Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Feeline10 View Post
    We get all sorts of K-Cups, and our budget allows us to get expensive, tasty ones. I still don't understand the beef. So you want us to brew coffee in the morning in IT? What is this 2005?
    There is the automatic burr mill + coffee brewer option where you just put your beans and water and... leave it be lol.

Keurigs are good for hotel and waiting rooms.

Having one in your house is basically pissing money out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Feeline10 View Post
    This seems like a bad Seinfeld bit if they were still on.

"What's with those KEURIG MACHINES! I mean.. they make coffee. They're convenient.. what's with them!" (read in Seinfeld's voice)
    But they're not that much more convenient when we're talking about using them over a damn tea bag lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Keurigs are good for hotel and waiting rooms.

Having one in your house is basically pissing money out the window.
    I can understand waiting rooms and such. My issue are with constant use for at home coffee and tea and hot chocolate. Next we'll have keurig martini.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    But they're not that much more convenient when we're talking about using them over a damn tea bag lol.
    But is it about tea or coffee? Using Keurig for tea, well.. I could care less either way, but coffee is what we're talking about, no? I'm with you on the waste thing, but let me tell you brother.. strolling in 15 minutes late into IT every morning (as we all do) and making that first cup of coffee is lovely.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lol seriously... what is with the excuse of "if you had a job" When I was working 15+ hours I used a french press + electric kettle, it takes like no work. Hell you can use an aero press, it's even faster.

It's not about "don't liek them don't use it no one cares" you are ignoring the tremendous issue of non recycle plastic cups being dumped at a rate of 3 billion a year and growing.
    After a few decades of non-recyclable goods, you only have issue with one of them? Really.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

It makes me coffee quickly in the morning. That's good enough for me.

But if it makes you feel any better, I use a reusable cup.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can try the tactic of not buying or using one.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Yeah, so why exactly would I want to take all that time to whip out a french press, kettle, straining and all that other nonsense to make a cup of coffee? My time is more valuable when I'm getting out of bed at 6am than to waste it on that. I'd rather spend less than 2 minutes for a cup of coffee than to press it myself for 10, then have to wash all that shit every day.

As far as your claim on recycling issues, here's a shocking new development that should blow your mind: http://www.amazon.com/Keurig-K-Cup-R.../dp/B000DLB2FI
    You realize that the amount of cups that end up in the garbage is over 3 billion and growing right?

Even though these have been out for years people are still using the non recyclable cups in abundance.

Also glo, automatic burr mill grinder + brewer = pour water in machine, put couple tbsp beans, leave it. That process takes what, 40 seconds?

Oh, and in addition OP:

We in the IT department also use reusable K-Cups now. So we order the grounds, and put em in reusables. There ya go

Edit: This is all in good fun and a very light-hearted discussion, but you had to realize you'd be in the minority, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    You can try the tactic of not buying or using one.
    Exactly how does me not buying one affect the billions of cups that end up in the trash that you can't recycle? Hint, it doesn't. It's needless waste that is coming from the height of laziness that is also bad for our environment that's coming from a fucking "green eco friendly" company. It's pure hypocrisy.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not about decent coffee as much as it is about glorified instant coffee lol. Instant coffee you dump 2 tps into hot water is fine with me, it's not wasteful, it's not fancy, it's not faddy, it just is some okay instant coffee that takes no time, little waste, you generally get what you pay for, and it isn't wasteful in the slightest, unlike this machine.
    For all intents and purposes, neither method will get you what you pay for. K-cups might be environmentally unfriendly, but that's just about the only reasonable argument I can take away from your case. They're really convenient and I can see their value in any hectic workplace. I've unfortunately long since given up on my quest to get people to stop drinking stuff for an easy pick-me-up that I wouldn't be comfortable feeding my dog with, but I suppose that's another issue entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Trolling will result in the loss of your forum posting privileges, and the removal of your genitals with my teeth while I hum Oasis songs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have a Keurig, but I do have a Tassimo, which is basically the same concept.

My machine, at least, can also do hot milk-based drinks, like cappucinos and such. They're not coffee-shop-good, but they're as good as I could make without springing for a proper machine, which is way more expensive. And I have tea and regular coffee discs because I often just want one mug, and would rather not make more than I need. And it's faster than boiling water and then steeping the tea or brewing the coffee. Yes, by a matter of seconds, but still.

The Tassimo brewers also let you customize your drink; the discs have more "stuff" in them than their default cup size, so if you want more, you can just hold the button down, and it'll keep brewing. There's limits, but it's enough to make a biggish mug when the default is half that much.

They're a convenience. Your argument is no different than people who complain that others won't take the time to grind their own beans fresh for every brew. Or those who say that beans you roast yourself are always going to be better. And so on. If I want a really good coffee, or I'm serving to a group, I'll use a full-size coffee maker, but if I just want one cup, the Tassimo is better. Especially since I'm not going to drink more than a mug at a time, and it'll be cold if I make more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Starscreamer View Post
    And what's the deal with so many people drinking coffee, tea, energy drinks to "wake up"? Is everyone so lazy that you can't just get the hell up like I do?
    Some of us have caffeine prescriptions. And yes, I'm dead serious. If I weren't drinking coffee or soft drinks, I'd be taking a caffeine pill regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    After a few decades of non-recyclable goods, you only have issue with one of them? Really.
    I have issues with all of that; however, this is a new fad that is "now" gaining popularity at a time when we are trying to be more green.

I mean if we were brought by a machine that pumps chlorofluorocarbons into the air but was say "very very convenient for something" would it be silly to complain about it?

10+ Year Old Account
    They're still handy at the office for avoiding the debates, arguments, shouting matches, and occasional fistfights over what kind of coffee we should have and how strong to make it.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I don't have a Keurig, but I do have a Tassimo, which is basically the same concept.

My machine, at least, can also do hot milk-based drinks, like cappucinos and such. They're not coffee-shop-good, but they're as good as I could make without springing for a proper machine, which is way more expensive. And I have tea and regular coffee discs because I often just want one mug, and would rather not make more than I need. And it's faster than boiling water and then steeping the tea or brewing the coffee. Yes, by a matter of seconds, but still.

The Tassimo brewers also let you customize your drink; the discs have more "stuff" in them than their default cup size, so if you want more, you can just hold the button down, and it'll keep brewing. There's limits, but it's enough to make a biggish mug when the default is half that much.

They're a convenience. Your argument is no different than people who complain that others won't take the time to grind their own beans fresh for every brew. Or those who say that beans you roast yourself are always going to be better. And so on. If I want a really good coffee, or I'm serving to a group, I'll use a full-size coffee maker, but if I just want one cup, the Tassimo is better. Especially since I'm not going to drink more than a mug at a time, and it'll be cold if I make more than that.

Some of us have caffeine prescriptions. And yes, I'm dead serious. If I weren't drinking coffee or soft drinks, I'd be taking a caffeine pill regularly.
    When you're talking about single servings there are plenty of options already for people using regular methods, like an aero-press.

I understand the convenience argument but... we're talking about seconds when we're talking about some of these beverages. Boiling water doesn't take very long with an electric kettle anyway. My issue is the waste the amount of needless waste just for the convenience of an okay cup that you could have made using any of the several one cup methods in roughly the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you're talking about single servings there are plenty of options already for people using regular methods, like an aero-press.

I understand the convenience argument but... we're talking about seconds when we're talking about some of these beverages. Boiling water doesn't take very long with an electric kettle anyway. My issue is the waste the amount of needless waste just for the convenience of an okay cup that you could have made using any of the several one cup methods in roughly the same time.
    What needless waste?

http://www.terracycle.ca/en-CA/briga...o-brigade.html

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    They're still handy at the office for avoiding the debates, arguments, shouting matches, and occasional fistfights over what kind of coffee we should have and how strong to make it.
    I get that, though reusable cups = much better at least. I don't see the point of home use though. It's just really lazy when we're talking about saving like 30 seconds.

I get that, though reusable cups = much better at least. I don't see the point of home use though. It's just really lazy when we're talking about saving like 30 seconds.
    My Ex-GF had a Keurig with re-usable cups. It was wonderful to wake up to in the morning. It's less necessary in a household, but still cool and convenient. A workplace though? Gotta have one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get that, though reusable cups = much better at least.
    Yes, but having a dozen cans of coffee in the break room and having people filling the little reusable cups from them would make the janitorial staff go on strike.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Their money not mine. I have always made coffee the old school way and buy the "hipster" brands of coffee.