Deleted

Update bios new desktop build

Hi guys, computer noob reporting in.

If I have my new desktop assembled, what's the easiest way to update the bios?
    Is it possible to install windows right away and update the bios through the little program downloaded from the motherboards website?
    Or is it recommended to update it before installing windows?

And are there many settings that needs to be changed once you enter bios for the first time?
    I can order an extra service from the website where I buy the parts so that they will assemble cpu+cooler+memory and do a bios update for 20 euros.
    But if it's easy to do it yourself I'll ignore that obviously.

Thanks

Will you need to update the BIOS? Generally speaking, you should only do that if you have an issue that you know a BIOS flash will solve because of the inherent risk involved in doing so (doing it wrong will brick the motherboard).

these days it's not as risky and you can always fix the motherboard if you have the manual with the jumpers marked.

these days just download the new bios place it on C:\ then open your bios on restart and it more than likely has the ez flash option. Presto. Just don't fucking touch it while it's flashing or you're gonna have to clear the CMOS and start over. Also keep a copy of the bios on a flash drive
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Deleted
    It depends on the motherboard and its features - for example, MSI have LiveUpdate, whilst ASUS have an offline-update mode if you have a fairly small USB drive. Both update the Bios, whether it's EFI or UEFI.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Will you need to update the BIOS? Generally speaking, you should only do that if you have an issue that you know a BIOS flash will solve because of the inherent risk involved in doing so (doing it wrong will brick the motherboard).
    there is no risk if you have UPS.

It is easy thing to do - you just need to copy bios on usb and flash it - it all depends from mobo manufacture but is similar anyway.

If you don't have UPS then be sure you have bios switch on mobo and there is no storm outside xD
    Last edited by Alexeht; 2013-12-14 at 01:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    there is no risk if you have UPS.
    If the OP is asking whether he needs to update the BIOS when installing a new OS, and if he can update it after the OS is installed, I think it is a fair assumption that he does not have a UPS.

Deleted
    you do not need to update bios before installing windows. You can update bios after installing windows. You should not update bios if your pc doesn't have any issues fixed in newer bios