Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    1. Cause you could get a regular tablet that does the same thing, or a phone that does all that and makes phone calls.
    regular tablet doesn't get gamestream or grid, or the actual 192 Kepler core GPU , so not the same
    2. Android is hardly a worthy platform for gaming. There's just so many crap games on it.
    sure, android games are crap, but thats why i have halflife, portal, and GTA vice city on mine, and of course all the games on my pc and grid, you can run those on any tablet right? oh wait....
    3. The best exclusive games they have on Nvidia Shield is Half Life 2 and Portal, which can run on any PC for the past 5 years.
    do you understand why its exclusive? i mean the actual technical reasons for it
    4. They want to stream games from your Nvidia PC to your Shield, but Steam does this now without needing Nvidia. Though why would you?
    steam in home streaming is great, but its not using a dedicated hardware encoder, aside from that, shield allows remote streaming that an average user can setup, most people don't know what an encrypted tunnel is let alone set one up tunnel over ICMP to bypass a firewall what?

also, shield lets you pull up steam, so if you can play it in big picture, you can play it on shield, officially supported or not

for all of your complaining in this thread, you seem to not actually know much about what you are complaining about, it's akin to complaining that oranges are orange and not blue without any knowledge of biology, botany, physics, and evolution, and the necessary understanding to tie these fields together in understanding how pigmentation works, inject some weight into your arguments

10+ Year Old Account
    AMD has Shadowplay but they call it GVR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt512tuNOto
    GVR supports both AMD and Nvidia cards =/
    The Shield is a Android device with a built in game pad. The tablet version is equally as stupid. Why is it stupid?
    1. Cause you could get a regular tablet that does the same thing, or a phone that does all that and makes phone calls.
    A regular tablet would be roughly the same price with less specs.
    2. Android is hardly a worthy platform for gaming. There's just so many crap games on it.
    And iOS doesn't have crappy cash-grab games?
    3. The best exclusive games they have on Nvidia Shield is Half Life 2 and Portal, which can run on any PC for the past 5 years.
    So?
    4. They want to stream games from your Nvidia PC to your Shield, but Steam does this now without needing Nvidia. Though why would you?
    It's nice to take my tablet around and play my PC games on it. This obviously isn't for everyone. I've found the Shield tablet to be a much more enjoyable experience streaming than Steam.
    Last edited by -aiko-; 2014-09-24 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Wouldn't that introduce at least one frame-time of latency to the display?
    Modifying Vblank gives a slightly higher input lag, polling (each poll takes 1ms) the monitor constantly has a slight impact on your fps like 3-5%. Afaik nvidia is trying to get rid of that polling spam so but who cares actually about losing 5% performance? Most people who currently have that RoG Swift would most likely have 2 GPU's and I never complained about my 780's performance and not to forget the CPU can be a b*tch too. That's actually all the negative things about it which are negligble imo.

Quote Originally Posted by zeuseason View Post
    I play WoW in fullscreen just because it crashes constantly in windowed. This gsync, along with almost every other product put out by nvidia is a money grab.
    So is WoW a money grab.
    3930K@NH-U12s | Asus R4E | 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz) Dominator Platinum | 2x Asus gtx 780 DC2OC SLI | Evga Supernova 1000 P2 | S27A750D

I'm really baffled about the negative feedback based on not being able to alt-tab instantly.

Has anyone here experienced Gsync? It's absolutely amazing. I recently received my Asus Rog Swift and let me tell you 144hz on 2560*1440 and ULMB are a real treat for the eye.

Complaining about alt-tabbing seems ridiculous to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... I can't really say ULMB or any variant of motion blur reduction technology is a treat to my eyes. I have issues with flicker which my FG2421 has a 240Hz boost which is a bit better version of the ULMB Asus has which does a faster black light flicker than the ULMB does and has a higher luminance if needs be.

The motion clarity is nice but holy shit does my eyes like to die by it. That said ULMB and G-sync aren't compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Well... I can't really say ULMB or any variant of motion blur reduction technology is a treat to my eyes. I have issues with flicker which my FG2421 has a 240Hz boost which is a bit better version of the ULMB Asus has which does a faster black light flicker than the ULMB does and has a higher luminance if needs be.

The motion clarity is nice but holy shit does my eyes like to die by it. That said ULMB and G-sync aren't compatible.
    No of course, you can't use them simultaneously, since they're mutually exclusive.

What about lightboost? Does that bother you as well?

As for G-sync, it's addictive. I haven't seen such an increase in (perceptible) performance since switching to SSDs.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2014-09-28 at 08:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only mention that really because any motion blur reduction tech doesn't care whether it's full screen or not while G-sync does and them being not compatible for obvious reasons.
    The no full screen is a legit complaint whether you care about it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I only mention that really because any motion blur reduction tech doesn't care whether it's full screen or not while G-sync does and them being not compatible for obvious reasons.
    The no full screen is a legit complaint whether you care about it or not.
    It might be a legitimate complaint, but it's a microscopically small sacrifice for an amazing gain - imo. That said, everyone has priorities, my only advice is: see it with your own eyes, experience it. Afterwards conclude whether it's worth the sacrifice, or not. Dismissing the technology as a whole seems a wee bit simplistic.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2014-09-28 at 08:55 PM.

G-Sync is exactly what I expected, and it's worth every penny! No more tearing, or FPS drops!

Quote Originally Posted by Triazolam View Post
    G-Sync is exactly what I expected, and it's worth every penny! No more tearing, or FPS drops!
    Or input lag, or mouse lag, or aim latency. All reasons I never enabled vsync and endured the tearing on previous screens.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    It might be a legitimate complaint, but it's a microscopically small sacrifice for an amazing gain - imo. That said, everyone has priorities, my only advice is: see it with your own eyes, experience it. Afterwards conclude whether it's worth the sacrifice, or not. Dismissing the technology as a whole seems a wee bit simplistic.
    In your opinion.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm on your side - I always game on full-screen (non-windowed), but Remilia is right in saying that it's a legitimate complaint. It's unreasonable to do so.
    I understand why, as I brought up previously in the thread, it's something and some place they have to start with due to it being harder to force it into Windows as well. Among other things. It's the same reasons Shadowplay and SLI/Crossfire (et c) has had. It needs more maturity.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    In your opinion.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm on your side - I always game on full-screen (non-windowed), but Remilia is right in saying that it's a legitimate complaint. It's unreasonable to do so.
    I understand why, as I brought up previously in the thread, it's something and some place they have to start with due to it being harder to force it into Windows as well. Among other things. It's the same reasons Shadowplay and SLI/Crossfire (et c) has had. It needs more maturity.
    You didn't notice the - IMO?

Of course it's an opinion. I just felt compelled to give my insight, which is: experience it first, judge afterwards (whether it's worth the sacrifice of quickly alt-tabbing or not), that's all

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    You didn't notice the - IMO?
    In fact, I did not.

Fullscreen only isn't Nvidia's fault, the desktop renders at its own rate separate from the game that you're playing.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    In fact, I did not.
    No harm done

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Fullscreen only isn't Nvidia's fault, the desktop renders at its own rate separate from the game that you're playing.
    Exactly. But that only becomes obvious if you understand how gsync works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    So is WoW a money grab.
    If it's a business it's always about the money. Nobody does something to make you happy unless it involves making them money. This goes double for WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I couldnt disagree more with this statement. The small performance hit you take is massively countered by the convenience of alt tabbing during games. Im not only talking about mmo's here, i like all my games in windowed fullscreen even first person rpg's etc.

Am i seriously in the minority for prefering windowed fullscreen over fullscreen?
    Why would you want to alt-tab often while playing? Don't know about you, but I like being immersed in my games, so I might only alt-tab like once per hour to check an e-mail if I'm waiting for something important, or to look up something in the Internet related to the lore of the game I'm playing or some quest walkthrough. Alt-tabbing every minute would kind of kill the whole purpose of gaming, IMO. And, seriously, I haven't played a game in Windowed (Fullscreen) mode a single time in my life.

Oops, quoted a 9 months old comment.

I guess people like borderless windowed is for dual-screen purposes, or interacting with their stream chat if they stream etc. You could say the same thing for Crossfire/SLI as well, which don't work anywhere else except fullscreen.
    Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    More amusing than that is the fact that the entire basis behind Sinestra as a lore character is that she was the only dragon who was able to withstand the power of Deathwing's cock.

I was sorta excited about gsync, but after seeing the massive price tag for enabled monitors and the realization that it can't be used in borderless windowed mode, that excitement has completely diminished! I'll still only buy nvidia cards regardless. Tearing is so minimal at 120hz+, that it's just not worth it. Perhaps I just don't notice it as much since I typically play competitive mp games and have more important things to focus on besides slight screen tearing /shrug

GSYNC/FREESYNC are both gimmicks and RIPOFFS

GSYNC/FREESYNC are both crappy, deceiving technologies. They're ripping consumers off.

A better suggestion(actually solution) is to just buy more graphics power. All gsync monitor does is allow for smoother framerates if the fps dips below the framerates set by the graphics card(by repeating frames until a new one is sent by graphics card). But that logic should've have been implemented into the graphics card drivers. You don't need separate hardware for that, its a marketing/money making gimmick by both nvidia and amd. They're literally ripping consumers off.

The cheaper and better solution in terms of quality, reliability, and upgradeability is to just buy a better graphics card, or two. These monitors cost double of what the monitor would cost without freesync/gsync capabilities. They're literally ripping off consumers.

I will be writing a blog about this soon, and hopefully prevent consumers from wasting their money on this. Stay tuned.