Switching to Clothies.

So after playing wow for a little big less then 9 years I've come too realize that I never got into playing a cloth caster. I've played all melee, heals and a dab of hunter. So I've leveled a mage, warlock, and priest all to 90 and was wondering if anyone had advice for playing these classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Best advice I can give you is to go and hit the class forums. Tons of advice and stickied guides there. By habit I play shadow but am thinking very seriously of going frost mage next expansion for PVE.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-12-16 at 12:43 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I can give this much;

If you enjoy immense power, roll a frost mage. That are obscenely powerful, good survivability, and, if PvP is your thing, great control. They're pretty fun to play, too. Fire is nice but if you're not geared that high then the lack of crit screws you over. You can play arcane if you like being an arcane-slinging totem.

Warlocks are fun, too, especially with a voidlord. In high gear you'll find soloing older content pretty damn easy with your pet out and beating on the mob/boss with your dots / heavy hitter spells. Destruction is fun in which you have great survivability and healing. Also, Chaos Bolt ftw. I can't comment on Affliction and Demo because, well, I've never play Affliction, and I haven't played Demo since 5.2.

Shadow Priests are... odd. I see they're bottom of some ranking yet whenever I go into flex or LFR I always see them near the top (though this is true mostly in AoE fights).

IMO it's hard to say. Mage and Warlock can only queue as DPS so their wait times are long as hell, making gearing a bit of a pain, but for priest you can just queue as healer and gear up for DPS by setting your loot spec to shadow, though the problem is that it is the worse of the DPS clothies.

No major advice really, but mage and warlock can be similar with the the destro spec...Ultimately you wanna burn face?

Need to decide for yourself (maybe a little RP'ish) where you wanna take the toon. If you wanna raid hardcore, go Fotm.. If you dont , play what the hell you like. Ranged have lots of advantages over melee, look at your spells carefully. Also what he said above^^ a lot depends on what you really want to do.

I don't particularly like my shad priest, but even in Timeless gear I can pwn ass.... As a personal choice between the 3 classes you said, i'd have to go with lock. Indestructible lol
    Last edited by redwitchy; 2013-12-16 at 12:13 AM.
    Warriors in PvP are like small hyperactive children in a candy shop made of bouncy castle.

Warlock or Mage would be my first choice If you want to be a pure face melter. As a shadow priest main, I say avoid SP like the plague.... Multi target fights you will be leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else, single target you will be barely keeping up with tanks. It's very frustrating, and the tiny bit of utility you bring is practically non-existent now.
    "You take 4,994,468 boredom damage from daily quests.... You have died."

I've been a clothie main for years now. Mage has always been quite fun for me, Teleports are just amazing and the DPS has always been high.
    Now i don't exactly have any interest to PVP but if you do, Enjoy Frost. Frost has always been good and the DPS in a PVE setting is just extra gravy.
    Fire is distinctly better to go as you develop better gear, its due to relying heavily on secondary stats like Crit.

Arcane relies very very heavily on planning ahead and being careful on when and where to position your Rune of power. Overall, there are 3 distinct playing styles and there isn't one true better Spec. Just enjoy your specs and be sure to switch your main for offspec, depending on the fight.

Cloth classes rely more on mobility and active defenses (cooldowns or forms) to reduce damage taken.

Also they tend to have the most Crowd Control available to them, with some having more long CC while others have more of a panic low duration CC.

Two main things about playing cloth classes - always be casting (never stand idly) and always keep distance against any melee opponent.

A bonus would be: always consult your tank/healer about your position in a fight, both due to boss mechanics and due to healer having spread healing spells or having limited bunch-up healing spells.

Advice? What advice could you possibly want? Stack for healing, otherwise be "ranged."

I don't think switching a char is game changing. And considering you leveled 3 characters to 90 before even extensively playing any...I don't think you're doing heroic garrosh on any of them any time soon.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Destro Lock feels really strong with Soul Link and GoSac IMO, one of my favorite Class/Spec/Talent Combos, tons of self healing with Embers, lots of HP and such. Advice? You leveled these classes? Didn't any of those Levels teach you anything about the classes?
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremmon View Post
    Warlock or Mage would be my first choice If you want to be a pure face melter. As a shadow priest main, I say avoid SP like the plague.... Multi target fights you will be leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else, single target you will be barely keeping up with tanks. It's very frustrating, and the tiny bit of utility you bring is practically non-existent now.
    Yeah, single target DPS is so messed up on shadow that both disc and holy are better questing specs. I used to play shadow a ton before MoP but if you aren't in current tier raid gear it's unendurable. They just got something wrong. Maybe they'll fix it in WoD.