Page 1 of 6
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    What happened to being a good person?

    Personally, when I play WoW, I'm the type of player who helps out others. I find satisfaction in doing my part of making someone else's WoW experience more enjoyable. For example, if I'm not busy, and I see someone asking in public channels for a ride somewhere on a flying mount, I generally do it, because I know it's a huge help to someone for almost zero effort of my own.

    But what drives people to screw others over? Such as ganking, taking payment for things they actually have no intention of doing (ie, paying for a quick queue and takes the gold and run), not paying for services (such as running through instances), or just acting like a know-it-all egotistical jerk because you know more about a game than another person.

    Over the years, the community seems to have gotten worse and worse. I remember the days where adventuring together with other players was exciting and fun and sociable. Now it's just a game of who screws over who the first and the hardest.

    Just a thought, anyone else have any input? Maybe some good "fuck-over" stories? I'll leave mine:

    The other day, a player was asking in trade for an Ulduar 25 man carry for transmog gear. He particularly needed the tier shoulders off Yogg-Saron. He offered to pay upwards of 10k; 5k for the Yogg kill, 5k if the shoulders dropped. It was starting at Iron Council. I got two of my friends, took about an 60-90 minutes to do. Yogg dies, he takes his shoulders, drops group and is never to be heard from again. Douchebag thing to do in my opinion.

  2. #2
    Well, only the good die young and the game has been out for 10 years. Put 2 and 2 together and you've got math! So do it.

  3. #3
    Humans are naturally terrible creatures. It's depressing at times.

  4. #4
    in regards to your story, i usually charge a deposit fee (in your case, 2500 gold) just in case a person does try to f me over.

  5. #5
    It's mostly about that only strong survive. If you always expect others to be "fair" you end up loosing most of the time, so it's just basic human behavior not to be too fair.

  6. #6
    5k for the run upfront and you put loot on masterloot then exchange the shoulders for 5k.
    There is being nice, and being dumb. It happens to everyone but that's how you learn how to not make the same mistakes again.
    Doesn't change the fact that the guy is an asshole and that's exactly why there are less and less "good people" because when someone does that to you, the next time you will just not bother carrying Ulduar for anyone, just because that one guy was an asshole.

    Quote Originally Posted by Malenurse View Post
    It's mostly about that only strong survive. If you always expect others to be "fair" you end up loosing most of the time, so it's just basic human behavior not to be too fair.
    Thing is, if everyone was fair...well it would be easier for everyone. The guys playing by the rules of "only the strong survive" might make their life easier for some time but on the long run everybody loses. As you say it is human nature, and indeed it is human nature to be stupid.
    Last edited by M4D; 2013-12-19 at 03:40 AM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Neow View Post
    5k for the run upfront and you put loot on masterloot then exchange the shoulders for 5k.
    There is being nice, and being dumb. It happens to everyone but that's how you learn how to not make the same mistakes again.
    Doesn't change the fact that the guy is an asshole and that's exactly why there are less and less "good people" because when someone does that to you, the next time you will just not bother carrying Ulduar for anyone, just because that one guy was an asshole.
    He wouldn't give me leader. Which should've been a red light. However, I really don't need the gold. I have 476k. I just did it for the fragments (one dropped of yogg and he didn't even dish that out.) I literally just did it to see what would happen. I like to believe that people are naturally good, and wanted to see if he was going to be true to his words.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiferr View Post
    He wouldn't give me leader. Which should've been a red light. However, I really don't need the gold. I have 476k. I just did it for the fragments (one dropped of yogg and he didn't even dish that out.) I literally just did it to see what would happen. I like to believe that people are naturally good, and wanted to see if he was going to be true to his words.
    As for the gold part of it, 10k is way too much IMO, but then again if HE proposed that much then he's in the wrong if he doesn't give you the sum. The amount is not the core or the problem here, the way he behaved is. It would have been the same thing if he was offering 100g.
    As for not giving you the lead : YOU are the one in a position of power so this run should be on your terms, if he doesn't like it he may as well go do the wailing caverns - but I guess that if all this was a social experiment...well you saw what happened

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragashii View Post
    Well, only the good die young and the game has been out for 10 years. Put 2 and 2 together and you've got math! So do it.
    billy joel reference?

  10. #10
    I am Murloc! roahn the warlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In your base, killing your dudes
    Posts
    5,461
    It's still there. Just in older and mature players. Wow used to have a stigma about it, and generally only older-intellegent people played it. Hate to say it, but stupid people are usually ignorant. Ignorant people are assholes
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Malenurse View Post
    It's mostly about that only strong survive. If you always expect others to be "fair" you end up loosing most of the time, so it's just basic human behavior not to be too fair.
    Dropping group after getting an item you want in no way makes you a stronger person more capable of surviving. It makes you a dick, plain and simple.

    Sure, back in the day when fighting over food was an issue of importance, telling someone you'll give them something after they give you something might result in them dying and you living longer, but that's an extremely far way away from a piece of loot in a game.

  12. #12
    He proposed it. I agree it was way to much, but I mean, 5-10k for 1-2 hours of my time doing something that I would've done anyway for misc reasons (fragments)? Yes please.

  13. #13
    The answer to your question:
    Internet Anonymity. No presence = no threat of repercussion.

  14. #14
    The Lightbringer OzoAndIndi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    3,534
    Imo.. 1. Gaming as become too serious and sucked much of the fun aspect out of it. 2. Not to blame the youngsters (esp since some older ones aren't any better), but it just seems to me like there is a whole new crop of ridiculously self focused young players who were not there before... the percentage who seem to feel the world revolves around them, what they want is most important and the world/game world somehow owes them something.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Malenurse View Post
    It's mostly about that only strong survive. If you always expect others to be "fair" you end up loosing most of the time, so it's just basic human behavior not to be too fair.
    Nah, its empathy. Louis CK says it perfectly about how he won't allow his kids to have cellphones because if you're face to face with someone and screw them over you are forced to see their reaction, forced to feel their wrath, angry words etc. PLUS deal with your own feelings. If you do it without seeing a person, all you're left with is you going "Ha! I was mean" and you don't get to experience what it feels like to see what you did on someone's face.

    Sounds cliche but its perfect for what takes place in WoW.

  16. #16
    QQing about ganking? It's called PvP. Being a know it all? Tired of brainless people. The rest of your post is mostly just the fact that you are letting them get away with it. A chat log is easy proof and Blizzard will enforce it so do something.

  17. #17
    Herald of the Titans Mighty Blue Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiferr View Post
    Just a thought, anyone else have any input? Maybe some good "fuck-over" stories?
    I don't have many of those, but I helped a dude who recently hit 90 on his brand new UD Warlock fly out to the Timeless Isle after he forgot to grab the FP (we've all been there before).

    He kept asking me "How much?" and I was like "Nah, I wouldn't feel right taking it." and he's like "You sure??" (I know others would've salivated over free gold) but I told him "Nah, just consider it an early Christmas present. " and he was in awe.

    I mean, is niceness really that rare anymore? I know man's sinful ways are "me, me, mine, mine, me, mine, etc" but seriously... If people are speechless from my niceness, then SOMETHING is wrong!

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    QQing about ganking? It's called PvP. Being a know it all? Tired of brainless people. The rest of your post is mostly just the fact that you are letting them get away with it. A chat log is easy proof and Blizzard will enforce it so do something.
    I most certainly left an extremely detailed ticket about the situations. With exact times, names and locations. But it's an unsupported transaction, so what can they do?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Blue Bear View Post
    I don't have many of those, but I helped a dude who recently hit 90 on his brand new UD Warlock fly out to the Timeless Isle after he forgot to grab the FP (we've all been there before).

    He kept asking me "How much?" and I was like "Nah, I wouldn't feel right taking it." and he's like "You sure??" (I know others would've salivated over free gold) but I told him "Nah, just consider it an early Christmas present. " and he was in awe.

    I mean, is niceness really that rare anymore? I know man's sinful ways are "me, me, mine, mine, me, mine, etc" but seriously... If people are speechless from my niceness, then SOMETHING is wrong!
    Mah nigguh

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    Being a know it all? Tired of brainless people.
    Though I do mostly agree with you, the quote above is rather disturbing and delusionally assumptive. It reminds me of the Dunning–Kruger effect, and particularly, Alterac Valley whereas the majority of vocal players believe there exists only one way to win.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Donoph Baz View Post
    Humans are naturally terrible creatures. It's depressing at times.
    I'll bet you if everyone had to look each other in the eye in LFR they'd all be way nicer to each other.

    Anonymity and detatchment is the cause of a lot of human jerkiness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •