Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Bored Horde player here. Worth rolling Alliance these days?

I understand my question is highly subjective and most of the answers will be "it depends" and "up to you".

Still, I'd like your opinion on Alliance community these days - talking in general, casuals, LFR, North American servers.

I do not intend this as a holy war, please refrain from abusing members of the opposite faction.

I just have lots of horde toons and ran out of things to do.

Questions to everyone:

1. Is Alliance MOP storyline worth leveling through? I've done Horde one, like, 9 times, lol...
    2. Is there anyone here who plays both Horde and Alliance casually, e.g. uses LFR? How would you guys measure maturity of the community, etc?

Specifically interested - if you're mainly a Horde player, does switching to your casual Alliance alt induce projectile vomiting once you start dealing with people in LFR and/or trade chat?

You may think I'm trolling, but I'm not. I genuinely look for something to do pre-WOD, and leveling an Alliance toon could be one of those options.

Thank you, if you left a constructive post.

1. The Alliance MoP storyline is different in some respects, but overall not a lot. Jade Forest is the most differentiated zone, a bit more in Krasarang and then the rest is largely the same.
    2. I find Alliance groups about the same if not a bit more mature in LFD/LFR
    3. All in all, Alliance vs. Horde communities are about the same. My Alliance alt is in a very friendly and social guild, I see more of that on Alliance vs Horde side but really I don't think my one experience of one server is statistically significant.
    4. The one thing I will say is different is that I SWEAR Alliance random BGs are far superior. Definitely while levelling anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    4. The one thing I will say is different is that I SWEAR Alliance random BGs are far superior. Definitely while levelling anyway.
    Oh that's most definitely true, i remember that from 80-85, last time I've been Alliance...

Thanks for your reply.

It is very worth doing. You cannot judge the maturity of a community based on one server. At large the maturity of the WoW community is about a 3 out of 10. You just have to choose your battles and more importantly choose your friends.

I have not had an alliance 90 yet, but it was my main faction until Cataclysm. Re-playing my newer alliance alt through the new zones in Cataclysm was amazing. Compared to the vanilla quests it felt like a new game.

Needless to say I am close to an Alliance 90 now on a new server, new char, etc. The trade channels are almost identically similar, you will encounter the same awful trolls (360 xbox etc) and you will encounter the same terrible people.

But these people exist at grocery stores, if you gave them a keyboard and an anonymous sign they'd say stupid things too.

I'd play a Dwarf or a Night Elf just because human is so boring and gnomes are awful people, gives you a good alliance starting zone as well. Night Elf if you like forests, Dwarf if you like snowy tundra and architecture. I'd pick dwarf just because, you know, winter and all.

Best of luck to you but I think Alliance chars should be played by everyone just to have a clear idea of the game and its many situations.

1. Alliance Plot is very, very different from Horde when going through the WotLK storyline and the first half of Pandaria. Do questing on that side if your a lore monger.

2. Ally groups are same as Horde in LFG.

As far as PvP goes, Horde generally wins most, but Alliance will always win Alterac Valley and Isle of Conquest. Arena wise, Horde is superior.

I was in a similar situation a few days ago, I have mained Horde since BC and never touched Alliance until about 5 days ago. Decided to make a Priest as I didn't have one yet, so rolled a gnome and got to lvl 15 within a few hours to check out the LFD. Having recently leveled a Horde Shaman, I think I have sufficient experience to compare the two factions.

Without trying to sound arrogant, I have noticed that many more new players play Alliance, just from my LFD experience of course. Little things like people still needing on every item they see, which you don't see as much of on Horde. I was also getting druids tanking in cat form, hunters not using their pets, ect.

From what I have seen in chat there is not much difference, you have trolls on both sides, the only difference is that you don't know the names of all the trolls on Alliance . And there are almost more people standing around in Goldshire as in front of the bank, which you never see on Horde, because everyone is flying around Org.

Of course I am still only in the lower levels of Alliance so I can't give you an in-depth analysis of how LFR would be, but tbh I feel it would be very similar to Horde.

Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    I'd play a Dwarf or a Night Elf just because human is so boring and gnomes are awful people, gives you a good alliance starting zone as well. Night Elf if you like forests, Dwarf if you like snowy tundra and architecture. I'd pick dwarf just because, you know, winter and all.
    Thanks

I guess I should have mentioned that I did have alliance toons before, and I had one (currently deleted to make space for horde toons, but considering to restore) at 85.

So if I went back, I'd probably restore the 85 druid and keep playing through MOP. Not low level zones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dunarius View Post
    Without trying to sound arrogant, I have noticed that many more new players play Alliance, just from my LFD experience of course. Little things like people still needing on every item they see, which you don't see as much of on Horde. I was also getting druids tanking in cat form, hunters not using their pets, ect.
    Oh oh, that's what I feared!

Hopefully those who reached 85-90 have learned a bit, and I'll be able to not /facepalm all the time.

Well, at least until they let the kids buy insta-90s, but that's another thread altogether...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm leveling an Alliance Warrior just so I can have something to mess around in random bgs on. 9 min queues on horde have ruined it.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Eh, I see at least as much bad dungeon etiquette on the Horde side personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    I'm leveling an Alliance Warrior just so I can have something to mess around in random bgs on. 9 min queues on horde have ruined it.
    If they don't restore my druid (I don't know, too many restoration requests or something?) I'll level a dwarf shaman I'm thinking...

i'm in the same boat.. been playing horde only since vanilla.. kinda bored so i thought about rolling alliance.. i want to know what it feels like to win random AV/IoC

They're both about the same, really. I've faction transfered/realm transfered a few times. The only real difference would be racials, if you're the min/max type. Other than that there's not really much difference. Both factions have their fair amount of trolls, both have decently popular realms (obviously PvP is mostly Horde centered, PvE for Alliance), and both have nice amounts of casual/hardcore guilds. I would suggest going to a PvE realm if you plan on leveling an Alliance toon, though.

The only real difference between the two, when you get down to it, are aesthetics.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mgs View Post

1. Is Alliance MOP storyline worth leveling through? I've done Horde one, like, 9 times, lol...
    2. Is there anyone here who plays both Horde and Alliance casually, e.g. uses LFR? How would you guys measure maturity of the community, etc?

Specifically interested - if you're mainly a Horde player, does switching to your casual Alliance alt induce projectile vomiting once you start dealing with people in LFR and/or trade chat?
    The maturity level/community is pretty much the same both alliance and horde side. If you are interested in lore, sure it is worth doing quest on alliance side too. But tbh honest if you are bored on horde side you will be bored on alliance side, i don't think there's a huge difference.

5.0 MoP are pretty much the same content sans maybe 20-30 quests total for both sides. But even then, most of those are pretty much the same quests, just mirrored for their respective factions, but altered dialogue at least.

As far as community, they're both relatively the same from my experience.

I'm in the opposite situation, been playing alliance for many years and have now levelled a few horde toons to try the game from a different angle. While the MoP levelling has differences for each faction, I found it to be a pretty similar experience (the little changes are a nice break though).

Community wise, I'd say they're pretty much the same - you get mature and immature people in both factions (unfortunately more of the latter for the most part)

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are bored then I say....why not??

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand my question is highly subjective and most of the answers will be "it depends" and "up to you".

Still, I'd like your opinion on Alliance community these days - talking in general, casuals, LFR, North American servers.

I do not intend this as a holy war, please refrain from abusing members of the opposite faction.

I just have lots of horde toons and ran out of things to do.

Questions to everyone:

You may think I'm trolling, but I'm not. I genuinely look for something to do pre-WOD, and leveling an Alliance toon could be one of those options.

I've been both through the years, but as per your questions:

1.) Yes and yes.

2.) Alliance is more mature and PVE oriented (I wipe more on Horde side), but Horde has more warm bodies (then again I'm on Wyrmrest Accord for Horde).

There are differences ?

Endgame is exactly the same, you have the same idiots on both sides, you play the same speccs, LRF is torture on both sides, etc etc.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Deleted

1: Yes. Though in the later half it is very similar due to neutral factions.
    2: I do. Alliance is better in my experience, however that might be skewed since I do tend to play more on Alliance. A lot less silent groups on Alliance in my experience.
    3: I switched to Alliance in Wrath of the Lich King. The lore in the expansion was a lot more to my liking on Alliance side. I think I felt more at ease on Alliance due to the general sense of camaraderie, which was somewhat lacking on my Horde character.
    4: Alliance doesn't get their own expansions, though. Blizzard loves Orcs.