pala.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaluna View Post
    You can hit two birds with one stone. When the breath happens, use CoS and hit as many white balls as you can. Then come back to melee.

Use your smoke bomb during P2, be sure to be close enough from tank, behind the boss.
    I do exactly as this guy do ,when our war dps isn't in the group i even mark the Cone attacks in the Malkorok Helper addon.
    edit; Forgot to mention this is 10 man and i don't touch the adds as i run around taking the puddles

we are a 25 man raid team.

Deleted
    When playing 25 here I was playing combat and whoring the shit out of those adds, if you were going to be a nice guy you can run out to soak orbs with cloak off cooldown and if you don't have a dk/pushover who'll happily soak the pools then you should be taking burst of speed to reliably soak them, other than that you probably should take elusiveness but I still like cheat death just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by kilj View Post
    we are a 25 man raid team.
    Go combat to cleave the crap out of those adds. You should have enough melee that it isn't a big deal to get some one to the melee void, but we do have our dk's on back up for ranged voids if some one is down. We all just basically 'try' to get there and we usually have 2-3 get there and I think have only ever had 1 melee void explode which also probably has to do with us cleaving the adds down quickly as the snare is usually gone if the tanks grab them quickly and the ranged behave and don't pull aggro on them.

Incidentally, KS has never killed me when I do it with bf on the adds right as he casts his cone. Could be our positioning, and I'm not saying to 'save' it for them, but it will be up for a lot of the add spawns and will help make quick work of them to get rid of the snare.

You can clear out melee orbs with cloak if you get a bunch stacked, also works on breath allowing you to ignore the safe areas and clear melee all without ever losing dps. Though personally, I save cloak for p2 if you get the crap on you because it won't blow if you cloak it. You can easily get 3 melee hit with it at once which makes it tricky for your healers. Melee orbs aren't that big of a deal unless some idiot runs over a bunch.

I'd take cd over elusiveness personally. Neither is particularly useful honestly, but imo elusiveness doesn't help with anything at all. Yes, you can elusiveness the voids... or the healers can top your shields up afterwards because the damage in between soaking voids is trivial and they have nothing to do. If you are for some reason running less healers than usual, I guess it might matter, but I see no reason to do that other than those guilds in there the first week or two doing it to compensate for not having a bunch of heroic gear yet.