Deleted

General question for people that hurt clicking alt+keys.

I was really hurting pressing alt and 1,2,3,4,5 for my actions. Well, not any abnormal pain, but it just started pissing me off how uncomfortable it is after years of doing it.

So I thought of binding space doing it together with those keys. Though, I'm not sure what to do with jump. Should it be on the mouse?

Anyone with any experience about it? I heard of removing movement completely and doing it all with the mouse and living spells all dedicated to the left hand (and no movement there) though I tried it and I think it's lacking a bit, the mouse seems a bit 'convoluted' doing the movement all on its own, I think the main reason we like it isn't only the movement but also moving the cursor around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try using Shift? It's a much easier button to use, as your pinky is right there. I only use Alt for non-combat stuff, and, if I REALLY need to bind another key, I use shift. However, rather than just limiting myself to 1-5, I also bind abilities to T, Z, X, F, and G; all very reachable keys. I keep a few of them consistent across my characters, such as F is almost always interrupt. I'd also recommend using F1-F6 as well. That's where I have my major cooldowns. There's plenty of space near your hand to rebind. And never forget ~.

Maybe also look into a G15 keyboard. The extra buttons to the side are nice, and I generally bind them to Numpad keys with modifiers.
    Last edited by Vouksh89; 2013-12-15 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Grammar derps

Deleted
    I don't keybind alt with anything either. The position is kinda akward for me... I go with shift & ctrl 1-5 and shift/ctrl Q or E. And most of the buttons around WASD are used for spells.

I have tiny fingers and don't like to stretch them too far, so here's what I do:

Bind movement to YGHJ keys - right in the center of the keyboard (which I use for strafing along with the mouse for turning). I use keys 5-9 and every letter in range for my binds. I can also use the alt key as my modifier, and it is surprisingly easy to jump with space even while pressing alt. It works pretty well for me - I can bind every key I want comfortably in range of my hand.

Deleted
    ctrl and shift are way worse since they are even further than alt (and I already use some other keys, but I leave them for less important action (largely non-combat and rarely in combat) since they are relatively far from the comfort zone)..

I was interested in people that completely avoided those convoluted ways.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by magik8ball View Post
    I have tiny fingers and don't like to stretch them too far, so here's what I do:

Bind movement to YGHJ keys - right in the center of the keyboard (which I use for strafing along with the mouse for turning). I use keys 5-9 and every letter in range for my binds. I can also use the alt key as my modifier, and it is surprisingly easy to jump with space even while pressing alt. It works pretty well for me - I can bind every key I want comfortably in range of my hand.
    Actually that's pretty smart. Alt is close. Here it would be perfect if uhjk were used and space would be next to it (even if space itself would compete with it a bit).

Hrm, actually, it may be smarter to put space do the modifying and alt to jump. So that the modifier is even more roomy.

Deleted
    Bind the modifiers (ctrl, shift, alt) to mouse buttons.

Deleted
    ^12345qe
    +
    the same with shift is enough for alle the spells i use (some i rarely use are on extra bars i click with my mouse)

but alt is very important for me.
    i use it for push2talk and im quite comfortable using it for that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Espada View Post
    Bind the modifiers (ctrl, shift, alt) to mouse buttons.
    I tried it. It's no good. At times the mouse has to be moved it feels convoluted.

I have ridiculously small hands ( and a broken wrist atm). Used to raid quite hardcore til mid cata, always used the 1-9 buttons, never could get the hang of a modifier.
    K, is my "oshit" button regardless of toon (CD, regen, whatever) T, is my taunt on whatever tank im on, G is always my interrupt, with F being a secondary one if I have it on that toon.. otherwise its generally a combat cd like mass entangle.
    I've never once had a problem with keybinds, I main a healer so everything that I need is always close to the raid UI. Ofc I have trang and brez on keybinds but I dont use those keybinds on every toon.
    I know people on here might flame you/me for not having a Razer Naga or whatever, but I honestly don't think you need to keybind everything, half of it is so circumstantial anyway. I'm happy to click my healthstone when I need it....
    Warriors in PvP are like small hyperactive children in a candy shop made of bouncy castle.

Quote Originally Posted by FemaleGoblinMage View Post
    ctrl and shift are way worse since they are even further than alt (and I already use some other keys, but I leave them for less important action (largely non-combat and rarely in combat) since they are relatively far from the comfort zone)..

I was interested in people that completely avoided those convoluted ways.
    Wait, do you hit alt with your thumb? You should hit shift and ctrl with your little finger. If your middle finger rests on W, pointer finger on D, and ring finger on A, then your little finger should be very close to be resting on the shift key.

There are a lot of factors to take into consideration. What is the least amount of bound keys that you need to play optimally?

I personally use an unorthodox binding system due to joint pain. My hand sits in the exact same position as if I were going to type. I only use E and D for movement. That leaves me with 15 very comfortable binds that will never fatigue my hand. That works extremely well for me because using modifier keys feels very messy and even painful.

I considered using the Spacebar at one point as well. But you sometimes just don't realize how often you use that function.

Another option that might work better for you if you don't want to move away from WASD, is to download the KeyTweak program. Using that, you could remap your CapsLock key as a modifier key (Shift or Alt). That might make enough difference for your personal issue.
    Last edited by Clash the DK; 2013-12-16 at 03:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Willias View Post
    Wait, do you hit alt with your thumb? You should hit shift and ctrl with your little finger. If your middle finger rests on W, pointer finger on D, and ring finger on A, then your little finger should be very close to be resting on the shift key.
    I definitely use alt with my thumb, along with spacebar for jumping. I invert my hand slightly so my pinky is resting on ` (my PTT key) so index through ring have easy access to 1-6, qwerty, asdfg. I have some rare things bound to Z and X (usually raidmarkers, also hit with thumb), and C I keep as the default "Char" screen so I'm never pressing it.

I find that far more comfortable than shifting my hand the other way, and hitting CTRL/SHIFT with my pinky. My pinky is a much weaker finger compared to my thumb, and thus should be used for inconsequential things (like my vent key). Plus, with my hand tilted counterclockwise, I feel like my hand is almost straddling the keyboard, and gives me better coverage.

This all may be due to the fact that I'm left-handed and it's my dominant hand, but I definitely feel the difference from trying to use my pinky for things.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have tiny hands, so using the ctrl/alt++ was usually difficult for me, but I don't take things too seriously in a game, so I don't realllly need to have so many bindings on most of my toons.