Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Yeah, I like sci-fi, it's just there's nothing about this trailer that hooks me. "The earth is dying, so we must reach for the stars"...it all at least LOOKS like stuff I've seen and read a million times before, nothing about the trailer itself looks especially exciting, other than Nolan's name being on it. I'll see it cause he has a good track record, so I believe there will be more to it than the trailers really show, but seriously, if you took his name out and replaced it with some other unknown guy, just based on the trailer alone I wouldn't be seeing it.
    I hear you there. I watched it a couple more times, and while I love it (for my fanboi reasons), I don't LOVE it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    What are you talking about? All 3 trailers are extraordinary. You should be hooked by this if you like sci-fi, with interstellar travel and deep space and all.
    He didn't say he wasn't hooked, he just said the third trailer didn't do much for him regarding his feelings on the movie.

Deleted
    Sorry, I've been watching and reading sci-fi for a couple decades, it takes more than "ooh, they're going to SPACE" to get my interest, since, you know, the majority of sci-fi ALREADY involves interstellar travel and deep space.
    That is mostly books though. Usually theres like a decade or more between serious deep space movies. It is telling that the genre classic which astronauts still point at as the most realistic is from 1968 (2001: A space Space Odyssey).
    It is probably difficult to make a action packed trailer for movies like Interstellar (or 2001 or Contact) - the part where they are going to space is really what its all about. But it is ordinary people we hopefully will get to know and care for who not only are going to space, but thousands of lightyear into completely unknown parts of the universe. That alone is enough to get me psycked.
    Having read the script, i have to admit though, that they deliberately seems to leave out some of the most spectacular scenes (like the dream sequence in Inception where Ellen Page turns the city upside down - that scene really sold Inception imo). But i wouldn't be surprised if there will be a 4th trailer.
    Last edited by mmoc20f115c1ec; 2014-08-05 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by verdamte View Post
    the part where they are going to space is really what its all about.
    And what I was saying was that it takes more than "Oooh, SPACE" to get me excited. I don't find "space" itself a particularly exciting concept, it's what happens there that interests me.

I don't like TNG and DS9 because "they're in space", I like them because of the interactions between the humans and the aliens, the problems of interacting/dealing with new species, the political intrigue or sometimes outright battles between species, etc. I didn't like Alien because it was "in space", I liked it cause it was about a group of people encountering a lethal new lifeform, and trying to survive with it hunting them through the ship.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by verdamte View Post
    That is mostly books though. Usually theres like a decade or more between serious deep space movies. It is telling that the genre classic which astronauts still point at as the most realistic is from 1968 (2001: A space Space Odyssey).
    That's a pretty good point. It's also very telling about the state of our desire as a species to explore space. People are so narrow minded about that (not to derail this thread).

It is probably difficult to make a action packed trailer for movies like Interstellar
    Nolan keeps his projects very close at hand until they are released - hence the lack of any real information (aside from the "beyond the solar system travel" portion) in the trailers. He's all about the teaser.

Having read the script, i have to admit though, that they deliberately seems to leave out some of the most spectacular scenes (like the dream sequence in Inception where Ellen Page turns the city upside down - that scene really sold Inception imo). But i wouldn't be surprised if there will be a 4th trailer.
    You're trying to tell us that you've read the script for Interstellar?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    That's a pretty good point. It's also very telling about the state of our desire as a species to explore space. People are so narrow minded about that (not to derail this thread).
    One of the main reasons Nolan made this film was to fuel that desire. A very nice goal, I think. The lack of money and initiative to explore the solar system is depressing. Given that there is a realistic chance of extraterastrial life on several moons in the solar system like Enceladus and Europa, exploration should be a higher priority for the rich countrys imo.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    You're trying to tell us that you've read the script for Interstellar?
    Yea, it was leaked half a year ago or so. Couldnt wait and read it assap. Still looking foreward two see the movie though - i think, like Inception, it will be a movie with very creative visual effects.

Deleted
    A must-see-movie and such a good subject that I even had to make small ambient mix for it couple months ago...

www(dot)mixcloud(dot)com/Ambient_Epicuros/interstellar/

10+ Year Old Account
    It will be 169 minutes long.

I really don't wanna overhype this, but dayum yuss.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, I've been watching and reading sci-fi for a couple decades, it takes more than "ooh, they're going to SPACE" to get my interest, since, you know, the majority of sci-fi ALREADY involves interstellar travel and deep space.
    Give the Expanse a read, they already have traveled our Solar System.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

15+ Year Old Account

Right? I don't want to but this is shaping up to beat Kill Bill 1 as one of my all time favorite movies!

Trailer 4 is inc. Not sure what it'd be attached to though. If it's not this weekend, it'll most likely be attached to Fury on October 17th. But this TV spot is holding me over till then. You get a lot of neat shots of the A.I. they're with. So excited for Hans Zimmer's soundtrack as well.

"“You will have to decide between seeing your children again and the future of the human race” The feels will be real.

Last edited by Clockwork Pinkie; 2014-09-29 at 02:31 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    New trailer! I dont think theres a way this movie will disappoint. This could very well be Nolan's best movie. That script sounds amazing as well. The feels will be strong.
    http://youtu.be/qB8_YlS1kqc
    [
    Last edited by Clockwork Pinkie; 2014-10-01 at 04:38 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Fuck yes - it's going to be epic.

- - - Updated - - -

Naturally the books have been doing that, and doing it well (I'm also a huge fan - give me some of your favorites, I need some new stuff). However, few movies have done interstellar travel well, and the fact that such and accomplished writing and directing team as the Nolan brothers have tackled this topic is epic in and of itself. Everything they have touched to date has been gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork Pinkie View Post
    New trailer! I dont think theres a way this movie will disappoint. This could very well be Nolan's best movie. That script sounds amazing as well. The feels will be strong.
    http://youtu.be/qB8_YlS1kqc
    [
    Probably will be the only other movie I will go to the theaters for to watch - the other was How to Train your Dragon 2.

Deleted
    Nice music btw - and Ricky Fitts!
    Ann Hathaway is apparently confirmed as best actress Oscar nominee - and the movie is predicted to be in the best movie category as well. Makes me wonder if the "For Your Consideration Only" copies of the movie have been released?
    Pray the movie will be succesfull and encourage major studios to a make a lot of deep space sci fi. And maybe an HBO sci-fi tv show.

New trailer...still doesn't blow me away.

Looks more and more like a "wait for Redbox/Netflix" movie to me, none of these trailers have looked nearly good enough to me to justify movie theater prices. Actually, correction, I could always wind up seeing it with friends(I've seen several movies in theaters with friends that I wouldn't have gone to see on my own, most recently Maleficent), but it's not something I'd be apt to go and see by myself.

The trailers so far haven't really impressed me.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

I really don't get the hype for this movie. I guess the whole "Christopher Nolan...but in space!" thing just doesn't excite me as much as it seems to excite everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I really don't get the hype for this movie. I guess the whole "Christopher Nolan...but in space!" thing just doesn't excite me as much as it seems to excite everyone else.
    I'm glad you and Faesroll posted. It was kinda lonely being the only one that isn't just about to orgasm over a movie that's not even out yet.

15+ Year Old Account
    So in a nutshell.

The wormhole is sent from human beings in the 5th dimension to get cooper (or someone with the power of love, literally) into the black hole to also get them to the 5th dimension so they can use it to send a message to someone to "save" the human race, which may not need saving after all if they've transcended beyond the 3rd dimension. The data he sent murph was the data that created the wormhole. Depending on how you view the movie, you'll walk out with 2 questions, depending on how you take the ending.

- How will that planet that Brand is on be when Cooper returns? Hours, years, decades, centuries, millions of years? Earth 2.0?

or

- So if we from the future/5th dimension did all of this, why did we do it? Why worry about the past when these beings have found a way to send messages through fucking dimensions. I suppose Hathaway is that higher being who created the wormhole so that she could eventually end up living with the survivors, and not just alone on her own planet. Or in the future humans are yet again in danger and need to do some fine tuning in the past to avoid something that's happening to them. Either way, there's a story happening in the future I'd love to explore, but this is something I doubt we'll get a sequel to, and if we do. We just need a spin off featuring CASE and TARS. Seriously the best two robots I've seen in a movie.

Deleted
    If i remember right - The Wormhole is a biproduct of a spinning neutron star - a natural phenomena. But there is a alien race who lives inside the Wormhole where time go by slower than outside the wormhole. They give the humans a extremely potent power source.
    The idea is that the Aliens are trying to save two species. Humans who are ready to take the step into interstellar travellers and a odd fractal species which lives on the doomed alien planet on the wormholes other end, which can thrive on the earth humans have left behind

The plot does sound abit confusing - and reading the reviews it sounds like there is abit to much going in the script (apparently the Nolans didnt learned their lesson with Inception ).
    Still looking foreward to se the movie though - it should have spectacular space footage. And i need some good scifi after watching BBC`s Human Universe where Brian Cox basically shoots down any hope of finding other civilisations in the Milky way