Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Is my dream game unrealistic?

Hey guys, I am wondering about this certain kind of game type I thought about.

Now my original idea of it was off of Star Wars, you and a few(or many) friends try to take out/control an enemy's battleship. At first you would start in an aerial fight in a ship, then you can either take out the ship by just shooting at it. Or you can get out of your ship and board the enemy's ship to take it out by using a auto-destruct function, or you can take the harder option(more risk more reward) to take control over the ship.

Has this game been done before with multiple people? Player vs Player? Now it does not need to be scifi but still the same play style.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a bit confused. Is this something you want to make/design, or a game you're looking for, or just "'something you'd like to see some day"
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I don't think it's unrealistic. All it needs is the developer support to get made.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like corsairs in space?
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't Republic Commando I think play a lot like that? You had an aerial battle, then you boarded the ship and worked your way through soldiers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Didn't Republic Commando I think play a lot like that? You had an aerial battle, then you boarded the ship and worked your way through soldiers.
    Iirc there was a mission on abandoned cruiser that was filled of deactivated droids, but there wasn't any aerial fights. Probably starwars battlefront 2?
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

You mean Battlefront?

Yep. Battlefront 2 had a game mode exactly like this. Well, as close as you're going to find.

10+ Year Old Account
    Battlefront 2 had this exact thing in its space battles except the control the enemy ship thing and that was a game from 2005, its not unrealistic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Iirc there was a mission on abandoned cruiser that was filled of deactivated droids, but there wasn't any aerial fights. Probably starwars battlefront 2?
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    You mean Battlefront?
    No, Battlefront was strictly a squad combat game. At least, I don't remember that happening anywhere in the game.

No, Battlefront was strictly a squad combat game. At least, I don't remember that happening anywhere in the game.
    I believe you have that backwards. Republic Commando was the squad game. Battlefront was the army on army battle game.

10+ Year Old Account
    in SW:BF2 was a mode, where you start on huge cruiser, take fighters/bombers/dropship, fly out and fight in space. You could land in enemy cruiser to destroy their ships and crew. And iirc, yu could just bomb the crap out of their cruiser

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    I believe you have that backwards. Republic Commando was the squad game. Battlefront was the army on army battle game.
    Well, both are kind of. Battlefront has its squad-style gameplay, though it's not really as pronounced as most games that do it. I guess I may be thinking of Battlefront 2, but every time I think of the game, I think of single map, all-out war, not the whole infiltration thing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks guys, Battlefront 2(Space Assault mode) does seem to match what I am thinking but the game is a little dated.

Would this kind of game interest you guys?

I guess I kind of had my hopes up when swtor and the new star wars game decided to not do this, it would make a awesome game.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Along with a lot of people here, Battlefront 2 is the first thing I thought of as well. Granted it was rather basic, and I think if you wanted to capitalize on the idea, you can make something a lot more epic. Such as a more full interior to the ship, more noticeable hull damage, and a sense of progression, maybe starting out with a rather small ship, but being able to commandeer other vessels and upgrade, maybe even making a fleet.

Ideas such as those have been circulated in some pirate games, such as "Sid Meier's: Pirates!" But it's still rather simple and single player only, and with more modern technology I think you can get a great game.

Battlefield 2142 had Titan mode which was pretty much that idea. Each side has a huge ship and you run around as infantry on the ground and can use missile batteries and such to try and take down the ship, or flying vehicles, and you could board the ship and fight through to the power core and overload it to blow the ship up.

Nothing unrealistic in that so far...

10+ Year Old Account
    UT200X have a map like that, can't remember the name of the map tho.
    In regione caecorum rex est luscus.
    -Desiderius Erasmus

Deleted
    You could always try to pitch the idea next time Cgsoicety (or someone else) has a challenge. This game for example; http://challenge.cgsociety.org/game/...969#cglightbox won some neat prizes in thier last challenge (Xeon workstation, Nvidea quadro k5000 graphiccard and alot of software). The prizes alone makes it worth the effort imo - but also a great platform where you can find a team and see if you can work together.

So, basically, there are games out there that are exactly what you're looking for, but old. You'll be pleased to hear DICE is remaking Starwars Battlefront, so you might have it, all new and shiny, in 2015. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wa...15_video_game)