Poll: Should gamers be treated as pro athletes?

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    There are still a number of countries that have compulsory military service nowadays. They're fewer in number, but it's absolutely still a thing.
    you would be very surprised with the amount which still do.. greece, turkey, finland etc.

i wouldnt call a pro-gamer an athlete based on their gaming alone.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    So, if someone payed your rent and allowed you to play Starcraft2 for a year, 14ish hours a day, do you think you will be as good as some of them that have been playing and training for as long as they have? Do you think you can even dedicate that much time into playing the game? I dare you, at your next day off, to play the multiplayer game for at least four hours. See how fast you quit.
    Of course I would, because 14+ hours of playing the same game every day for a year means you're going to improve a significant amount. I'm Diamond in SC2 right now, so if I played 10+ hours consistently then of course I'd end up getting to their level in a month or two.

I've played SC2 for hours at a time. I've played 8+ matches of DotA 2 in a single day (that's about 4 hours as well) and I've played WoW arenas for over 5 hours straight before.

If you're having fun doing it then the time goes by fast regardless. And my point still stands, if you have the time you can be a pro gamer, anybody can, you just need to dedicate yourself to it. The vast majority of people couldn't be professional athletes regardless of how much time they have.

Deleted
    They should force drug screening for professional gamers. People taking stimulants have an advangage over others
    and should be punished the same way pro athletes do.

Athletes? No

Professional sportsmen compared to those who participate in the worldwide tournaments (the olympic games included) for any sport that's not physical in nature? Yes.

Being the worlds best in a competitive game is not something that is in any way, shape or form, easier than any other sport.

Of course I would, because 14+ hours of playing the same game every day for a year means you're going to improve a significant amount. I'm Diamond in SC2 right now, so if I played 10+ hours consistently then of course I'd end up getting to their level in a month or two.

I've played SC2 for hours at a time. I've played 8+ matches of DotA 2 in a single day (that's about 4 hours as well) and I've played WoW arenas for over 5 hours straight before.

If you're having fun doing it then the time goes by fast regardless. And my point still stands, if you have the time you can be a pro gamer, anybody can, you just need to dedicate yourself to it. The vast majority of people couldn't be professional athletes regardless of how much time they have.
    This is complete bullshit.

If you actually think you would be even close to the lvl of pro-gamers after playing SC2 24/7 for 2-3 months, I really don't know if to laugh or cry. Most stupid statement of the millenium.

Anybody who has the time required, can certainly NOT be a pro-gamer. There is this thing called talent (just like with any sport).

I could ofc come and say "Give me a year of practicing football, and I'll be playing for the national team". No, it doesn't work like that.
    Last edited by ThrashMetalFtw; 2013-12-14 at 12:12 AM.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Deleted
    Of course not, what kind of question is that? There are alot of sports, not all of them are athletic sports, for exemple chess isn't an athletic sport therefore chess players aren't athletes, playing a videogame competivily may be considered a sport but it isn't and never will be an athletic one, do they know the meaning of athletic?
    Last edited by mmoc1448edff70; 2013-12-14 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by timehascomeandsohaveI View Post
    I thought calling it a sport was already pushing it, but athlete? Really?
    Throwing around terms defined hundreds of years ago is kind of pointless ... we don't live in the past. And while calling them athletes may be awkward for some, having to redefine all the athletes legislative just to call them something a bit different is silly. Even politicians can spend their time more productively than that.

And they need to be physically fit + they need to be dexterious as well. Next we can argue if billiards or golf are athletic sports ... ppl don't sweat enough doing those.
    Last edited by Repefe; 2013-12-14 at 12:36 AM.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    Depends, if it's someone like Dendi, Mvp, Flash or some other progamer, then yes.

If it's some random kid going 20-0 in a cod match or whatever, then no.

Most of the people who toss a ball like a ten year old for a hobby will deny you being an athlete. This topic will only go up in flames.
    Mighty one, never forget.

Rofl no. Imo it would be a joke.
    Add a poll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Earning salaries like them? Yeah sure, athletes don't even deserve the amount of funding and sponsorship they receive, it's one of the biggest wastes of money in the world, and should be spend on better things. Same as gamers getting paid, so I'm not indifferent about that.

But no. They aren't athletes. One day it may (unfortunally) get big enough that athlete is redefined, but until that, no they aren't. There is a world of different between a person using physical skills to versus another person and gamers coming up with strategies to beat their opponent. Not the same thing.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

I hate this topic to be honest, brings out the stupid on both sides. Why do people need to be defined with specific titles? I mean chess is a considered a sport, why not gaming as well? Also they want it to be considered due to traveling to other countries etc. Honestly to me it's a sport, but others disagree and don't even try to see it from the other side. So many close-minded fools here, have fun being ignorant! I deal with derps like this all day as my job is all about problem solving.

I think at some point its going to come to a point where we differentiate athletes between physical and gaming athletes.

Maybe not for another 20 years or so since pro gaming is still fairly new, but its getting there, I think the biggest games as far as esports go is LoL, dota 2 and starcraft 2. If theres anything else, I have no idea about it. By the time pro gaming its recognized as athletes we'll have probably nearly 10-20 ish games that are up there. Which is more than enough to make a difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZXNMs8D-Ow yup he has athlete written all over him!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    A person should be payed what people are willing to pay for their talents.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

chess and poker are similar in terms of athleticism

baseball players are selling nikeys
    gamers are selling cpu hardware

all in all i don't thing you can call the chess/poker/gamer an athlete but they are all some form of entertainment

probably better to look at any one who is master of their craft as an entertainer with some entertainers being athletic as being athletic is part of mastering their craft.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZXNMs8D-Ow yup he has athlete written all over him!!!
    That's a comedian ... I hope you understand the difference.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

NO. They should be treated like Pro-gamers.
    Every man is born as many men and dies as a single one

-Martin Heidegger

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    That's a comedian ... I hope you understand the difference.

haha ok then
    Last edited by xuros; 2013-12-14 at 12:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys realize people that play Curling are considered professional athletes right? In that case yes but the best term for them is professional gamers.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Chess players are considered "athletes", so yes.