Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

SteamOS released

http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/buildyourown

Figured this deserved its own topic here, despite being old news for most.

Quite limited in options for now, as well as in system requirements. NVIDIA only, and it requires UEFI support. Apparently it is possible to install it with BIOS, however. More on that here.

So basically it is debian which boots directly to Steam Big Picture.

Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post

Quite limited in options for now, as well as in system requirements. NVIDIA only, and it requires UEFI support. Apparently it is possible to install it with BIOS, however. More on that here.

I never understood why people liked Steam so much. I personally think it's the most retarded thing in the world.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    I never understood why people liked Steam so much. I personally think it's the most retarded thing in the world.
    Why? it's a nice way to organise your game library and Steam Cloud is awesome for saves.

Deleted
    I thought like this for a long while, too. Then I used it. They fail on some issues (they're the worst for refunds outside of scammy behaviours) but it's lightweight, easy to use, and the OS itself is basically a gaming equivalent of Debian Linux. Added to that is the convenience it provides for backups and you have the best form of DRM in the industry outside of GoG.

Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post

Can't wait for it to support AMD since thats what I am using on my current computer.

From what has been said SteamOS will be as close as PC's will get to using hardware like how a console OS dose. So you get my bang for your buck I hope. I could be wrong tho but still really interested in checking it out.

Default Installation
    You will need to create a SteamOS System Restore USB stick to perform this install. The image provided here requires at least a 1TB disk.
    Ok thats a bit crazy lol hope that isn't right I got a old computer I want to put it on and check out.

Since this install seems to wipe the computer "unless u figure out how to dual boot it" I do it can do the basic things like Skype and your able to browse the internet.

edit:
    What are the SteamOS Hardware Requirements?
    Processor: Intel or AMD 64-bit capable processor
    Memory: 4GB or more RAM
    Hard Drive: 500GB or larger disk
    Video Card: NVIDIA graphics card
    (AMD and Intel graphics support coming soon!)
    Additional: UEFI boot support
    USB port for installation
    Wow don't really know what to say to the 500GB/1TB requirement LOL I guess ill have to save up and build me a steambox.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-12-14 at 03:06 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    Honestly not something I'm going to install till more titles make it to linux. We are so close now to seeing developers putting some serious thought into linux gaming, with valve jumping on board with Linux, and DiCE showing some interest in porting BF4 over to Linux, maybe to show off the power of mantle? Give it another few years and we might see linux to what Mac OSX is now, maybe even better.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Why does it require so much hard drive space? Is that simply because it knows so many games and applications will be stored on it, or is the OS so bloated that it needs that?

Anyone know if the 500GB HDD requirement is actually needed? or just there to fool people into having lots of space for games?

Deleted
    It's not a real requirement as far as I know.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    Why does it require so much hard drive space? Is that simply because it knows so many games and applications will be stored on it, or is the OS so bloated that it needs that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    Anyone know if the 500GB HDD requirement is actually needed? or just there to fool people into having lots of space for games?
    It's most likely just to cover the games installed, I would be surprised if the installation went past 10gb, that said, they "could" do a check on disk size and limit accordingly but i HIGHLY doubt it is. I guess this can't be booted on a virtualbox yet? due to it only supporting Nvidia?

*edit* scratch that, seems to be a guide on reddit to install via vmplayer, might give it a go later.

http://www.reddit.com/r/SteamOS/comm...vmware_player/

Seems to also clarify that anything 20gb+ is fine.
    Last edited by mmoca8c3a8c487; 2013-12-14 at 03:24 PM.

This is kind of dumb honestly, I don't like the idea of different companies making their own different game digital distribution services (Steam, battle.net, origin, etc.) and I dislike the idea of companies making their own operating systems even more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    This is kind of dumb honestly, I don't like the idea of different companies making their own different game digital distribution services (Steam, battle.net, origin, etc.) and I dislike the idea of companies making their own operating systems even more.
    They aren't really "making" an operating system, so far it just seems it's debian with steam installed and branded SteamOS. You'll likely be able to boot any Linux disto (within reason), install steam onto it and run the games the same way, unless i'm missing something. While you already can do this, the support is limited, hopefully now developers will take Linux serious as a gaming platform and port games to Linux as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
    They aren't really "making" an operating system, so far it just seems it's debian with steam installed and branded SteamOS. You'll likely be able to boot any Linux disto (within reason), install steam onto it and run the games the same way, unless i'm missing something. While you already can do this, the support is limited, hopefully now developers will take Linux serious as a gaming platform and port games to Linux as well.
    but thats the thing man, if I download this shit I can only play other Linux games which last time I checked, doesn't exist. not to mention most steam games aren't even on Linux.

- - - Updated - - -

It just feels like all these companies want us to pick sides on what digital distribution service we use. I used to only have steam on my taskbar because I could run all my games on that but now I have all these other ones because they don't want you to be exposed to the competition only EA games this and Blizzard games that. This is just a step thats far worse imo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    but thats the thing man, if I download this shit I can only play other Linux games which last time I checked, doesn't exist. not to mention most steam games aren't even on Linux.
    An OS has to start somewhere, Windows has always been the majority holder in PC gaming, and has been for many years. You might ask, then what's the point. There are multiple reasons imo why. You save, that always shitty fee when building a new PC of having to factor in Windows, also helps the sale of gaming specific PCs, they might drop in price a little and get more people into PC gaming.

All you need is that 1 big company to full take on Linux, and others will follow. We are already seeing this due to valves efforts.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/12/48...field-director

About this time is a great time for this too. The whole Battlefield 4 runs better on Win 8 then Win 7 (proven btw) has pissed a lot of people off, because people now they feel they must buy Win 8 to get the best performance, and at the start it fixed a lot of stuttering issues and crashes, while it's only 1 example, it only takes a few for people to get pissed off enough to try something like Linux. (if it's available).
    Last edited by mmoca8c3a8c487; 2013-12-14 at 03:42 PM.

An OS has to start somewhere, Windows has always been the majority holder in PC gaming, and has been for many years. You might ask, then what's the point. There are multiple reasons imo why. You save, that always shitty fee when building a new PC of having to factor in Windows, also helps the sale of gaming specific PCs, they might drop in price a little and get more people into PC gaming.

All you need is that 1 big company to full take on Linux, and others will follow. We are already seeing this due to valves efforts.

I hope you're right mr. owl

Has anyone been able to burn it to a disk and install it that way.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

From the FAQ:

"Q: Can I run Microsoft Windows games and applications on SteamOS?
    No, SteamOS is based on Debian GNU/Linux and is not compatibile with Microsoft Windows games and applications."

Not really seeing the point in this, aside from wishful thinking about what it might maybe could be possibly.

While I try to remain optimistic about a lot of things, I look at it this way: There are more than a few console games which simply never get ported to PC. And out of those, Apple, who probably has a much larger chunk of desktop ownership than Linux boxes on the consumer side of things, gets even fewer games developed for it at all (pc OR console). Maybe when the Steam box comes out, and if it hits all the right notes (which I also don't think is going to happen for the general consumer), things will change.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    While I try to remain optimistic about a lot of things, I look at it this way: There are more than a few console games which simply never get ported to PC. And out of those, Apple, who probably has a much larger chunk of desktop ownership than Linux boxes on the consumer side of things, gets even fewer games developed for it at all (pc OR console). Maybe when the Steam box comes out, and if it hits all the right notes (which I also don't think is going to happen for the general consumer), things will change.
    I can really see Valve making it a requirement for any game getting released to steam to be able to use Steam OS even indle titles.

When will they do this I'm not sure but I am really interested in it. Also if the performance is a massive difference then using Windows or Mac that would be a huge bonus. I would really like to have a OS that gives me the same performance out of hardware that consoles dose.

AKA can run games off old hardware really well. That will make computer builds last longer before needed a upgrade. Just hope u can do basic things like Web browse and skype with the SteamOS if u can ill be heading to it lol.

example: Lets say with my build I can run games at 60fps on Win7/8 but with Steam OS its 75fps-100fps. That would be cool.

Deleted
    Really?

It has completely changed the way I game.

I love the fact that I don't need to mess around with CDs or DVDs.

I love the sales.

I love the way I have my library with me all the time on my laptop (as long as I have an internet connection, which is 99.9% of the time for me).

Steam Cloud is awesome for saved games.

I support Indie Game companies much more now than I ever did.

I can't personally think of a single negative about Steam.

Each to their own I guess though.
    Last edited by mmoc3dde1cb131; 2013-12-15 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Clarification!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilzar View Post
    Really?

It has completely changed the way I game.

I love the fact that I don't need to mess around with CDs or DVDs.

I love the sales.

I love the way I have my library with me all the time on my laptop (as long as I have an internet connection, which is 99.9% of the time for me).

Steam Cloud is awesome for saved games.

I support Indie Game companies much more now than I ever did.

I can't personally think of a single negative about Steam.

Each to their own I guess though.
    This...so much, this. I've gotten rid of almost 200 game discs thanks to Steam. Older games requiring several discs to install, versus one download...yeah, I'll take the download, thanks. I get games on absolutely ridiculous sales, some of the Indie games I've picked up have been far more fun than any mainstream game I've ever played (My god have I sunk so much freaking time into things like UnEpic lol). The game doesn't even 'require' being online - download and install the games you want, then put Steam in Offline mode and go to town. My laptop only has 'net access when I'm at home, so I install what I want then, and play at work without a connection.

I'm not sure how I feel about the SteamOS. I mean, personally. I can certainly see the uses for others. But the way I see it, I'd basically be maintaining hardware for TWO computers. I can barely afford to maintain ONE lol. It's basically a 'build your own gaming console' in a way. But it would have access to far more games than any current console on the market. And would also require constant hardware updates, as I mentioned lol. But it forgoes the need for a Jack-of-all-trades OS like Windows, and just gives you what you need to run your games. That's really cool.
    ...ok, care to back that up with REASONS? Just calling something 'retarded' without explaining why just makes you look, well, retarded. Why do you hate it? What exactly has it done to rub you the wrong way? Or are you just one of those bandwagon hipsters that wants to complain about Steam because it's the 'cool' thing to do? We've already given several reasons as to why WE love Steam. But you are a hater, and I'm insanely curious if you could even come up with one legitimate reason why you hate it. Just one.
    Last edited by endersblade; 2013-12-15 at 09:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.