Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    You guys realize this was a big budget Hollywood science fiction movie and not an episode of Nova right?
    Well given that it used actual, lets just say theories, from Kip Thorne, it's more fun to try to study this movie's scientific approach to black holes than the one in Star Trek 09 where it's just like "rawr, I devour things". Given their both just movies, it's still fun as it can be a topic of discussion about the movie.

Deleted
    Nevermore, when saying "..and this is my opinion" you should give proper thoughts on the movie not just go around insulting people.

Opinion = "I think the scene where they -example- could have been done better"

Asshat = "People are fucking dumb if they like this movie"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    I don't know what's worse... This movie or the people who think it was amazing. Like, you go on any review site and everyone's like "10/10 BEST MOVIE OF MY WHOLE LIFE OMG" and I'm just sitting here thinking this was the biggest overhyped cringey piece of shit I've ever seen.

[lots of whining]

TLDR: Don't fucking watch this unless you hate yourself or have too much time/money to spend.
    Wow seriously, you should really learn how to properly discuss with people about different opinions (yes I know this is the Internet but still). Even if you didn't like the movie because of your personal reasons, it's really mature to blame people who liked it. Sure, it had some flaws and it was very hyped but overall the consensus is that it's enjoyable.

The problem with Nolan's movies is that after his first two Batman movies, people started to expect that every little detail had to be scientifically accurate. That's why Dark Knight Rises felt off because it was the most comic-book movie of the trilogy. That's even why Man of Steel was so dry and humorless. When I am watching 2001: A space Odysseus, I am thinking about the meaning of the obelisk and not if there was indeed a black Lego block that lead human kind to the next evolutionary step. It's called science FICTION for a reason...

If you didn't like the message about love and the whole father / daughter dynamic, okay. I thought the line by Anne Hathaway was hammy and cringe worthy too at first but it kind of makes sense in the general context of the movie. The ending felt flat because Murph had her own family that Cooper didn't seem to really care about (and what happened to his son anyway?) but I thought this is just on par how Cooper behaved all the time. He was someone who didn't want to stay in one place. He was always the adventurer / scientist who wanted discover new stuff, pushed boundaries and his own limits and who was never a family man (that role was filled by his stepfather).

I don't quite understand why people assume Cooper was all the time dead etc. because the movie specifically explained everything at the end. If you don't want to accept it and if you rather want to have a sixth sense twist, I am fine with that too. Because most stuff was explained, I think people were disappointed because it's a science fiction movie and they demand for more unanswered questions.

There is an article on cracked that sums up most of the controversial discussed topics in this thread, I recommend reading it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    You guys realize this was a big budget Hollywood science fiction movie and not an episode of Nova right?
    Yea, i agree that it can get abit nerdy. Not necessarily a bad thing though. Good scifi movies or books can be interesting topics, about wonders of the universe, extra terrestrial life and so on. Thats the thing with Science fiction - it is based of facts.
    The chance of finding a functional Lightsaber and learn the way of the Force is slim. Same with magical rings which turns you invisible and grants you power of everybody else who wears magic rings.
    But Sci fi is different. We might actual one day travel through wormholes to distant galaxies. Or see Saturns rings in person. At least there is a theoretical chance.
    I think that is a reason why ppl often debate these movies and their possible flaws. It is important that sci fi is credible. One of the genre perks is that the amazing things happen on the screen is within the scope of reality.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Physicists have a pretty decent understanding of what black holes are (obviously everything is just a theory because science doesn't talk in absolutes and is constantly seeking to refute itself). That doesn't mean we know everything about them, there are a lot of interesting questions still waiting to be answered, but what we do know is their gravitational field is so strong even light cannot escape... meaning that anything that even approaches it (including and especially a squishy human in a space suit) it's basically game over. Instantly.
    No, that is incorrect. You take one piece of knowledge (light doesn't escape a black hole) and then guess on the next, which is intellectually dishonest. If you don't like good movies, that's fine, but don't lie about the unknown science and then base your review on that.

If you don't like good movies with several different messages, then don't go see them.

(I'm curious if you actually like any movies, or are just one of those people who have to disagree with everyone else).

Just watched the film.

Definitively the best film that I have ever seen in theaters since Toy Story 3. Absolutely worth the $15 to see it in IMAX. If your a lover of Nolan films (especially Inception and Batman Begins) you will adore this. Will make you laugh, cry, cringe in terror, and jump up out of your seat in joy.Yes, it did have a Dr. Who/Bizzaro World ending but even then it still is a masterpiece IMAO

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Just watched the film.

Definitively the best film that I have ever seen in theaters since Toy Story 3. Absolutely worth the $15 to see it in IMAX. If your a lover of Nolan films (especially Inception and Batman Begins) you will adore this. Will make you laugh, cry, cringe in terror, and jump up out of your seat in joy.Yes, it did have a Dr. Who/Bizzaro World ending but even then it still is a masterpiece IMAO
    Could not agree more. If there was going to be a sci-fi movie to take the Oscars, it's going to be this one.

My pie-in-the-sky hope is that this movie will rekindle our desire to explore the stars.

Deleted
    What?

MY eyes are sweating.

Go away.

One of the best movies that ive ever watched!!!

Loved it right up until the science, visuals and audio were top notch, as was the majority of the acting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biged781 View Post
    Well... it is fiction after all. I think they did a good job of being scientifically grounded for the most part and venturing out of the realm of reality a bit when it was needed in order to progress the plot.
    I mean, they borrowed scientific concepts, but didn't follow any of them. It would be like knowing that heat makes things expand, so they shine a light bulb onto a watermelon and it explodes.
    Last edited by Ryme; 2015-01-26 at 12:09 PM.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

I'm gonna copy-paste my review from another site, feel free to dis/agree with me, it's just a personal opinion.

Spoilers and swearing ahead.

Interstellar: 3/10

I don't know what's worse... This movie or the people who think it was amazing. Like, you go on any review site and everyone's like "10/10 BEST MOVIE OF MY WHOLE LIFE OMG" and I'm just sitting here thinking this was the biggest overhyped cringey piece of shit I've ever seen.

The most annoying thing is that this movie _tries so hard_ to present itself as this scientifically accurate/adventurous epic space odyssey (you keep hearing how the writers consulted actual theoretical physicists etc). If you don't understand this movie, it's _your fault_ because you're too dumb to get it, not because it's scientifically illiterate nonsense.

The dude literally jumps into a black hole, SURVIVES IT, and finds himself in a trippy place built by 5th dimensional aliens where he's able to alter gravity/space/time and send messages back to his daughter on Earth.

The f*ck.

No, seriously.

Meanwhile Anne Hathaway, who's supposedly one of the best scientists in the world, physicist-engineer-spacetraveller supreme, at one point sits down and delivers the dumbest line in the whole movie:

"maybe... maybe LOVE is the strongest force in the universe, because it transcends space and time and all dimensions"

So then Matthew McConaghteyeryhhey tries to be sensible and tell her that love is nothing more than a biological instinct that allows us to bond with others and also to procreate better...

... to which Anne Hathaway responds (I kid you not): "yeah but you carry on loving those who have already died... You can't explain that"

WHAT.

The movie is 3 hours long but the pacing is all over the place. They spend 10 minutes chasing a drone at the beginning of the movie (which has nothing to do with the plot btw), but a bit later when Matt McC finds out he's NASA's choice to go on this mission and _leave his family forever and potentially die a horrible death in space_ the movie basically goes like this:

- You have to drive this space ship
    - k

*BAM EPIC LIFTOFF SCENE*

And you're just like wait, what?

They, of course, have a sassy robot companion who's there to provide some comic relief. This robot also seems highly intelligent, is incredibly mobile and durable, so it kind of raises the question WHY THE F*CK DONT YOU JUST SEND 100s OF THESE ROBOTS IN SPACE instead of actual squishy humans?!?

Finally, the cherry on top is the god awful soundtrack. It's loud. Really loud. Christopher Nolan said that the music muffles speech sometimes because he wants us to focus on the emotions and not the words (wtf?), but during the most important key scene of the film you're just sitting there going like what? what? what is he saying? I CANT HEAR IT BECAUSE OF THE MUSIC F*CK YOU

Some movie theatres in the US had to put up signs saying "our equipment is NOT faulty, the movie was made this way"

Plus there's this really overwhelming Windows98 logon sound that plays every time something serious happens, which is roughly every 3 minutes of the movie, so by the end you're just like ugh, not this again.

TLDR: Don't fucking watch this unless you hate yourself or have too much time/money to spend.
    i read your review and its pretty valid on most points, but you kinda ruin your credibility with the tldr part that was unnecessary.

possible spoilers

the part about the robots they were from another time in human history, presumably before earth went to hell. (note: they mentioned it were military robots, and said military's don't even exist anymore)
    so i figure they don't or can't make those robots anymore. tho that begs the question why they have the tech to make space ships and not robots.
    the love part made me cringe as well, god that was so out of place, felt very forced in order to appeal to the audience emotions
    surviving the black-hole was ugh not to mention he got "spit out" of the black-hole back into our solar system so they could pick him up drifting in space?
    near the end cooper said "they" are us human in the future, but if we get there in who knows how many years why would they need to mess with the timeline if they already got to that point in some natural timeline? as such the whole movie is bs.

i was sad about the lack of pre-earth-to-shit history, how long ago did earth society start declining, what happened with the 7billion ppl, how many are there left?
    why do we still live in wooden houses if shit has gotten so bad that who knows how many died, and did they all just die from dust in the lungs?
    or did this generation stabilize a while ago and started focusing on agriculture, then how come cooper was part of the generation that still had space exploration on its mind?

but, all that didn't make it less enjoyable i still liked it.
    Be passionate about the craft, achievements, events and community.
    But do not worship the machine, pedestal nor system.
    You cannot afford to be blind, for yourself and others.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    I mean, they borrowed scientific concepts, but didn't follow any of them. It would be like knowing that heat makes things expand, so they shine a light bulb onto a watermelon and it explodes.
    You're aware that the technical adviser for this film is like the third smartest physicist in the world, right? You saying they got the science wrong is a little ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    You're aware that the technical adviser for this film is like the third smartest physicist in the world, right? You saying they got the science wrong is a little ridiculous.
    I have no real stake in this debate either way, but your assumption is also ridiculous. All that means is that they paid some guy(I'll take your word that it's like "the third smartest physicist in the world") to advise them, and that payment got him a technical adviser credit. It doesn't actually mean they actually followed much(or any) of what his advice was.

You can find soldiers/cops as technical advisers/trainers on a lot of action movies and TV shows with people who do not act or remotely behave like real cops/soldiers do. It means something like the cop could tell the director if we were clearing this room, this is how we would do it, then he might film it that way, or instead, in the interest of making a more "exciting" or whatever scene, he disregards the proper method and has the hero kick down the door then somersault into the room with a pistol in each hand. Not saying that is what happened with Interstellar, just pointing out that having an expert on something as a movie's "technical adviser" in no way means the movie is actually accurate in how things are done, it simply means someone told them how it would or should be done.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, because directors always listen to advisers and never choose the "better" vision.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    I have no real stake in this debate either way, but your assumption is also ridiculous. All that means is that they paid some guy(I'll take your word that it's like "the third smartest physicist in the world") to advise them, and that payment got him a technical adviser credit. It doesn't actually mean they actually followed much(or any) of what his advice was.
    So you couldn't take 15 seconds and actually look up who it was? Or be bothered to have read the entire thread, and see him listed like 14 times? "No real stake in the debate" doesn't mean you aren't barred from using your brain.

Took me 7 seconds, going straight through Google.

Kip Thorne. Read up, enjoy, and I'l accept your apology, whether you post it here or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Yeah, because directors always listen to advisers and never choose the "better" vision.
    Again, don't worry about reading up on something before you post. Silly facts might get in the way of your ridiculous opinions. Do you even know who wrote and directed Interstellar?

some people just like to find any and all mistakes. its a movie. the acting was good. the music and sound was good as well as the visuals. the plot was good. was worth the 15 bucks i spent watching it.

Deleted
    was worth my bandwidth.

So you couldn't take 15 seconds and actually look up who it was? Or be bothered to have read the entire thread, and see him listed like 14 times? "No real stake in the debate" doesn't mean you aren't barred from using your brain.
    I don't care who the guy is. As I said, I took your word for it. But really cute how instead of replying to the point I made(which, you know, kinda killed your actual argument) you got all up in arms because I didn't use the name of the physicist(which, I might add, you did not do either), something that was completely, totally, 100% irrelevant to what I was saying. So...was there something that barred you from using YOUR brain, as you put it, other than the fact that you just couldn't come up with an ACTUAL reply?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    I don't care who the guy is. As I said, I took your word for it. But really cute how instead of replying to the point I made(which, you know, kinda killed your actual argument) you got all up in arms because I didn't use the name of the physicist(which, I might add, you did not do either), something that was completely, totally, 100% irrelevant to what I was saying. So...was there something that barred you from using YOUR brain, as you put it, other than the fact that you just couldn't come up with an ACTUAL reply?
    Lol, I know you don't care who the guy is, which is the sad part of this entire discussion. Not caring about the details of what you're talking about is even worse, but don't sweat it - your ignorance is more than "cute", it's adorable.

Your point was that they hired "some guy", who it wasn't, and they didn't follow his advice, which they in fact did. All I'm "up in arms about" is that you care to comment on things you don't understand and can't be bothered to learn about.

Interstellar uses top physicists as references for details of their movie.

Anonymous person on MMO-C thinks they know better.

I'm going to go with Interstellar on this one, guys.