Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Wow and IP ban issues.

Alot of people said that their accounts got banned because they were either using proxies or VPNs.
    so

1)How many of you faced this problem

2) What did you do after that

3) did you use VPN /proxy again , if yes why?

4) why do you even want to use a VPN anyways

I am more focused on the last question, why do people use VPN for world of warcraft? Does it really help reducing in-game ping ? because yes i have this high ping issue, i've read blogs where i got mixed views. So i want to ask you guys.

Edit 1:

Found some solutions and info regarding this problem
    Use Authenticatorhttps://eu.battle.net/support/en/art...content=121813

News: http://bit.ly/19UFLq0
    Last edited by moiz; 2013-12-23 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Found some solutions

To toss this into the mix here - I definitely recommend that accounts have an authenticator set up so that in case an account is locked down by us for appearing that it's being accessed exploitively, we can quickly and expediently verify that the account was secure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reasons for a VPN with WoW.
    1) Playing from work or school where the required ports are blocked.
    2) Playing from (for example) the US on EU servers.
    3) Cause the brain worms demand it?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Araxom View Post
    To toss this into the mix here - I definitely recommend that accounts have an authenticator set up so that in case an account is locked down by us for appearing that it's being accessed exploitively, we can quickly and expediently verify that the account was secure.
    so if we have an authenticator set either via physical or Mobile ( i guess mobile is a better option ) we can avoid that.

Araxom, i believe you are a Blizzard official ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post

Actually, that is why i was looking forward for a VPN.
    ports are blocked, and we can't access.

I was wondering what if we get a static ip for this, because mb dynamic ip makes thing more fishy. and hence result in account bans.

@Araxom, is that possible ?

I play from India so I use Battleping to reduce my latency. I've done so since 2007. My account was banned 2 weeks ago for "abuse of the economy"....I just sent in a Live Chat support request on their site and within 15 minutes my account was unbanned and the CS rep said that it was probably because of my using Battleping. But since this was the first time it happened in 6 years of its usage, I'm still using it. They'll unban it quickly if it's a wrong ban anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moiz View Post
    Araxom, i believe you are a Blizzard official ?
    Yep, Araxom is official (hence the blue Blizzard under his name :3)

Quote Originally Posted by Icebear View Post
    Yep, Araxom is official (hence the blue Blizzard under his name :3)
    My bad. Sorry Araxom.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshot View Post
    I play from India so I use Battleping to reduce my latency. I've done so since 2007. My account was banned 2 weeks ago for "abuse of the economy"....I just sent in a Live Chat support request on their site and within 15 minutes my account was unbanned and the CS rep said that it was probably because of my using Battleping. But since this was the first time it happened in 6 years of its usage, I'm still using it. They'll unban it quickly if it's a wrong ban anyway.
    i have not tried battleping, can you tell me the difference that you get with/without using it. I will give it a try too.

I got my acc banned 1 time, i suspect it had something to do with me using proxy to play Vindictus on US and then logged into wow without turning it off. (i know you can use programs to proxy only x application, but at the time didnt rly care about that). My acc got banned, i mailed blizzard with questions about how and why was it banned, within 24h of the mail the acc got unbanned and in game GM told me when i spoke to him, that it was mostly a measure from thier side to prevent any dmg to my account, because they go alerted of strange IP log in.

I didnt have auth at the time, have it now.

Also to add, i guess that if you have authenticator linked to your acc, things like strange ip login, shouldnt ring such a big alarm, since you acc is better protected and no matter the ip change, you still had to have auth to log in, while without auth it rly does look like someone is hacking your acc.
    Last edited by Itakas; 2013-12-19 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Itakas View Post
    I got my acc banned 1 time, i suspect it had something to do with me using proxy to play Vindictus on US and then logged into wow without turning it off. (i know you can use programs to proxy only x application, but at the time didnt rly care about that). My acc got banned, i mailed blizzard with questions about how and why was it banned, within 24h of the mail the acc got unbanned and in game GM told me when i spoke to him, that it was mostly a measure from thier side to prevent any dmg to my account, because they go alerted of strange IP log in.

I didnt have auth at the time, have it now.

Also to add, i guess that if you have authenticator linked to your acc, things like strange ip login, shouldnt ring such a big alarm, since you acc is better protected and no matter the ip change, you still had to have auth to log in, while without auth it rly does look like someone is hacking your acc.
    After reading comments, i think, it is not that issue.
    Auth is a really nice tool because i've read on battle net forums, people faced this issue a lot. Some of them yes the were abusing some thing ( never confessed ) but some were banned via mistake.

Deleted
    Off topic - Whatttt? since when do actual Blizzard employees post on this forum?

so what i get from this topic is
    A) static ip
    B) use Auth

i was searching for this matter on other blogs as well, i came up with this. http://bit.ly/19UFLq0 ( got it from twitter actually )
    I would like you guys to check it out as well. I am not sure with WOW , so if they can do, i will start video blogging for other games as well.
    Last edited by moiz; 2013-12-19 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Imhere View Post
    Off topic - Whatttt? since when do actual Blizzard employees post on this forum?
    There are others, too, in the past. They didn't have the blizzard tag in the past though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You don't avoid it, you just get through the process of having your account reactivated more efficiently.
    In short its for our own account safety , ( and yes to avoid game hacks too )

i have not tried battleping, can you tell me the difference that you get with/without using it. I will give it a try too.
    Well, the routing to the game's servers depends on which ISP you're using of course, but without Battleping my latency is around 350-400 and can even go as high as 500-600. With Battleping, my latency is around 170. I've also tried Lowerping, ReduceTheLag and WTFast, but I've stayed with Battleping because of the lower prices for a similar service. All in all, without Battleping I don't think I'd enjoy WoW or any other MMO as much as I could.

I use a VPN often from school. WoW is blocked here. I also travel a lot and bring my laptop everywhere to play WoW on it. Never been locked. Use authneticator and ull be fine

Deleted
    dude stop pretending to be a blizzard employee you aint shit prolly some lil 12 yr old troll

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-12-20 at 03:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by warcraftmew View Post
    dude stop pretending to be a blizzard employee you aint shit prolly some lil 12 yr old troll
    At least try to be a better troll if you want to be a worthless troll. This is just lazy.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-12-20 at 03:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    1) DO WHAT YOU ARE AT SCHOOL FOR
    2) PLAY FROM THE SERVER YOU ARE INTENDED
    3) DON'T GIVE IN TO YOUR NEED TO ATTEMPT TO CIRCUMVENT THE SYSTEM

and you wont get banned. there is no reason to play from a vpn or use a dynamic IP other than to be dishonest or circumvent something.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    1) DO WHAT YOU ARE AT SCHOOL FOR
    2) PLAY FROM THE SERVER YOU ARE INTENDED
    3) DON'T GIVE IN TO YOUR NEED TO ATTEMPT TO CIRCUMVENT THE SYSTEM

and you wont get banned. there is no reason to play from a vpn or use a dynamic IP other than to be dishonest or circumvent something.
    Writing in caps doesn't make you more correct, it just makes you look demented. There are plenty of reasons to use a tunneling service to connect to WoW, and most of them aren't about being "dishonest" or to "circumvent something". Blizzard themselves are fine with people using tunneling services to connect to the servers, with the caveat that their automated systems can sometimes incorrectly ban you, but they'll fix it really quickly as has been mentioned in this thread already. So stop trying to think that anyone using a tunneling service is a criminal.

Alot of people said that their accounts got banned because they were either using proxies or VPNs.
    so

1)How many of you faced this problem

2) What did you do after that

3) did you use VPN /proxy again , if yes why?

4) why do you even want to use a VPN anyways

I am more focused on the last question, why do people use VPN for world of warcraft? Does it really help reducing in-game ping ? because yes i have this high ping issue, i've read blogs where i got mixed views. So i want to ask you guys.
    I used to live in Thailand so playing with a tunneling service (VPN) was almost mandatory to get the game to a playable level. I'll do my best to give you some personal insight:

1) I've never gotten banned for using a tunneling service (though I understand that Blizzard doesn't offer support for using one, though). I have, however, had my account locked a huge number of times because of the IPs switching.

2) N/A

3) Where I live now my latency to US servers is infinitely better, so I no longer need the server. Were I to live somewhere where latency would shoot above 200ms again, I would most probably use a tunneling service again.

4) Because it really does improve your latency. It all comes down to how your connection to Blizzard's servers is routed, something which is also largely determined by your ISP. In my case, it would look something like this:

Without VPN: 300-380ms
    With VPN: 200-220ms