Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zannis View Post
    It's relevant. A white student would have received a lesser punishment. We live in a nation where white kids kill people while under the influence and get probation for being rich while black kids go to jail for much less.

There's a huge double standard, and only the blind and ignorant refuse to acknowledge it.
    This is not a race issue. This is an issue with boundaries and assault. He was warned previously to this incident according to the article. He chose to ignore the warning and ambush hugged his teacher while nuzzling her neck. That is highly inappropriate and the punishment is warranted. Better the kid learns boundaries now before he is a full adult out on the streets and getting arrested for sexual assault.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Who said "no responsibility" the fact is a year suspension, making sure he doesn't graduate on time, and ruining his lacrosse scholarship is beyond ridiculous.
    What punishment isn't ridiculous in a vacuum? Do you think his previous suspension could have compounded the punishment? He is a repeat offender, even if the offense is different. Should kids on scholarships receive preferential treatment?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    He hugged someone, and now he's suspended for a year. He lost his scholarship, he'll probably not be able to go to college, might not even graduate. You don't think one year is a bit extreme for a hug?
    Meh, I'd say he got what he deserved. He clearly sexually harassed his teacher in the video, and its not like he can't go to another school to continue his studies. He's lucky imo that he didn't get sued for a stunt like that.

Deleted
    That's one heck of an oversensitive teacher!

this kind of mentality is the reason that rich doosh who killed 4 ppl while drunk driving got off with no punishment at all. If it was up to me him and all his family would have a bullet placed between thier eyes. God knows we need another generation of useless rich elite snobs who can do and say whatever they want with no repercussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Roia View Post
    Meh, I'd say he got what he deserved. He clearly sexually harassed his teacher in the video, and its not like he can't go to another school to continue his studies. He's lucky imo that he didn't get sued for a stunt like that.
    I'd say he is lucky he didn't get arrested for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zalgun View Post
    this kind of mentality is the reason that rich doosh who killed 4 ppl while drunk driving got off with no punishment at all. If it was up to me him and all his family would have a bullet placed between thier eyes. God knows we need another generation of useless rich elite snobs who can do and say whatever they want with no repercussions.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say his family deserves to die but that rich white kid deserves 4 counts of involuntary manslaughter at the least.
    As for this story here this kid needs to learn responsbility and boundaries. He needs to learn that he can't just do what he wants to other people on a whim.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    It helps if one looks at both sides of this argument, hugs are very nice to give and receive, heck, i give out hugs all the time ! but when someone warns you not to do it, you listen to that warning.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dekal View Post
    It helps if one looks at both sides of this argument, hugs are very nice to give and receive, heck, i give out hugs all the time ! but when someone warns you not to do it, you listen to that warning.
    That's fair, but that doesn't justify a 1-year-suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    He should have been expelled for that.
    For a crime of this magnitude? Execution is the only true answer!

Hugs costing lives.

How is this news again?

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    That's fair, but that doesn't justify a 1-year-suspension.
    He was warned before. He ignored the warning. He then ambush hugged the teacher from behind and the side and nuzzled/kissed her neck. That completely warrants a punishment of this magnitude. This is something serious not to be brushed off lightly. This was an assault. Even the lowest forms of assault are punished by fines and even imprisonment. He is lucky he wasn't arrested.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Requiem4aDr3am View Post
    He was warned before. He ignored the warning. He then ambush hugged the teacher from behind and the side and nuzzled/kissed her neck. That completely warrants a punishment of this magnitude. This is something serious not to be brushed off lightly. This was an assault. Even the lowest forms of assault are punished by fines and even imprisonment. He is lucky he wasn't arrested.
    He was warned, but I doubt they made it clear that he would get a one-year-suspension for doing it again. All I can gather from this is that he was told it wasn't appropriate by one teacher, to which he responded he's hugging every teacher and no one ever complained. If 9 out of 10 teachers don't complain, and one teacher tells you it's inappropriate, I doubt that it was made clear to him, that should he ever hug any teacher, or that teacher in particular, that he would be suspended for a year and thereby lose his scholarship. Because had they done that, I doubt he would've hugged her again.

It's also hard to tell if he really kissed her, or if his lips just brushed her, maybe even accidentally. He denies that he kissed her. I don't know.

In any case 1 year is too much, and basically ruining that kid's future. Give him detention. Suspend him for a week. Tell him next time it will be longer. Sit down with him and tell him that should he ever do it again he will lose his scholarship and that the situation is serious. From what I've read and seen, this didn't happen. She only said it's inappropriate and he apparently didn't understand why, because every other teacher seemed to be fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    What punishment isn't ridiculous in a vacuum? Do you think his previous suspension could have compounded the punishment? He is a repeat offender, even if the offense is different. Should kids on scholarships receive preferential treatment?
    His previous suspensions had absolutely nothing to do with "this" since the events weren't similar according to what we know.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Requiem4aDr3am View Post
    You're one of those punish everyone!!! No matter how minor! Ruin their lives!!! People aren't you..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    His previous suspensions had absolutely nothing to do with "this" since the events weren't similar according to what we know..
    It doesn't have to. It's enough he was suspended once for bad condut, warned beforehand about his behavior, which cumulated into this big suspension.
    It's the same as the more severe punishment people with criminal history get. It doesn't even have to be in the same matter, it counts because it was a bad behavior which was not corrected.

But I do agree that the punishment for this is way too big. Maybe it has something do to with the fact he is black? If I were him, I would sue the school over it. 1 year of suspension puts you back behind of your possible future career, or he might lose future scholarships, severely hindering his educational progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    Don't judge people when you just gloss over the facts of a case; or do you think being asked not to be hugged in the manner the child was hugging her, then him doing it still, makes her complaint unjustified?
    Yes, because you used your time travel machine to travel back in time to the many instances where he hugged her before and was told to stop that she never reported or documented in anyway, thanks for clearing up the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    Well in a world where it's always the teachers fault.............
    Yep, always the teachers fault that's why 9/10 posts in this thread say it's the kids fault and claim he's lying while the teacher is telling the truth while knowing nothing about either person.

The point everyone is missing is he is disputing being warned by her previously not to hug her, one of them is lying and it could just as easily be the teacher. He admitted to hugging other teachers who didn't have a problem with it, so don't try and say he admitted to hugging her before it's not what is in the article.