Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    this is my spin on this, not that im bored, i cant get into any games lately, the games are still very good, whats the issue? life experiences, for me, ive had a taste for certain things in life where I would hands down do on a more frequent basis money and time permitting, like skiing, god I love that hobby, own my whole ski equipment and going skiing again in jan, thoughts like that drive for me to put my resources into that.

Also, food, not just basic stuff but your more high end stuff or niche, I like to cook and when I do, its not just bake or fry up some chips, its full on artisan recipes, or attempts at it, im more also driven to travel around the world and have a taste to what other countries have to offer, also I want to take up to travel to other places as well before it becomes impossible to do so.

Theres other things as well, but when you start to think of things this way, games dont come up as prominent as it once did when it was the only thing available around me at the time, when theres other things, your taste in life in what you do can change or just thought processes to what you prefer comes about.

im from the UK before anyone asks :P

Going to sound stupid, but I think the reason why every game just feels lackluster now.

It's mainly because most ideas are just a re-hash of stuff that's already been done before. Do it all enough times, it loses playability.

To overcome this, we have to start branching into a more unique idea for how we make games, add in features we have yet to see in any game before, no matter how controversial they may seem, just to see how they play out once the game is live.

Long story short, we have to start testing new waters to see what's going to give new games playability.

Like some others said, I get really bored with see'ing so many sequels over and over again instead of just making entirely new interesting IP's. But the sad thing is that most new IP's don't get popular enough and in return get very underrated, even if they are very good.

Sequels just don't really do it for me anymore, especially if the sequels are basically just HD remakes of their first game. Looking at SC2.

Deleted
    Only game I loved/love these last years is Demons Souls & Dark Souls. Dark Souls is one of my fav games ever. Cant say I have been hooked with any other games. Played them once then not touch them again besides the souls games.

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Its not the age....its just that games put too much in grafic instead of a gameplay. And there are too console like.
    I hate console controls. I want my Half life UI back .
    Also bull**** like limited weapons you can hold (its a game ffs), linear gameplay where you cant explore that much, rushed games with so many bugs that you realy want to forget it. And stupid self regenetating hp......its like every game is copying halo. Medipacks made the game more interesting and harder. They made you use cower. Same goes for strategy games with limited resorces. Once you mine them its over.

Or we would say that programers just copy one game...make it worse when they could make it better. (or lock the stuff behind dlc) Then they realise it, people buy that c*** and then when they make enogh money, they made a new title 2. In this they add pretty much same crappy gameplay and add a new *ferature* that some old games have and they say its new.

Oh did i say every posible copy of sport/cars/everything else games.
    Here is a example of milking:
    The Need for Speed (1995)
    Need for Speed II (1997)
    Need for Speed: V-Rally (1997)
    Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit (1998)
    Need For Speed: V-Rally 2 (1999)
    Need for Speed: High Stakes (1999)
    Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed (2000)
    Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (2002)
    Need for Speed: Underground (2003)
    Need for Speed: Underground 2 (2004)
    Need for Speed: Underground Rivals (2005 PlayStation)
    Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
    Need for Speed: Carbon (2006)
    Need for Speed: ProStreet (2007)
    Need for Speed: Undercover (21. nov 2008)
    Need for Speed: Shift (15. sept 2009)
    Need for Speed: Nitro (2009)
    Need for Speed: World (2010)
    Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010)
    Need for Speed: Shift 2 - Unleashed (2011)
    Need for Speed: The Run (2012)
    Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012)
    Need for Speed: Rivals (2013)
    Damn last one i remember playing is Carbon, i feel old.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mmmm... well, I don't try every game ever in existence, but me personally my tastes have changed. A lot of AAA funded games these days are shooters, whether it's FPS or TPS. Obviously not all, but a lot seems to head that way.
    There's nothing wrong with it, but it does get tiring. I used to play FPS a lot, nowadays it's just like... meeeehhhhhh, which makes me uninterested in a lot of new titles.

I tried Batman Arkham ____, but it just couldn't keep me playing. As odd as it may sound, but one of the thing that bothered me is the VA for Batman in Arkham Asylum was... bad. Was inconsistent and can become very monotone at points. Combat just didn't suit me, not that it's terrible it just doesn't work for me. Was a game that really seemed like it'd work for me, but didn't.

Then there's pirate simulator 2013 (AC4) which I find hilariously amusing.

A lot of games I end up playing are independent ones, JRPGs, Rhythm games like osu!, and as odd as it seem to some, VNs (think Walking Dead, but not of that topic).

Me personally it's just a lot of newer AAA games don't fit my interest anymore. I mean fucking hell EA did a Plants vs Zombie TPS... -.-...... (I am still bitter about that).

The golden age of games have passed, few gems come out now. It's normal you probably grew up in said time like most gamers did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another Golden Age will come. It's not like "OH WOE IS ME!!!" I swear people can be melodramatic at times.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Im finding the same thing happens with music. You sort of get stuck in the music you listened to in your teens/20s. There's a few new songs/video games I like, but right now I'm playing Ultima Online. It was playing this about 13 years ago and it's still got some allure for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Naftc View Post
    The golden age of games have passed, few gems come out now. It's normal you probably grew up in said time like most gamers did.
    When was the golden age of games?

Deleted
    You can always replay System Shock 2 or Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    When was the golden age of games?
    Arcade-N64ish era

Honestly, sometimes I feel like a lot more effort/content was put in older games. The gaming industry has refined itself, games are becoming more and more simply products, they do what's necessary, as quickly as possible, becoming more and more user friendly...

I haven't seen a game of the magnitude of Baldur's Gate 2 in a long time to be honest. So huge, a lot of alternative content, several classes, everytime you clear the game you find new things... It's almost as big as WoW if you take the time to explore everything.

Honestly, I feel like the best game period was the snes games. It had many cheap games sure, but it had a lot of big, quality ones that i spent a lot of time on.

Yes

There's only been like 4 games released since 2011 that were really worth playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreyen View Post
    Honestly, sometimes I feel like a lot more effort/content was put in older games. The gaming industry has refined itself, games are becoming more and more simply products, they do what's necessary, as quickly as possible, becoming more and more user friendly...
    I think devs just became lazy. Games are easy to develop today as compared to 90-s, when developers literally made games from scratch. Every simple DOS game back then required a ton of work, and that made developers really disciplined and productive.
    Just look at the amount of bugs in today's releases. Nearly every game is literally unplayable the first few weeks and you always have to wait for them to fix zillions of bugs to be able to play. It looks like they became so lazy that they no longer care testing their products thoroughly and expect players to test them and list all the bugs on forums.

Once someone invents new gameplay everything will be shorted.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tratra View Post
    Once someone invents new gameplay everything will be shorted.
    I don't even know what "new gameplay" is supposed to mean

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    Im finding the same thing happens with music. You sort of get stuck in the music you listened to in your teens/20s. There's a few new songs/video games I like, but right now I'm playing Ultima Online. It was playing this about 13 years ago and it's still got some allure for me.
    I find game music is recent years better than music from normal autors .

Every normal music sounds to me like this:

Every normal game music sounds to me like this:

(even if its just tuc tuc tuc)

Ritem (--- singing
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Another Golden Age will come. It's not like "OH WOE IS ME!!!" I swear people can be melodramatic at times.
    Once game companies stop trying to milk people by predictable rotten franchise sequels playing it safe it might but the chance for that to happen is tiny as long as games like CoD sell by the millions.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't seen an FPS since 2003 any close to Jedi Knight series.
    There are tons of good FPS nowadays. Bioshock, Far Cry, Call of Duty, Halo, Team Fortress (if you like PvP), etc.

I haven't seen a card game since 2003 any close to Etherlords 2.
    You mean PC card games? Download OCTGN and play any of the thousand card games out there. I'd recommend you Android: Netrunner.

I haven't seen a Hack'n'Slash game since 2000 any close to Diablo 2.
    Diablo 2 is ridiculously bad for nowadays standards. It has a terrible skill system where most of them are bad, and all you have to do is to click mobs over and over until they die. Devil May Cry and God of War are so far ahead in terms of Hack'n Slash that comparing them to Diablo 2 is offensive.

And I haven't seen a turn-based game since 1999 that doesn't look like a game for kids with Down syndrome as compared to HoMM 3.
    I'm not sure why would anyone want to play a turn-based videogame over a boardgame, so I don't know many of them. Have you tried Dofus Arena?

I don't even mention MMOs - Ultima Online is so much better than all this endgame-based crap they make these days that I shiver when I hear WoW mentioned in any discussion.
    I can't think of a single aspect where Ultima is better than WoW, and I'm a WoW hater. I'm sorry you don't see that's pure nostalgia.

And it is a game that was very cold received back in 2002 for its dull story and boring gameplay... What would people say about Skyrim back then, I wonder?
    I don't know, I haven't played Skyrim. But when you say that you rather play a game that was considered bad in 2002 instead of the 2011 game of the year, it is hard not to think that the problem is you, specially when you don't know "what exactly is lacking in the modern games".

I'm inclined to think you didn't try as many game as you're saying you did.