(Probably) another thread for advice about DPS in SoO

So I'm running on my shaman - name Ilüvatar

my gear isn't very fantastic or anything, but even still, I feel like I could be getting more DPS out.

Based on the logs linked below - and now that I think about it more - I see that I need to work on my flame shock uptime and for movement-heavy fights like Immersius, I could probably use Spiritwalker's Grace more often.

Otherwise I'm using my elementals and Ascendence on cooldown. Most of the time I hit my burst macro in time with Heroism...
    My rotation is pretty standard ( Elemental Blast > Flame Shock > Lava Burst > Lightning Bolt > Earth Shock (on 7 stacks) and then Lava Burst again on Lava Surge procs).

The logs will probably tell you a lot more otherwise, so here you go:

......... Okay so I was going to post a link to the log but it wouldn't let me because I need to post some more... Here's the best I could do right now...

warcraftlogs.com/reports/qWfVXjR6hTb4AFMz/#graph=true&fight=3&type=damage-done&source=12

Thanks in advance for the help!

I'm moving this to the Shaman forum, as you are likely to get better, more specific advice there.
    Raids & Dungeons Mod | <Despotism> 14/14H (10-man); 14/14H (25-man); 2 Days/Week US-Greymane <> Recruiting for Mythic

Seems like you logged out in your heal gear assuming that you are Ilüvatar - Ravencrest - EU.

So, it is difficult to offer you any advice on gemming or enchants and whatsoever.

All that I can tell you is that you should not expect the big numbers with your item level (assuming 549) - that's like ToT item level.

With your flame shock uptime, you seem to be on the right path with your analysis.

Wrong armory profile.
    Last edited by Xentres; 2014-09-16 at 06:01 AM.

I'm Ilüvatar on Magtheridon... Sorry for the confusion

Thanks for the clarification.

Still, the essence of my above post can also be applied to your actual char.

Low ilvl, no cloak -> barely competitive dps.

On the other hand, you might want to use a reforge addon or askmrrobot, since I am quite sure that with your ilvl, you should not be above the hit cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Xentres View Post
    Thanks for the clarification.

Still, the essence of my above post can also be applied to your actual char.

Low ilvl, no cloak -> barely competitive dps.

On the other hand, you might want to use a reforge addon or askmrrobot, since I am quite sure that with your ilvl, you should not be above the hit cap.
    Actually, I just swapped my staff with one better suited to my spec. Askmrrobot put me just under hit cap which bothered me so I swapped a pure mastery gem on my belt to a spirit/mastery gem instead.

Otherwise I get the impression that you're basically just telling me "get better gear". Is that right?

Shaman often gets above hit cap when you are just unlucky with spirit gear. Im around 17% now but i used to be at 21% in some occasions. You can´t really help it cause there is so much spirit on gear and i shouldn´t worry about it to much until you are going for bis gear.

Other then that your gear looks ok, try go for as much mastery and haste as you can and keep avoiding crit and you´ll be better. I do see you got the healing stream totem glyph and you should really not be casting HST unless there is maybe nothing to do (like gala/naz down phases). It will just cost you time to put down and lose of dps cause of that.

Immerseus is a pretty bad fight to check damage on with the phases and stuff, so i can´t really comment on that.

I finally simmed you for a 5 minute fight, average player skill and light movement. Result: ~ 214k dps

Seeing your performance on Sha of Pride (mostly single target except for adds, relative small amounts of movement) with around 188k, I would say that that's appropriate damage for your ilvl - even further considering low flame shock uptime.

You seem to react quite appropriate to Lava surge procs (approx. 6 seconds for each Lava burst), and you also seem to keep your Elemental blast quite OK on CD (18 casts during 5:18 = 17,6 sec while it can be casted every ~13.5 sec) if you assume that you have short intervals where you shouldn't/can't use it (CL phase during adds, being imprisoned).

So yeah, gear should always improve your dps (honestyl, if not, you're doing it wrong!) and your should always work on your rotation, but in general one might say that (at least for this one Sha of Pride fight) you did not completely fail but played OK.

As for the other bosses:

Immerseus - too simple and not appropriate for judging anything
    Fallen Protectors - I wonder why your CL is so low. If you tank the adds apart from each other, you should rather try to have at least 2 FS up and Lava Burst the hell out of them. CL is only interesting if all 3 of them are tanked together. Magma totem is entirely useles there imho. You can definitely do better on that fight.
    Norushen - I don't know that happened there, most probably you could not go down and empty your pride bar?
    Galakras - no kill, no analysis