Dropping JC for Enchanting.

So I've been thinking lately, since MoP most of the crafting proffessions are balanced (Engi is still ahead) and I have levelled JC just for the fact that
    it was "must have" back in Wrath. I'm currently sitting with Engi/JC but I have barely any recipes for JC.

The thing is though, I'm a lazy ass when it comes to proffessions and lately on my server prospecting for raw gems is not profitable.Also most cut gems are cheaper than raw gems.
    I was thinking that maybe Enchanting is better just for the mats you can create simply by doing dungeons/raids and getting gear upgrades?
    Is it worth it?

Personally I think JC is crap (I have it on my main and not a day goes by where I don't think about changing it), however bar engineering, they all give the same benefit so it depends what you're using it for (though I agree with you enchanting will be better).

I'm going to try stick it out till WoD, since they said they are making gem sockets a lot rarer (thus making the demand for gems lower), they also said they'd compensate JC's and I'm interested into what they had in mind. If it's crap, I'm going to reroll Engineering ^^

Engineering/Enchanting is actually the professions I'd prefer to have so I'd go for it!

Deleted
    Never really a fan of changing professions. I am a fan of choosing carefully.
    Notwithstanding it is server dependent enchanting has been prety poor this expansion because of the mats being uninspiring and interchangeable. Both JC and enchanting have good utility for the rest of your characters. You will be geting a free 90 in wod so use one of its slots for enchant. JC still has some life in it yet and we dont know until wod or significant blues closer to release.

Well back in Wrath it was a no brainer, unless you never minded being gimped. Never liked engineering nor JC but it's a forced choice tbh.

Deleted
    Well do it then if you dont like it. Have always found it useful and a big money maker. It wont make any money for you if you dont use it.

Yeah I think i'm doing it, enchanting seems a lot more "slack friendly" as you can just DE stuff for profit :P

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Enchanting is being gutted in WoD

Quote Originally Posted by Marthenil View Post
    So I've been thinking lately, since MoP most of the crafting proffessions are balanced (Engi is still ahead) and I have levelled JC just for the fact that
    it was "must have" back in Wrath. I'm currently sitting with Engi/JC but I have barely any recipes for JC.

The thing is though, I'm a lazy ass when it comes to proffessions and lately on my server prospecting for raw gems is not profitable.Also most cut gems are cheaper than raw gems.
    I was thinking that maybe Enchanting is better just for the mats you can create simply by doing dungeons/raids and getting gear upgrades?
    Is it worth it?
    I've not really been a big fan of JC this expansion. Don't really like the way they've done things with learning new cuts. Its all too random. Which would have been better if it actually dropped from mobs or something similar to the Heroic Boss drops in WTLK. I do agree this is random as well, but here you only get 1 cut a day which is simply ridiculous and then you don't even have a choice with that.

I always find Enchanting to be a very valuable raiding profession since you can disenchant all those extra gear you don't really need. Or even when questing in the new expansion since we all know how expensive enchanting mats are.

I ain't saying that JC isn't profitable its just a very annoying and frustrating profession this expansion.

JC's biggest advantage comes if your spec favours a secondary stat over a primary stat. Fury warriors and crit > str for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorm View Post
    JC's biggest advantage comes if your spec favours a secondary stat over a primary stat. Fury warriors and crit > str for example.
    I think you mean it the other way round.

You can gem either +320 Primary or +480 secondary.

The base gems for these are +160 for primary and +320 for secondary.

This means you can either increase your (let's say) intellect by 160 or your mastery by 160.

Now for most (if not all?) classes 1 primary stat is better than 1 secondary, secondary's only get gemmed if 1 primary isn't better than 2 secondary (since secondary gems have twice the amount of stats than primary gems do).

Because the JC secondary gem isn't +640 as it probably should be, you could technically say JC actually favours classes that gem primary stats.

Personally, I hope profession stat buffs go away in WoD

Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    I think you mean it the other way round.

You can gem either +320 Primary or +480 secondary.

The base gems for these are +160 for primary and +320 for secondary.

This means you can either increase your (let's say) intellect by 160 or your mastery by 160.

Now for most (if not all?) classes 1 primary stat is better than 1 secondary, secondary's only get gemmed if 1 primary isn't better than 2 secondary (since secondary gems have twice the amount of stats than primary gems do).

Because the JC secondary gem isn't +640 as it probably should be, you could technically say JC actually favours classes that gem primary stats.
    He probably means when you have a secondary worth double the primary - which happenend in the past with some classes, possibly happening now with a few.

If you just have a secondary > primary arrangement then BS is usually best.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    JC is far superior and if it is already high, I wouldn't recommend dropping it. The cost to level it up is crazy, unless you've got a lot of time!

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    JC is far superior and if it is already high, I wouldn't recommend dropping it. The cost to level it up is crazy, unless you've got a lot of time!
    JC is not "far superior" to engineering rofl, it's probably the worst profession for us at the moment (disregarding gathering professions).

Do it OP, I dropped JC with nearly all recipes a couple of days ago for engineering and haven't regretted it so far.
    Last edited by Anzen; 2014-01-28 at 08:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssateneth View Post
    Or just make them completely equal so you can choose whatever you like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well back in Wrath it was a no brainer, unless you never minded being gimped. Never liked engineering nor JC but it's a forced choice tbh.
    The cost of leveling enchanting and the pain in the ass that it is makes it so not worth it. You have to put so much into it for hardly any benefit. And, you'll make alot more gold with JC than enchanting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ssateneth View Post
    No. More homogenization is not needed. Taking more flavor out of an RPG is definitely not needed. The bonuses from professions are so small anyway. They're close.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I think i'm doing it, enchanting seems a lot more "slack friendly" as you can just DE stuff for profit :P
    There isn't a ton of profit in DE'ing things. Because you aren't getting gear rained down on you. I mean, how often are you going to DE things? Not that much. Some days more than others, but not that much.

Deleted
    You only need one char with JC anyways, so either put it on an alt or keep it.
    With Gems sockets being rare in WoD, prices might go up or down depending if all the JC's flooding the AH.

Still making your own gems is handy.

Profession bonus is pretty balanced for all prof's.

I personally love engineer and my 5th is coming when i get my free insta 90, having AH in Shrine, Nitro Boots and Goblin Glider makes life easier and running back after a wipe as a priest is faster than any class i know = time to get a drink.