Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Why so much hate for mumble?

So been in several groups so far that used mumble over vent and just because they didn't want to download it they just left the group. Personally I don't care either one mumble or vent, or even teamspeak, but why so much hate towards mumble, not like it takes too long to download and install anyways. They all have their pros and cons what about you guys?

mumble > vent in terms of latency, servers are also free i believe. i always like mumble more, skype is similar but people want to video chat and save your contact and often skype is a personal tool and getting interrupted talking to your aunt from "Johnny Awesome" to do arena is not very appealing.

teamspeak though is terrible and should be burned in an incan temple fire.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post

lol @ that, I haven't used TS in like years now so I couldn't say lol

My guild has been using TS for the past 5-6 years, never had any issues with it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    mumble > vent in terms of latency, servers are also free i believe. i always like mumble more, skype is similar but people want to video chat and save your contact and often skype is a personal tool and getting interrupted talking to your aunt from "Johnny Awesome" to do arena is not very appealing.

TS is actually better than mumble and vent.

mumble should be the software that gets burned for that terrible UI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Teamspeak used to be terrible but I've heard it's much better now. Mumble is superior to Vent in terms of performance, but the setup is a little more complicated than something like Vent since it has the audio wizard, and needing to register, etc. I don't think the settings UI is very intuitive either (not that vent is).

I think mostly what you're seeing is not a reaction to Mumble, but a reaction to needing to install or set up something they don't already have. People are lazy.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Raevene View Post
    My guild has been using TS for the past 5-6 years, never had any issues with it at all.
    they were my go-to linux thing back in the day but i just found better latency even with mangler (vent clone for linux) and even moreso with linux mumble.

Teamspeak used to be godawful, teamspeak3 however is amazing, mumble is just horrid vent is still the go-to choice imo

Most people have an issue with having to go and download it.
    Personally I don't use it because it sounds like crap and I find way too many people decide to use the non keybind options (activate as soon as sound is detected) which tends to turn it into a conversation of mouthbreathers very very quickly, especially if someone in the group of them does not use a headset (speaker echo is horrible). To make matters worse the default sound quality on both clients and servers is like 28kbps which if you know audio, is absolutely brutal, A tape deck is somewhere around 80-90 iirc. and CD audio is 320. (this is partially why its so much better on latency btw) Without an option like vent has to force all clients to transmit at say 96kbps there's no way to enforce good quality. It's better to just pay the 5$ a month or whatever it is for a vent server and never have to deal with that.

Vent is incredibly straight forward to use. It's features are simple and it doesn't take up much real estate, so for those reasons I think people like it. Though to me it really never mattered, just use whatever the guild/raid required.

I've never used teamspeak and have never really encountered a person or guild using it in all my time playing WoW so I have yet to even download it.

Mumble>Ventx100 tho. I can see why pugs hate mumble tho.
    Hi Sephurik

Quote Originally Posted by Mouri Kogorou View Post
    TS is actually better than mumble and vent.

mumble should be the software that gets burned for that terrible UI.
    Yeah, can't understand the hate for TS, I've watched videos of guild using vent or mumble and it always sounds terrible, whereas our TS is just fine.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what.”

I dunno I've always had problems with TS, maybe i'm just retarded, but I've always had better results with mumble and a distant second mangler/vent.

I'm not quite sure why but I seem to get a headache when using mumble for more than 15-20 minutes. I'd swear I can hear a really high frequency hum in the background whenever someone is talking over it, maybe that's the cause. Skype, Teamspeak, Vent, no problems there but mumble? Forget it.

we use mumble as a guild and its really not as hard to use as everyone make out. you run the audio wizard, and set everything up. if your to simple to figure out how to change the audio quality then...well i dont know what to say. we use it and have 0 problems. no one is ever too high, too low, no real echo chamber problems. sometimes people sound like they are in a tunnel but its usually a problem on their end (headset etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Seronalis View Post
    I'm not quite sure why but I seem to get a headache when using mumble for more than 15-20 minutes. I'd swear I can hear a really high frequency hum in the background whenever someone is talking over it, maybe that's the cause. Skype, Teamspeak, Vent, no problems there but mumble? Forget it.
    That's what happens when audio gets dumbed down to low bitrates. Try out these samples, the worst two should be pretty similar to what you're experiencing with mumble. http://www.fastserv.com/kb/article/m...n_and_samples/

Mumble is like the hipster version of Teamspeak, a tiny portion of the playerbase uses it - i tried it a few times and i got no idea why would anyone use it over TS.
    Free servers sound nice but i never ran into the issue of not having a server for Teamspeak - and Mumble is so underused compared to TS that it is a real pain to find "mumble folk".

Ventrillo is like... dead? I have not heard anyone even mention Ventrillo in the past 3 years, not even once across the 5+ different games i play in multiplayer.

Teamspeak is honestly a good working software, the only possible issue is hosting a server but that is piss easy - plus having complete control over your own server kicks ass.
    Lots of config options, it runs stable and fine (even better if your PC is not a software train-wreck).

At the end use whatever you find acceptable, but out of every 30 people i find using Teamspeak there is MAYBE 1 person using Mumble - so finding all those people that are wiling to download/instal/setup Mumble (instead of just using the immensely popular Teamspeak) is a pain...

Our guild has been using mumble just fine, I think the audio quality is just as good as with any software. However, there will always be fanboys, I think it all comes down to personal preference really.

I swear mumble is for people that just want to feel superior for not using vent. Every time I encounter mumble users they reinforce the fact how much better it is than vent.

10+ Year Old Account
    The last time I used TS was back in Vanilla, and I gotta say it wasn't the greatest. I upgraded to Vent when Minecraft came out, and it wasn't all that great either. I currently use Skype when I talk to my roommate while he's at work, but I don't use it for anything other than that. I think Skype itself would be too bloaty to use for something like guild raid runs or something, or if it's even possible to do such a thing? I've never even HEARD of Mumble before, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.