Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Smile Lotto Winner to Give All to Charity

It was very nice to see a story like this. These are the stories that renew your faith in humanity after the hundreds of takes on murder, bigotry, and greed.

Calgary lotto winner Tom Crist to give $40M prize away

If this story does not get picked up nationally/globally I will not be surprised, but it damned well should.

I have no idea how wealthy this man was before he won, but he was CEO of a major electric company that was recently sold for $1.14 billion. Regardless, I wish more former and current CEOs in the world had a heart like his.

Crist said he plans to put the money into a family trust fund to be doled out to charities he and his kids pick over the years. Charities such as the Canadian Cancer Society and Calgary's Tom Baker Cancer Centre will be at the top of that list, he says.

It sounds like they are going to try to make sure that the money goes to the right places.
    Last edited by Roose; 2013-12-18 at 02:06 AM.
    I like sandwiches

Wow, I would never do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really hope it's a sincere charity. Mostly so all that $$ goes to a truly noble cause. I admit, I wouldn't be able to give it ALL to charity. He's a better man than I am.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Sounds like buddy is already well off. He lost his wife to cancer so I hope he chooses a charity where all the dollars are going to the source of the problem ..if you know what I mean. I would do Sick Kids Foundation if I was that guy.

I'm WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too greedy to do that. I already told my grandma if she wins the lotto I'm taking everything and she'll be fucking lucky if I decide to share with her other kids. And by share I mean buy them a house. Not like let them live in luxury.

He must not have any kids

Deleted
    Well I would never do that, what a waste of money I won. I'd give some to local charities, but only ones that I know will help my local area, poor guy, hope he doesn't end up regretting that in a few years!

At least it's too a real charity where the profits go to helping people. This man is kind, i'd never do something like this not because i'm greedy but because i don't have faith in charities.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think maybe one person actually read the article.

Yes, he is obviously a much better person than many on here. I hope that I would do the same if I were in his position.
    I like sandwiches

He is a much better person than I am, I would have kept and saved it for myself and my family.

Deleted
    Respect. I would never do that. I would take what I need to secure good life for rest of my life and rest I would give to charity or something useful and that helps other people. Probably something that helps young people or people with problems with mental health. But yeah, no way I would give all away. Maybe something like 10 million to me and 30 million to good for other people. And if I some point notice that I have excess money I can use it for good later on too.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    Well I would never do that, what a waste of money I won. I'd give some to local charities, but only ones that I know will help my local area, poor guy, hope he doesn't end up regretting that in a few years!
    Sounds like the guy was already loaded anyways though. Being a CEO and all. He obviously didn't need the money.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I were rich already, I would've done the same thing.
    Currently, I wouldve upped my living situation. And hot meals, would be a daily thing! one can dream.
    I like juice

I always said I'd do pretty much the same if I ever won big on the lottery... except I'd keep 5-10% for myself

10+ Year Old Account
    Mid-Michigan (Originally Victoria, Australia)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    He must not have any kids
    Reading comprehension ftw!

"Crist said he plans to put the money into a family trust fund to be doled out to charities he and his kids pick over the years."

That's cool, good for him. I think I'd cap my charitable donations at about 50% of my winnings if I ever won the lotto, but hey.

It better be a fucking good charity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It better be a charity with a low overhead+advertising cost! Anything above 25% of total overhead+advertising cost is not efficient!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me, I won't just give all to one charity, I'd split it up between different charities, some will focus on reversing/defeating aging, some to help fix poverty, some for justice related causes like Wolfpac etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I'm WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too greedy to do that. I already told my grandma if she wins the lotto I'm taking everything and she'll be fucking lucky if I decide to share with her other kids. And by share I mean buy them a house. Not like let them live in luxury.
    This doesn't sound like a creepy living situation at all.......

Did you tell that to her during her bath last night?
    I would love to have nice things in game but the game is just too hard for me to earn them in.

Don't worry friend, let us go to the Blizzard store!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArchon View Post
    Your in the wrong because ... you haven't been smart

10+ Year Old Account
    Frankly, after about a million I don't know what I'd do with the rest. *shrug*
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Good guy. Better than using it yourself. And it sounds like he had money anyway.