Thread: Audio dropouts

Audio dropouts

I've recently had some issues with my computer where (Running Windows 7 (64 bit) on a i5-2500k@4.3 GHz, 16 GB ram, ASRock z77 Extreme4, GTX680), when watching video, the audio cuts out for a half second or so, sometimes frequently, sometimes less frequently. At first I thought it was my headphones (USB, Logitech G35), but it happens using my speakers as well. The audio source (usually videos, but sometimes happens in games and over vent) isn't the problem, as I've played those videos both previously on the same computer, and on more recently on other computers, without issue. I use VLC for playing videos. What I've noticed is that this issue doesn't occur on a fresh boot, but over time the issue gets worse.

A potentially related issue I've noticed is that one of various svchosts, over time, grows in memory usage. This svchost has the following services associated with it: COM+ Event System, Diagnostic Service Host, Function Discovery Provider Host, Network Store Interface Service, Network List Service, Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service, and Windows Font Cache Service. Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out which specific service is the cause of the memory usage. The "worst" memory usage I've seen on it is 6.5 GB working set, while the service starts at ~11 MB on reboot. Now, memory usage itself isn't a cause for alarm, but when the entire system slows down, at a rate roughly corresponding to the increase in the svchost memory usage, I figure there's at least a correlation, if not a causation.

Any thoughts on what the cause could be/how I could fix it?
    Last edited by rhandric; 2013-12-17 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Change to title

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Memory leak or a virus is my first thought.
    You can run sfc and see if it finds anything.
    start>cmd>sfc /scannow
    PM me weird stuff :3

Yeah, memory leak was my first thought too; sfc doesn't find anything wrong.

Deleted
    When did you last update the motherboard, sound and gfx drivers?

Have you also installed the Platform update for Win 7 in the "optional" tab in Windows Update? Is kinda like a mini Service Pack.

Recently installed the latest drivers for headset, but after the issue started (issue started about a month or so ago, installed headset drivers a week ago). Checked motherboard drivers, none recently updated (online or on computer), gfx drivers are about 2 months old. I do have the Platform update for Win 7 installed, too

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm afraid windows reinstall is the only viable option then :/
    You could try and check for virus/malware, but there is little chance that will help.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Deleted
    Download Process Explorer from Microsoft and run it. Locate the svchost that has huge memory usage and open its properties.

On the services tab shut down the services its hosting 1 at a time until the memory usage returns to normal to find out what service is causing the issues.

Then you will know where to look.

foil, I run process explorer, and I've tried that - the services won't readily shut down, due to dependencies - one of the services, I think Network Store Interface Services, won't let me shut it down, or even restart, normally through the Services control panel, as one of the dependencies, out of about a dozen, doesn't shut down (IIRC, it's the Workstation service, though I'll have to double check when I'm back home).

So an update: I've spent some time looking at this, and the service that is using all the memory is definitely nsi, the network store interface service. I updated the drivers, and hope that'll fix the issue.

A couple things to note.
    1) I have a Drobo 5N and a network share mounted. It doesn't seem to be the cause of the issue, as I've had it for a long time before running into the issue, and disconnecting the drive doesn't free the memory (which reinstalling the driver did, understandably so), but that's not necessarily evidence.
    2) I run the plex server on my computer. This could potentially be the cause, though I haven't delved too much into it.