Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tileyfa View Post
    There's an old law where I live that the lawmakers have been too lazy to take off the books, it states that it is illegal to drive a car down Main Street without calling the police station a half-hour in advance so that all the horses could be cleared off the street. Should this law be enforced too?
    Yes, it should.
    time is money - money is power - power corrupts

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    Massive amounts of unbridled, unjustified cop hate incoming.
    only to be balanced out by the "respect police, they are always heroes" people. Usually kids of police or police themselves

Deleted
    Cops should do their jobs and keep their mouths shut. It's when they start giving lip and acting like complete douches on a power trip when people get in trouble. If they knew how to act professionally, give tickets if they've got tickets to give, make arrests if they're there to arrest people, there would be a lot less problems.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2013-12-17 at 03:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Cops should do their jobs and keep their mouths shut. It's when they start giving lip and acting like complete douches on a power trip when people get in trouble. If they knew how to act professionally, give tickets if they've got tickets to give, make arrests if they're there to arrest people, there would be a lot less problems.

So..... when a call comes in, they should just ignore it? or should they do their job and show up, like this cop? and when he gets to the scene, should he just stand there and stare at the guy? or should he tell the guy what is going on and why they were called.

There was no arrest here, there was no harassment, there was a cop who got called telling the guy why the cops were called. That is his fucking job, and you need to keep your mouth shut.

The only one giving lip her is the guy with the camera.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Quote Originally Posted by britishbubba View Post
    Judging by the cops demeanor, he didn't really seem to want to be there. But when your boss tells you to do something you do it *shrug*. Seems more of an issue with the local laws than the cop tbh.

Local or federal or state laws doesnt matter the fact that you get in trouble for washing a car but noone will blink an eye or do anything to check you out if you have 500 firearms laying around that just shows how far to the extreme right wing the country have tilted. Remember the 2nd amendment talks about allowing firearms for the purpose of a well regulated militia and say NOTHING about you being allowed to own unlimited amount of guns as a private citizen.

The cop couldn't have been much nicer to them. The people that live there are the morons that don't know the rules and laws in their own neighborhood.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

It's pretty clear this isn't just "police harassment" and the cop himself thinks it's stupid. He doesn't ticket them, he's all but rolling his eyes while reading this stupid snooty village's (neighborhood community with its own "laws") rules about what you can't do in public view that will "reflect poorly" on the image of the area. It's very commonplace. Many of them forbid car washing, doing yard work on certain days or holding yard sales.

Pretty pathetic to see so many childish "fuck da po-leese" attitudes when this cop, by his demeanor, also thinks it's a silly waste of time too.

Stop turning this into a guns debate. The fact: Cop came to tell guy 'a neighbor must not like you because my boss told me to come tell you you will get a ticket if you do this in your driveway'. That's it.

The law is stupid.

The fact that the officer has to come tell this guy about the law is also stupid.

My question: What kind of dick do you or your neighbor have to be for this to happen? A) you're an enormous dick, or were doing something incredibly loud in your driveway recently, or B) your neighbor is just an asshole with too much time on their hands. Either way the entire situation is ridiculous.

Also, the thread and 'news' article being labelled the same way (police harass man) is just absurd. Get over yourself. There are countless examples of police legitimately harassing people - this isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tileyfa View Post
    There's an old law where I live that the lawmakers have been too lazy to take off the books, it states that it is illegal to drive a car down Main Street without calling the police station a half-hour in advance so that all the horses could be cleared off the street. Should this law be enforced too?
    Luckily the people that live there are the lawmakers. If a law has been agreed to, even if in this case 100 years ago, it needs to be enforced. If it no longer applies or people change their beliefs or thoughts on it then do something about it.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    only to be balanced out by the "respect police, they are always heroes" people. Usually kids of police or police themselves
    Can't say I've seen much in the way of police worship. The two parties on this forum are "Don't be dicks to police" and the "OMG POLICE ARE ALL CORRUPT I'MMA BE MASSIVE DICKS TO THEM EVERY CHANCE I GET".

I've talked my way out of 3 tickets that I can think of. How? No I didn't cry, no I'm not some kind of master manipulator. Wanna know how I did it? I was fucking nice, courteous, and honest to them. Shocking concept, I know.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    More like "Stupid local ordinances that waste the time of law enforcement."

I support police for everything and if there was a vote that would come to allow police to shoot stupid ass people that exist for nothing more than to stir up trouble or make mountains out of mole hills. I'd vote yes in a heart beat. People pick on the police for doing their jobs then bash them more for when things go unsolved because of that whole no snitching bullshit. You can't win as an officer in modern America thanks to dumb fucks that think their shit don't smell. Citizens are to blame not the police.

I suppose i went a little ranting but point is the civilians are to blame for the things happens not the police.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    I don't think anyone ever argues the police are always heroes. There's more cop hate then "Cops are never wrong."
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    More like "Stupid local ordinances that waste the time of law enforcement."
    At least he wasn't arrested for chewing gum, which happens in Singapore. (Not sure if they arrest for that, but I think they do hand out fines for that)
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    The police aren't there to determine the law, they're there to enforce it.
    Police are there to determine if a law was broken and if it was a serious enough infraction to warrant taking action.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    Local or federal or state laws doesnt matter the fact that you get in trouble for washing a car but noone will blink an eye or do anything to check you out if you have 500 firearms laying around that just shows how far to the extreme right wing the country have tilted. Remember the 2nd amendment talks about allowing firearms for the purpose of a well regulated militia and say NOTHING about you being allowed to own unlimited amount of guns as a private citizen.
    I'll try to ask this in the least rude way possible... Do you know anything about politics, at all? The "extreme right" is pass conservatism to becoming 'recessive'. That would mean that we were making laws to revert to old ideologies, often racist or sexist ideologies. If the country was as extreme right as you say, slavery would have never ended, and the civil rights movement would have never been a thing, and we definitely would never have a black president.

As for your argument about the 2nd Amendment: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." There are two separate thoughts in there, yes, the militia is the main focus. But it also says that the people's right should not be infringed. Not, "Only allowed within the militia."

I usually stay away from political things on MMO-C, but I felt some true information should be perpetuated here.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    OT: Either way, shitty neighborhood if there's an ordinance saying you can't wash your vehicle. Can't really fault the cops for enforcing the law though.
    Sure you can. "Just following orders" stopped being an excuse some decades ago.

If you listen to the cop (who has to be one of the most cordial and patient I've ever seen caught on video), the law states 'In public view.'

If these two guys are smart, they'll throw up a quick screen in their driveway to block the 'public view' and continue cleaning their car. Remove the screen after the wash, leaving a clean junker in the driveway, and thus infuriating the neighbor that called the cops on them for finding a loophole in the village ordinance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or maybe instead of uploading it you take the ticket and argue against it and fix the policy
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

I don't think this cop did anything wrong. He was as polite as you could ask him to be. He was enforcing an obviously retarded law, and was apparently ordered to by his superior. I would have had a problem with it if he was just using a bullshit made up excuse to harass them, (which cops have been known to do) but he brought the paperwork with him and showed them the writing of the law, which I have some respect for.

That said, people in this thread, and others, who have this insane mentality that everyone should know all the bullshit laws people write like not being able to buy extension cords on Sunday should be burned at the stake "CAUSE DEY CRIMINALS!" really bother me more than anything else. People should really keep in mind that everyone probably breaks 20 laws walking down the street these days. Including insanely authoritarian people.