Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Question When will people realize WoD isn't a Time-Travel Expansion...

If anyone just got the most recent issue of Gameinformer magazine, they will notice that World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor got its own pre-review information page for anyone who had not heard about the new expansion. However the first line threw me off by stating: "Blizzard is taking World of Warcraft back in time to relive stories...". Wait hold on a second... Is this in fact a professional journalist stating that the new expansion is a time travel expansion? I personally find that even writers at "The World's #1 Game Magazine" don't even hit the nail on its head for this expansion.

Even though I understand that this is a cross-dimensional expansion, how do people still not grasp this concept?

10+ Year Old Account
    people wont get it right until either the beta has been out for a while, or they actually get to experience the beginning of the expansion.

the game magazine got it right... sorta. we get to see what Draenor was like before its destruction, but only in an alternate reality and not a time travel sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Stuff like this happens every xpac, they find something to complain about before it comes out.
    TBC: ?? sci-fi wtf so stupid
    WOTLK: omfg too much snow1!1!
    Cata: DURRGUNS
    MoP: lolpandas
    Now: omg time travel wtf

It IS time-travel, just not in a conventional way, being we go to an alternate timeline.

Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    When will people realize that we have more than enough "when will people realize" posts to last a lifetime on this forum.
    The answer is they won't ever realize because they're too damn stubborn even when faced with pure facts.
    Butts.

The problem is it seems that Blizzard's devs are saying it is not a timetravel expansion, yet, Blizzard's marketing department, are saying it IS a timetravel expansion.

I don't look at it as a time travel expansion at all, no one should really, its not the theme of it, but it doesn't help when the company itself is giving conflicting answers, which would be more than likely why the magazine has put it, from Blizz marketing.

Maybe Blizzard can't get it right?

"Garrosh will be put on trial and escape before a verdict. He is upset and hates the Horde, Alliance, and Thrall. He goes back in time, which alters the current timeline slightly"

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...ft-What-s-Next

We don't think flying makes questing quicker. We think it makes it trivial. There is a difference. Source
    How does flying trivialise this quest?
    Cherry picking data, have a read.

Quote Originally Posted by flaggel View Post
    If anyone just got the most recent issue of Gameinformer magazine, they will notice that World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor got its own pre-review information page for anyone who had not heard about the new expansion. However the first line threw me off by stating: "Blizzard is taking World of Warcraft back in time to relive stories...". Wait hold on a second... Is this in fact a professional journalist stating that the new expansion is a time travel expansion? I personally find that even writers at "The World's #1 Game Magazine" don't even hit the nail on its head for this expansion.

Even though I understand that this is a cross-dimensional expansion, how do people still not grasp this concept?
    just because its not our timeline doesnt mean it isnt time travel. its still 30 years in the past compared to our timeline.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Probably never. Some people still seem to think MoP and even Cataclysm were Horde expansions after all. No reason to think WoD will be looked at any more intelligently.

15+ Year Old Account
    How is it not a time-travel expansion if we're going to a pre-explosion Draenor of the past? If it was only alternative world without time-travel, we'd see adult Thrall of Draenor facing adult Thrall of Azeroth. And a rather old Garrosh.

I don't think people understand that if you go back in time, in another dimension, you are time travelling lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Probably never. Some people still seem to think MoP and even Cataclysm were Horde expansions after all. No reason to think WoD will be looked at any more intelligently.
    Well, considering that MoP shifted towards Horde politics and Horde civil war, with Horde Warchief being the main antagonist, and the Alliance kind of just tagged along for unknown reason... It's easy to say so.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it matters since they've been going full fan fic since mop now.

Quote Originally Posted by Toiran View Post
    The problem is it seems that Blizzard's devs are saying it is not a timetravel expansion, yet, Blizzard's marketing department, are saying it IS a timetravel expansion.

I don't look at it as a time travel expansion at all, no one should really, its not the theme of it, but it doesn't help when the company itself is giving conflicting answers, which would be more than likely why the magazine has put it, from Blizz marketing.
    But even devs admit that it will all start with time travel ... without it there would be no expansion. And alternate reality that came to be by time travel vs just time travel, you can't really separate those. Time travel and alternate universes that get created by time travel are two sides of the same coin.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    I don't think people understand that if you go back in time, in another dimension, you are time travelling lol.
    Honestly, it does depend on which aspect you consider to be of greater importance as to whether you call it a time travel or alternate dimension expac (although both are true).

For me, the fact that this Draenor is not Draenor as it was in the main timeline makes me lean more towards the dimension hop side rather than the time travel. =

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is a certain degree of time travel involved here, I won't lie. It's just not the main focus of the expansion. We're not fixing the timeline, we're just stopping the Iron Horde.

As for when people stop whining about it, never. It'll be like Pandas was for MoP, the constantly resurfacing argument for why the expansion sucked after a troll is exposed.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Bervose View Post
    Honestly, it does depend on which aspect you consider to be of greater importance as to whether you call it a time travel or alternate dimension expac (although both are true).

For me, the fact that this Draenor is not Draenor as it was in the main timeline makes me lean more towards the dimension hop side rather than the time travel. =
    My thing is, if the story line consists of all the characters from Draenor in the past, with all of the same locations - it sounds like you are just going to a past version of Draenor... even if it's an alternate dimension, it's still Draenor in the past lol.

I mean if they had totally different characters, like no Nerzhul, no Guldan, and totally different characters replacing them, I could see the alternate dimension thing maybe... it just sounds like blizzard really doesn't want to admit that this expansion is a time travel one because it brings negative connotations.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    just because its not our timeline doesnt mean it isnt time travel. its still 30 years in the past compared to our timeline.
    At least someone gets it..

The Iron Horde does not exist anymore. We go BACK in time. It does not matter if it is our timeline or not. Fact of the matter is we are going to be exploring what happened before Thrall was warchief. I don't know what you would call that other than going back in time.

When will people realize WoD is a Time-Travel Expansion???

Quote Originally Posted by MaxJr View Post
    When will people realize WoD is a Time-Travel Expansion???
    I think they realize ... they just don't want to admit it

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.