Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #81
    Brewmaster Constraint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,275
    If you haven't noticed morals dropping faster than the force of gravity in this day and age, you've been shutting your eyes pretty tightly. Sad? Yes. Unexpected? No.

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    The answer to your question:
    Internet Anonymity. No presence = no threat of repercussion.
    Until your identity is compromised. Then people can take real life actions...lol

  3. #83
    Epic! OneSent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dreamland
    Posts
    1,701
    Anonymity happened.

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiferr View Post
    The other day, a player was asking in trade for an Ulduar 25 man carry for transmog gear. He particularly needed the tier shoulders off Yogg-Saron. He offered to pay upwards of 10k; 5k for the Yogg kill, 5k if the shoulders dropped. It was starting at Iron Council. I got two of my friends, took about an 60-90 minutes to do. Yogg dies, he takes his shoulders, drops group and is never to be heard from again. Douchebag thing to do in my opinion.
    You do realize you could have A: reported him for scamming, which is exactly what he did, or B: master looted last boss and said "Pay up time!" before giving him anything, right?

    When it comes to people online, I expect the worst as a rule. People are assholes in general - add anonymity (therefore taking away most real accountability) and it gets exponentially worse.

  5. #85
    I once offered to help a Rogue kill the Boss for the "A change of command" quest, the one for the legendary questline. He didnt ask me to help, I just happened to be there farming rep and I just told him I can help. He gave me 5K gold after the kill saying he gives it because my action was kind and kindness must be rewarded. I always help others in game. Taunting mobs with my Tank, killing to help with my Mage or Healing players in need on my Priest.
    Helping people makes you a better person. It is easy to be an ass and screw people but in my opinion, helping people makes you a better person.

  6. #86
    The Lightbringer slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA PA
    Posts
    3,963
    My guess, OP, is because they can be dicks. There might be some rules ingame about botting and cursing/threatening others, but there is absolutely zero downside to being a dick, especially if it makes you richer. And they say video games don't reflect real life, I've never heard of a better comparison to how real life is.

  7. #87
    I am Murloc! Peaky Blinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Birmingham UK/Arizona US
    Posts
    5,671
    Welcome to the Human race

    The world has made me a untrusting, uncaring bastard but i still have a slither of a human soul left to still treat people with a little respect.

  8. #88
    welcome to internet -_-

  9. #89
    Do you want the ABSOLUTE TRUTH on this topic?

    The reason people are so much ruder, meaner and less caring is because....you perceive it that way. We have documentation on how much worse "today's youth" is from every century since the old Greeks (it was Plato who complained there if I remember it right). If this was correct we and we had degenerated for 3000+ years we would all be mass murderers, child molesters and terrorists today.

    We tend to remember yesterdays with several layers of rose tinted glasses on but in reality people are no worse in general now than they have ever been. If anything they are better at the moment due to better education and understanding of their fellow man.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiferr View Post
    Personally, when I play WoW, I'm the type of player who helps out others. I find satisfaction in doing my part of making someone else's WoW experience more enjoyable. For example, if I'm not busy, and I see someone asking in public channels for a ride somewhere on a flying mount, I generally do it, because I know it's a huge help to someone for almost zero effort of my own.

    But what drives people to screw others over? Such as ganking, taking payment for things they actually have no intention of doing (ie, paying for a quick queue and takes the gold and run), not paying for services (such as running through instances), or just acting like a know-it-all egotistical jerk because you know more about a game than another person.

    .
    There is nothing wrong with WoW. There is nothing wrong with humanity, there is nothing wrong with goodness. You let your perceptions dictate what you see.

    One or two bad people is NOT the general population, it's NOT. Goodness is everywhere, WoW players are good. We all have moods. What is bad is we live in a society that glorifies and exaggerates behavior, because that's what sells.

    Go on youtube look at what is trending right now, you see Snowden and NSA spying, and killing.. where is the good stuff? Like the girl that is due to die in the next 30 days due to cancer, and she got her last wish (most likely) for Christmas carolers.. all 10,000 of them (not a joke). The goodness stuff is boring, hum drum.. and sadly no one cares! that's the problem.. people LIKE to see train wrecks, bombing, murders, etc.. goodness doesn't make you rich.

    You don't see good stuff on the news, or twitter so why do we expect to see it in WoW? Goodness abounds, LOTS of good people on WoW, even the so called "trolls" have their days, maybe they are going through some stuff and choose a moment JUST when you see their chat to vent.. doesn't MEAN they are bad.. you ASSUME all this behavior is bad when it isn't.

    You want to believe it's bad.. so it's bad. Change your attitude.. if you believe its NOT bad guess what.. it's NOT bad!

    I have been on Wow since vanilla (sounds cliche, but I have my credit card statement history to prove it).. and I can tell you that balance of good people on this game is WAY higher than you give credit. I have seen it over the years, and it hasn't changed... the Trolls WILL get tired of being trolls.. you never get tired of being good (if that is your core being).

    Did you ever stop to think.. good people don't feel the need to make a mockery of themselves or voice an opinion, also notice that MOST people are quiet don't make comments. You see 20 people making remarks, and there are at least 5 to 10 thousand people playing at any given instant (even on "dead" servers).. so you are going to let 20 people represent the others?

    That makes you ignorant and naive. Don't assume.. you do NOT know everyone on WoW you are generalizing and it's completely wrong. The overall balance of WoW is good. If you believe otherwise its because you WANT to see the bad and succumb to the hype. People are people, but mostly good. It only takes 1 bomber to ruin hundreds of lives in an instant, so all of a sudden we have a "bad" society for the foul acts of one person????!?! PLEASE! Get real.

    You like to help people keep doing it, but don't let it cloud your judgement.

  11. #91
    Titan Nixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    ooo es eh
    Posts
    12,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Malenurse View Post
    It's mostly about that only strong survive. If you always expect others to be "fair" you end up loosing most of the time, so it's just basic human behavior not to be too fair.
    But that very behavior depends upon the majority playing by the rules...

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiferr View Post
    He wouldn't give me leader. Which should've been a red light. However, I really don't need the gold. I have 476k. I just did it for the fragments (one dropped of yogg and he didn't even dish that out.) I literally just did it to see what would happen. I like to believe that people are naturally good, and wanted to see if he was going to be true to his words.
    Yet here you are bitching about it. If you truly didn't need it you wouldn't be upset about it. If you were truly as nice of person who helps out players like you say you do, you would have offered to kill Yogg for him at no charge. I in no way agree with what the other player did but sometimes you're just as much to blame as they are. In this case being ignorant as to what could happen.

  13. #93
    The Lightbringer slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA PA
    Posts
    3,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    Yet here you are bitching about it. If you truly didn't need it you wouldn't be upset about it. If you were truly as nice of person who helps out players like you say you do, you would have offered to kill Yogg for him at no charge. I in no way agree with what the other player did but sometimes you're just as much to blame as they are. In this case being ignorant as to what could happen.
    Looks like this entire thread was a big pat on the back for himself and his good deeds, while the poor guy who had to offers thousands of gold just to get OP's attention at all is the bad guy when he runs off without paying, barely able to feed his virtual starving kids.

  14. #94
    Its just like when there is a war with two sides. Side A is doing the right thing and believes side B are the "bad" guys. Side B believes they are doing the "right" thing and believes side A is wrong. Do you see how perception is. There is a contrast and polarity to it. This of course describing a moral war which are the worst kind and end up being the most bloody. So "good" depends on "bad" to even have the idea that it exists. Hopefully when people realize this they don't have to wipe the other out, and this is an internal issue too. Hopefully we will allow ourselves to feel sad, because our insecurities with it are not allowing it, and it manifests to become something worse. Its the same idea.

  15. #95
    How does ganking fall in line with those other jerk moves you listed? Ganking is just killing your enemies, nothing wrong with it at all.

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Its just like when there is a war with two sides. Side A is doing the right thing and believes side B are the "bad" guys. Side B believes they are doing the "right" thing and believes side A is wrong. Do you see how perception is. There is a contrast and polarity to it. This of course describing a moral war which are the worst kind and end up being the most bloody. So "good" depends on "bad" to even have the idea that it exists. Hopefully when people realize this they don't have to wipe the other out, and this is an internal issue too. Hopefully we will allow ourselves to feel sad, because our insecurities with it are not allowing it, and it manifests to become something worse. Its the same idea.
    You mean like Alliance are the "good" guys and Horde are the "bad" guys? Like that? The other side always assume it's the other side that needs help.. what is interesting I see more "good" people pointing and labeling the "bad" guys.. when good people are SUPPOSED to be accepting.. now there is irony

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragashii View Post
    Well, only the good die young and the game has been out for 10 years. Put 2 and 2 together and you've got math! So do it.
    This. It is in our nature to sin and do wrong after all. Nothing will ever change that.

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    How does ganking fall in line with those other jerk moves you listed? Ganking is just killing your enemies, nothing wrong with it at all.
    I think he means lowbies.. it's accepted that ganking anyone like 10 more levels below you as "bad"... it's part of the game if you ask me.. nothing bad about it.. is it unfair.. only if you let it bother you.

    What I don't get is, if we have so many guilds why don't people simply ask for help from the guildies.. seems to me, those incidents would be less if people knew you had help. They do it to keep pestering people.. which is where the "bad" behavior comes in...

  19. #99
    I'm not sure how much it's changed, but it's always good to keep in mind that bad deeds are often remembered more than good ones.

  20. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    This. It is in our nature to sin and do wrong after all. Nothing will ever change that.
    Maybe on your planet. It's not in ANY nature to be good or bad, it's just behavior. What you perceive as bad is only in reference to what exactly?

    I steal, therefore to YOU I am bad. I steal FOOD because I am hungry, am I still bad? What if I told you I steal FOOD from a garbage bin.. ok NOW I am not bad, but there are companies that throw food away, but their intention is to destroy it, since a hungry person gets that food they are "stealing".. now who is bad?

    Certainly not the hungry person.. he just wants to eat, survival instincts win out over moral standards.. but he isn't bad OR good.. it's just behavior. YOU believe he is bad, so he is bad.. I choose to believe he is surviving.. he isn't being bad

    So who is right? Yeah good luck with that answer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •