Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Some Question for Prot HELP PLS !

HI guys,

iam new to warry and i read the stickys. is it still right when iam undergeared that the avoid build is the best for survivability? or is mastery way better for low geared prots ?
    should i go for hit/exp-hardcap `?

thank u

Deleted
    You always wanna go for hit cap at 7,5% and expertise cap at i think it's 15% for tanks.

If the mastery or the avoidance build is better for your gear i think it's a matter of what you like, i've heard mastery due to the more smooth damage income, but i'm not prot pro. There might be a better answer, but from my knowledge i would go mastery for low level.

Best regards
    Chop

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would probably go with the mastery build and as mentioned above get the hit and expertise cap to get reliable rage gains for low item level so you won't be as spiky.
    Overall I'd just take any item level upgrade tho even if it has avoidance on it while you're going for mastery because of the Stamina gains.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zworg View Post
    I would probably go with the mastery build and as mentioned above get the hit and expertise cap to get reliable rage gains for low item level so you won't be as spiky.
    Overall I'd just take any item level upgrade tho even if it has avoidance on it while you're going for mastery because of the Stamina gains.
    Excuse my question, but which stamina gains are related to mastery?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Deleted
    He meant that he should go for higher ilvl disregarding itemization because of the stamina that comes from it.

And I agree. Don't know how undergeared you are op, or what kind of content you are trying to tank, but just equip whatever the highest ilvl you have in your bags. If you are doing SoO heroic with 510 or something like that, try grabbing all the stamina possible and think of mastery. If it's not tha bad, choose yourself.

If you're a new warrior, go avoidance. You don't have much room for error going full mastery because you don't have very much rage to play with, and if you want to really learn how to tank, you need resources to get some practice using your active mitigation.

A Prot warrior in my guild was super squishy and couldn't keep threat, so I suggested he go full avoidance- it's highest DPS for prot by far and a massive increase in rage generation. He ran with accuracy > full mastery > avoidance before, but he never had enough rage to actually take advantage of having that much mastery. A prot warrior who just sits at low rage all the time is pretty much just a bad arms warrior with a shield.

If you feel you're not often getting to 60+ rage to respond to incoming damage, just start stacking avoidance- you get 75% of your raw avoidance numbers as crit- you can get to 25% crit pretty quickly. Your Revenge (20 rage, 9 sec CD) resets every time you dodge or parry, and critical strikes with Devastate and Shield Slam give you 10 rage. Crit is strong enough for a warrior that some players actually gem and reforge full crit after getting to the hit/exp caps, but Parry/Dodge is by far the strongest spec for balancing passive mitigation, active mitigation, and DPS. On very heavy magic damage fights like Iron Juggernaut, Immerseus, or Dark Shamans, mastery is completely worthless- it's all about having enough rage to reliably get strong shield barriers.

Deleted
    ty for the answers. this is my warry: http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/characte...raaft/advanced
    i wanna reroll for sure and wanna start SoO nHc from now. i feel very spiky atm. is it normal with my gear and avoidance build ? i looked for some Pro Prots and i.e. Sco from method is going for mastery>parry. hope u can tell me the right choice for my gear ! tyvm

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karsai View Post
    ty for the answers. this is my warry: http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/characte...raaft/advanced
    i wanna reroll for sure and wanna start SoO nHc from now. i feel very spiky atm. is it normal with my gear and avoidance build ? i looked for some Pro Prots and i.e. Sco from method is going for mastery>parry. hope u can tell me the right choice for my gear ! tyvm
    It´s always dangerous to draw conclusions by looking what world class tanks do. You never know why they actually did something. perhaps they try out something new, perhaps they optimize their gear for a certain tactic. And being a worldclass tank doesn´t mean you are a gifted theorycrafter.

Iny my eyes, at very low gearscores, go for mastery. Once you feel less squishy, go for avoidance. Avoidance takes less damage overall, but more spikes then mastery does. Once you aquired a certain amount of stamina, spikes won´t matter that much anymore.
    Oh, and please avoid the three big mistakes for beginners: 1) Sitting on cooldowns until shit hits the fan (use them active as mitigation) 2) use heroic strike/cleave without ultimatum (that´s a waste of rage) and 3)Use the same build of glyphs and talents for every boss (switching is the key, wanted and encouraged by blizzard)
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.

Deleted
    You might want to drop some money on http://www.wowhead.com/item=79329 and http://www.wowhead.com/item=98615 . The first you will get cheap and it's wonderful for its ilvl, the second you won't replace until you hit heroics. I guess there should be other low ilvl BoEs cheap for either valor, JP or gold? Then you will want to take a look at your enchants and reforges, fix your hit/exp, something like http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/eu/eredar/kraaft (press optimize) and then you might to log some fight, to see if it's all your gear's fault, or you are doing something wrong besides.

Deleted
    My suggestion in all honesty would be to try get as much stam as you can as your highest priority when undergeared while getting as much mastery as you can.
    Once you reach around 530 however I would suggest changing from Mastery to Avoidance as you will net better and better gains as your gear increases in ilevel from that point onwards

Deleted
    tyvm guys. when i go with avoidance build... should i use shield block on cooldown or only when there comes heavy phys dmg ?

Deleted
    Is the other way. When something heavy comes, whether it's physical or not, you put rage into barriers, abandoning Sblock if needed. I don't think you will see that on nHC SoO, maybe if you solotank thok. While the damage is "normal", keep Sblock on CD and put the rest of your rage into barrier (there will be plenty of rage to share between both skills when your gear catches up).

Deleted
    mhhh? i dont understand what u mean. u said when heavy dmg coming in i should use sblock or barrier. and u said hold sblock on CD.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karsai View Post
    mhhh? i dont understand what u mean. u said when heavy dmg coming in i should use sblock or barrier. and u said hold sblock on CD.
    Always use shield block unless it would mean you don't have enough rage for a full shield barrier when there is a big hit coming.

I've decided to go with a full crit build on my warrior, I don't know why it isn't really talked about at all. But I started it around 530~ ilv, and I'm now 555, and I love it. Of course, its just a flex alt, so I don't have my gem/cape yet, but from what I've seen in flex/some normal modes I've done, I have a STUPID amount of rage to play around with, almost too much.
    Crit/Mastery build is totally an option as far as I'm concerned, plus you can OS DPS also with the game gear.
    Once I have my gem/cape I'm without a doubt gonna take my warrior into some of our heroic kills and test it out.
    Especially once your 2 piece is in place, it seems stupid to not go full crit and take full advantage of being able to spam barrier/block.
    Idk, maybe it is just me, but I like it. Btw, armory is in my sig if ya wanna check it out ;]

Deleted
    The reason is, yes you do get more rage and yes you do get slightly more DPS but you sacrifice any other mitigation stats to get that. If you go into mastery as well as crit you will end up with the same crit as you would from a riposte avoidance spec. If you go fully into crit you lose pretty much all mastery and dodge you would otherwise have got making you incredibly vulnerable.

As a crit build you would just be too susceptible to random deaths for it to be worth it imho. Naturally if you are going to push for rank 1's and max possible DPS then by all means give it a try, however I just feel that you are sacrificing too much for that DPS and you become incredibly squishy by doing so
    Atleast from a 25 HC standpoint anyway

Quote Originally Posted by RuneeBH View Post
    I've decided to go with a full crit build on my warrior, I don't know why it isn't really talked about at all. But I started it around 530~ ilv, and I'm now 555, and I love it. Of course, its just a flex alt, so I don't have my gem/cape yet, but from what I've seen in flex/some normal modes I've done, I have a STUPID amount of rage to play around with, almost too much.
    Crit/Mastery build is totally an option as far as I'm concerned, plus you can OS DPS also with the game gear.
    Once I have my gem/cape I'm without a doubt gonna take my warrior into some of our heroic kills and test it out.
    Especially once your 2 piece is in place, it seems stupid to not go full crit and take full advantage of being able to spam barrier/block.
    Idk, maybe it is just me, but I like it. Btw, armory is in my sig if ya wanna check it out ;]
    Going full crit is pretty foolish honestly, with riposte you'll have slightly less crit but a higher avoidance chance == More revenge spam. So overall it may be a dps loss to go full crit, haven't actually looked into it too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfriend View Post
    Going full crit is pretty foolish honestly, with riposte you'll have slightly less crit but a higher avoidance chance == More revenge spam. So overall it may be a dps loss to go full crit, haven't actually looked into it too much.
    I have the same Ilevel as him and my riposte gives me 2% more crit.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by idefiler6 View Post
    I have the same Ilevel as him and my riposte gives me 2% more crit.
    Then one of you must be itemized quite badly. If you have an Item with two gem slots, parry and dodge on it, it will always net into more crit to gem full crit then to gem avoidance.

Not that that would be smart.