View Poll Results: Do you read up / watch videos on the new raid fights before you attempt them?

Voters
209. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    66 31.58%
  • Yes

    132 63.16%
  • I dont raid

    11 5.26%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #41
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    23,218
    Even looking it up. It feels WAY different then a guide telling me what to do. Time and time again this has proven true. Doing it myself has been more of a learning experience for me then looking it up. If that's bad to some people, I won't lose any sleep over it.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...htsongg/simple https://twitter.com/Aeluron1989

  2. #42
    This is why people ask for 540+ ilvls for flex mode because they know that people are unwilling to be smart and learn the fights before they go in.
    No, they ask for 540+ because they want to be carried.

    Gear does not fix stupid. Regardless of how high your item level is, a dead player still does 0 dps.

    Even looking it up. It feels WAY different then a guide telling me what to do. Time and time again this has proven true. Doing it myself has been more of a learning experience for me then looking it up. If that's bad to some people, I won't lose any sleep over it.
    Of course seeing the fight first-hand is essential for learning it properly. That's no excuse for not reading a strat.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    This is why people ask for 540+ ilvls for flex mode because they know that people are unwilling to be smart and learn the fights before they go in.
    That's not smart. That's lazy and self-entitled. They are obviously not playing the game for a challenge, but for loot. If you want to cheat by spoiling the fights ahead of time by all means do so. No one's going to stop you. Don't, however, disparage others because they actually want to play the game and challenge themselves. They are not "unwilling to be smart." They just want to experience the game and figure out the fights for themselves without having to conform to someone else's script. Just because you'd rather paint by numbers doesn't make the guy who is painting free-form less talented than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    People need to get over the gear color (and themselves). It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't matter what other players have either. Worry about your damn self. Live your life by that. If you want to concern yourself with someone else, then worry about HELPING them, not putting them down or making sure you stand out as better than them.
    Maybe the game would be better with more low DPS nice guys and fewer high DPS jerks? -- Ghostcrawler, Twitter, 6/29/13

  4. #44
    No, never have. Even back in Classic and TBC. I remember it always bothered my ex bf a great deal because we were in the same guild and raided together so he knew he had to explain everything to me.

  5. #45
    Herald of the Titans Aqua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    2,584
    I stick whatever popular raid tactics video is on before I go to bed on my laptop as soon as they're out, but if audio/video isn't out yet, yes I usually just read all the tactics.

    Do I go in and then perform without fail? Course not, even my raidleader is still suggesting ways in which we handle the mechanics because seeing us fail is a greater deterrent and informant than planning 18+ steps in advance for 3 different roles/several groups and a few ways we could tackle the abilities, taking up valuable time when it's discovered step 7 requires a completely different chain of thought. Cause and effect is necessary to quite a large amount of the population to learn.

    And you should NOT look down on those who are willing to learn. I say willing in massive bold. There are those who are unwilling, and they should be removed from raid environments once it's discovered they are merely here for their own benefit and to the detriment to everyone elses experience.

    But those who express interest in raiding need mid-tier guilds and heroic alike to try and coach them into enjoying raiding effectively rather than encouraging bad habits by locking them out in the cold with the assholes who think raiding is about shiny epix. (For some it might be, but I find very few raiders who have stuck around for a full 7+ years just wanting shiny loot alone, it's a nice draw, but it won't make a permanent addition to your team)
    Quote Originally Posted by savutitus View Post
    Yeah, it's always WAR WAR WAR untill..BY ALL THAT IS HOLY DO YOU SEE THAT ENEMY OVER THERE?? GLORIOUS LOOT!!!!!

  6. #46
    Nah, reading up encounters is boring & makes the encounters boring. Eitherway I got i570 so I guess it hasn't stopped me from raiding or killing bosses..
    Last edited by Thes; 2013-12-17 at 09:27 AM.

  7. #47
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    17,679
    Yes, I have a general idea and watch videos in advance.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  8. #48
    As a tank it's pretty important that you know what the fight entails before starting it because your fuck up usually results in a wipe

  9. #49
    Legendary! Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    6,888
    I briefly go over their abilities, to see if anything stands out.
    But I almost never watch videos and stuff, because most of the time my guild uses a slightly different tactic anyway.

    Ifalna Sha'yoko on Twitter and Armory - Occasionally unfaithful to WoW with my Adorable Miqo'te - (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━ ┻

  10. #50
    Raid leader will give us the general idea, usually that's all we really need. I only watch a video if we hit a brick wall.

  11. #51
    Epic! Lime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Over There
    Posts
    1,551
    Yes

    Honestly, aside from the first week or two after new content comes out, it's annoying to find people who join my groups expecting to be carried. The least people could do is research the fight so they don't waste anyone else's time. Either that or just ask. If the group doesn't have a problem with it though, I'll either drop the group or get over it. It doesn't make a huge difference in the lower difficulties.

    Big thanks to Yoni for making this Avatar and Signature!

  12. #52
    tbc through early cata i would absorb as much info i possibly could before the raid, but with the addtion of LFR i dont feel that i really need too.
    I know a few people in the raid team still relogiously read up and study the videos, but we still develop our own tactics and routines for each encounter. Which is only something you can do from experience.

    I generally find that after 1 clear of LFR i can guage 95% of things that are needed to be done in order to get the normal mode kill, and those which i cant work out i look in the journal for.
    If after a few attempts we really arent getting anywhere, i will look up a quick guide or tips on wowhead for ways in which we can tweak things to be more optimal.
    For heroics however, i will encourage the entire team to pre read any mechanic changes and preferably watch a few videos.

    As for inviting pugs, i rarely ever ask for a specific Ilvl, but will request at the absolute that they have read the encounter, or seen it for themselves on flex/normal - preferably as that role they are joining as

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Xl House lX View Post
    Your attitude is one of the reasons why I stopped raiding back when I did play WoW. Did I watch videos learn about the fights before I went into the encounter? Yes. Did I still fail because it was my first attempt? Yes. Did I get virtually yelled at for failing? Yes.

    You can read and learn about how to do something in a book all damn day, but nothing compares to learning on the spot. People in WoW, especially when it comes to the topic of raiding, have this ULTRA elitist attitude that everyone should be perfect, know 100% everything about their class, should be geared 100% to their expectations (which are usually higher than what is required), and should fail 0% of the time. This is something I would expect from a world first-type guild, not from anything below heroic raiding. Its so toxic and it really doesn't help WoW's case at all.

    This is a little off topic but the only way I would ever return to WoW (especially the raiding aspect of it) is if I was in a situation similar to what you see in the web show "The Guild", where all of my real life friends are my guild mates/raiding buddies. Internet anonymity has really negatively impacted all video games, but the MMO genre has taken a harder blow than others.
    Find the right kind off guild....


    OP, yes I often tried to watch a youtube video and read abit about the bosses, but mostly learning as I wiped.
    One reason for WoW decline I often hear is that its an old game and naturally people get bored with it. But TV is much older and people still watch that. Surely if a thing you once enjoyed keept staying fun, you would still use it?

  14. #54
    Raid Leader and Main Tank, so of course I do.

  15. #55
    yep, i want to know all the ins and outs of each fight before i raid. i want to know what to expect and always know what to do at each moment.

  16. #56
    Absolutely. I think if you intend to be a serious Heroic raider, you have to.

    Of course, you only really learn the fight when you experienced it a few times. But at least you recognize the abilities first hand, and you may practice the strategy you studied.

  17. #57
    Herald of the Titans Kuja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    City of Judgement
    Posts
    2,908
    On LFR it's more fun to go to the fights unprepared and not knowing what to expect, so you have to to adapt to the encounters quickly and learn while at it. But in a guild group I always study the encounters carefully before the raids.

    My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!


  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Xl House lX View Post
    Your attitude is one of the reasons why I stopped raiding back when I did play WoW. Did I watch videos learn about the fights before I went into the encounter? Yes. Did I still fail because it was my first attempt? Yes. Did I get virtually yelled at for failing? Yes.

    You can read and learn about how to do something in a book all damn day, but nothing compares to learning on the spot. People in WoW, especially when it comes to the topic of raiding, have this ULTRA elitist attitude that everyone should be perfect, know 100% everything about their class, should be geared 100% to their expectations (which are usually higher than what is required), and should fail 0% of the time. This is something I would expect from a world first-type guild, not from anything below heroic raiding. Its so toxic and it really doesn't help WoW's case at all.

    This is a little off topic but the only way I would ever return to WoW (especially the raiding aspect of it) is if I was in a situation similar to what you see in the web show "The Guild", where all of my real life friends are my guild mates/raiding buddies. Internet anonymity has really negatively impacted all video games, but the MMO genre has taken a harder blow than others.
    Being yelled at for making a mistake is surely a sign of a bad raid leader. However, having been raid lead for most of my time in WoW, it's frustrating to be told someone read up on stuff when he failed at the first obvious ability that tells everyone who actually knows the mechanics that he did in fact not read up on anything at all. I usually didn't yell at people, but I lost a ton of respect for them lying to me. Not saying you're one of those, but perhaps that will explain to you why we have the supposed "elitist attitude", which by the way I disagree with. I'm just fed up of being lied to when asked a simple question, because people are too embarassed/scared to admit that they know jack and need a little help. Something every good raid leader doesn't mind giving up to a certain point unless we're talking heroic raids. In that case I don't like to babysit, because I assume they are motivated enough to inform themselves about the fight.

  19. #59
    I used to be super prepared when I was playing DPS. Now that I heal my attitude has changed. I normally have an idea what the new hc boss' abilities are by watching streams from time to time. Then I have a look in the dungeon journal and that's all I need to know as healer (to be fair: not everytime but it's true 90% of the time).
    If progression goes terribly wrong I normally have a look at fatboss TV guides, they are super helpful!

    So it's something between yes and no...

  20. #60
    The Patient Sneglzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Aalborg
    Posts
    349
    I voted no. I've fought many bosses on the PTR without knowing a thing about them beforehand.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •