Poll: Do you read up / watch videos on the new raid fights before you attempt them?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you read-up / know all fights before you attempt them?

How many of you read up / know all fights in the new raids / dungeons before you attempt them?

The reason I ask this is because it was very frustrating to have people join my pugs back in the day, and them not know how the fights work, and what they needed to do. I will never invite anyone to my group if they have never atleast read up the strat / watched a video and thoroughly learned the mechanics of the fight before attempting.

This is why people ask for 540+ ilvls for flex mode because they know that people are unwilling to be smart and learn the fights before they go in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    How many of you read up / know all fights in the new raids / dungeons before you attempt them?

The reason I ask this is because it was very frustrating to have people join my pugs back in the day, and them not know how the fights work, and what they needed to do. I will never invite anyone to my group if they have never atleast read up the strat / watched a video and thoroughly learned the mechanics of the fight before attempting.

This is why people ask for 540+ ilvls for flex mode because they know that people are unwilling to be smart and learn the fights before they go in.
    Your attitude is one of the reasons why I stopped raiding back when I did play WoW. Did I watch videos learn about the fights before I went into the encounter? Yes. Did I still fail because it was my first attempt? Yes. Did I get virtually yelled at for failing? Yes.

You can read and learn about how to do something in a book all damn day, but nothing compares to learning on the spot. People in WoW, especially when it comes to the topic of raiding, have this ULTRA elitist attitude that everyone should be perfect, know 100% everything about their class, should be geared 100% to their expectations (which are usually higher than what is required), and should fail 0% of the time. This is something I would expect from a world first-type guild, not from anything below heroic raiding. Its so toxic and it really doesn't help WoW's case at all.

This is a little off topic but the only way I would ever return to WoW (especially the raiding aspect of it) is if I was in a situation similar to what you see in the web show "The Guild", where all of my real life friends are my guild mates/raiding buddies. Internet anonymity has really negatively impacted all video games, but the MMO genre has taken a harder blow than others.
    Call me House.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, because it is a game. I learn them by playing them (however I look to the dungeon journal briefly). In the Siege of Orgrimmar, I learned it in LFR so I had a little bit of experience when I jumped into flex.

10+ Year Old Account
    I generally watch FatBoss videos on bosses during progression and attempt to explain to the rest of the group. It works sometimes...

Depends on if its LFR or Flex and above.

LFR is such a joke I can take a nap while doing most of it, sadly the whole reason why I avoid it.

Ill read up on the first few of each raid, but usually we kill more bosses that I plan and don't get them all read up on. I figure that is the RL's job to call shit out and what not.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is my understanding you can get everything you need from the Journal ahead of time, and DBM tends to alert you to certain issues. I personally haven't raided since wrath, but it seems pretty straight forward. You'd have to be pretty lazy to not even read the journal before pulling the boss.

Wheres the fun in knowing how the fight goes? Me and most my guild learn by doing...which is not an option on your poll...laziness has nothing to do with it

10+ Year Old Account

You can't thoroughly learn a fight without ever having attempted it before.

I do read the fights before we go into them for the first time in our 10 man raid but we also try alternate strats or change things up depending on what is going wrong for us.

..know that some people are unwilling to watch "How to"´s on youtube for the fights before they go in.
    There, fixed!

I do read in dungeon journal, if it isn't heroic I do not check movies about the encounter. Am I lazy? No, I chose not to because I enjoy the "figure out tactics"-part of an unknown encounter. If I make a pug, do I require ilvl <insert way higher then required for that raid>? No, I do not, the only thing I require is people willing to learn, okay with taking constructive criticism and those who stay to progress. Do my pugs fail, break or disband? Sometimes, more often then not they don't. Maybe because I invite people who others don't, maybe those people actually want to do the raid, for the encounter and for the raid it self. Not just for the loot? I'm not sure, and I know that plenty of raiders with great gear don't want to "waste" time in such a raid. That is no problem, as long as you don't trash talk the others in the raid. A simple "I'm sorry but I don't have time for this. Good luck though and thanks for the raid" is enough. It is simple, nice and respectable.

Enough of off-topic... Sorry!

I really enjoy leading raids where people want to learn. I really like learning, and doing it in action. Usually it takes me about 2-3 trys to understand everything but the really advance things. By that time I know what buffs do what and how to use them to my advantage and when I'm expected to blow CDs or taunt.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

I make it a point to not read strategies/watch vids/read journals until I have seen a fight firsthand for none heroic fights. Also I disable DBM until heroic modes. This makes the encounters rather enjoyable even for normal clears.

This isn't "unwilling to be smart". I want to be surprised by what Blizzard can come up with and have fun with an encounter without guides/addons telling me how to play.
    their moving their table over their
    they're moving they're table over they're
    there moving there table over there

Although I no longer have the time to raid, and have subsequently switched to strictly doing pvp; I used to always make sure that I looked up videos on every fight before we ever attempted it. I would watch videos from multiple different sources and take notes on things they were doing that I thought would work for our raid group. This actually turned out to be extremely helpful because whenever we faced a brick wall with one way of handling a mechanic I was usually able to provide an alternative way to handle mechanics that turned out to be easier for the raid group I was running with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    If you bathe your motherboard in the blood of 20 chickens during the first full moon after the equinox, the WoW gods will shower you with many loots.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do a brief look at a vid and if their is anything I need to lookout for, for my role. if there is a debuff then i make a aura for it and thats more or less it. I have a lot of timers disabled because its not relevant to my role. I remember when I did heroic iron qon i did a aura for the thunder debuff you had to click off on people, i had a timer for the tornado phase and a timer for zerk.

people make raiding out to be some super complex activity that you need to analyze every aspect and know so many things. news flash you dont. Im a half potato and I can progress, then anyone else can.
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

Yes I read strategies preferable with pictures. There is no reason for you to get to fallen protectors or something and not know target priority.

Videos are helpful in better seeing visual cues. Last time I've seen a hand drawn stray was Magmaw, and that was not a complicated fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xl House lX View Post
    Your attitude is one of the reasons why I stopped raiding back when I did play WoW. Did I watch videos learn about the fights before I went into the encounter? Yes. Did I still fail because it was my first attempt? Yes. Did I get virtually yelled at for failing? Yes.

You can read and learn about how to do something in a book all damn day, but nothing compares to learning on the spot. People in WoW, especially when it comes to the topic of raiding, have this ULTRA elitist attitude that everyone should be perfect, know 100% everything about their class, should be geared 100% to their expectations (which are usually higher than what is required), and should fail 0% of the time. This is something I would expect from a world first-type guild, not from anything below heroic raiding. Its so toxic and it really doesn't help WoW's case at all.

This is a little off topic but the only way I would ever return to WoW (especially the raiding aspect of it) is if I was in a situation similar to what you see in the web show "The Guild", where all of my real life friends are my guild mates/raiding buddies. Internet anonymity has really negatively impacted all video games, but the MMO genre has taken a harder blow than others.
    I think your attitude is toxic, and I highly doubt you read every fight / watch videos on every fight before going into them, especially if you said you fail and not know what to do going in.

If people took time to ACTUALLY LEARN the fights. Study them. Watch the videos / read the strats (ya know, understand each and every one of the boss' abilities and know how it affects the raid) you would not fail so hard, and look like an idiot when attempting for the first time.

Didn't we have this thread for LFR?

I walk in and do my DPS rotation, end of story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope never bother. I've been raiding since bc. If i can't see them in lfr first. I go in cold. I don't watch other people play video games.

Actually honestly for the serious raids I've done I've always been the underdog sort of where I join a more progressed guild so I have to read up fights or I just can't function.

That's only like. 2 of the 3 guilds I've been in?

In the past I've always gone into fights completely blind. Never would read/watch anything about any fights, because doing so was a waste of time as reading long, complex strategy guides or watching videos just didn't translate for me. It would all be meaningless.

HOWEVER, I stumbled on this nifty guide for SoO, and man that sure changed things. The most comprehensive, 10-page strategy guide in the world or the best produced video by the best player in the best guild in the world cannot hold a candle to a simple diagram with a few bullet points for each fight.

http://imgur.com/a/gU5r6

^ Best strategy guide for any raid ever made.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but I'm also raid leader.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |