[Movie] Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Plot summary from IMDb:
    "A growing nation of genetically evolved apes led by Caesar is threatened by a band of human survivors of the devastating virus unleashed a decade earlier. They reach a fragile peace, but it proves short-lived, as both sides are brought to the brink of a war that will determine who will emerge as Earth's dominant species."

Release: July 11th, 2014

Director: Matt Reeves (Let Me In, Cloverfield)
    Starring: Gary Oldman, Andy Serkis, Jason Clarke, Judy Greer

Surprised there's no thread on this yet. Trailer was released yesterday, can't tell a hell of a lot from it but based on the narration it looks like it takes place ~8-10 years after the events of Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Personally I'm kind of disappointed that James Franco isn't in this one, though according to interviews most of the characters that existed in the first movie are either missing or dead. So I suppose it's fine to move forward with it and Andy Serkis really stole the show in Rise with his great performance as Ceasar, and with him reprising the role I'm very hopeful for this to be as good if not better.

The director leaves me a bit skeptical as I wasn't overly fond of either of the previous movies he directed however we'll let time tell.

Gary Oldman makes up for James Franco leaving imo!

Really looking forward to this.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Rise of the planet of the apes was an awfull good movie. If this is half as good I will the very least enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caligulove View Post
    Few things I dont understand about this: few thousand smart apes.Okay,human population got screwed big time as well, but we are still able to use computers,chemical weapons,aircraft and guns for fucks sake.Apes dont have the kind of thumb we have so there is no chance they could operate them against us.
    Dont understand.
    I'm pretty sure the apes are going to be able to pick up guns in this one...Ceasar most definitely but I have a feeling it's going to happen at some point in the movie, probably not at the start. Didn't they have rifles in the original planet of the apes in some form?

Also the humans were killed off by the plague and then they fought each other. Killing themselves probably did the most damage BECAUSE of all those things you listed. You have to remember that the powergrids are probably shot now as well. I don't see aircraft as being what you think it will be.

All it takes is for the power grid to go down and humans would be completely screwed. It doesn't matter that we have airplanes, computers, and what ever else because none of those would be working.

The apes could just put explosives around our high tension power lines and we're done.

Few things I dont understand about this: few thousand smart apes.Okay,human population got screwed big time as well, but we are still able to use computers,chemical weapons,aircraft and guns for fucks sake.Apes dont have the kind of thumb we have so there is no chance they could operate them against us.
    Dont understand.
    I still think it's pretty retarded how trained police/swat/etc couldn't shoot at out in the open targets. Must've had Stormtrooper syndrome or something.

this trialer gave me goosebumps. This move is gonna be great!

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    I still think it's pretty retarded how trained police/swat/etc couldn't shoot at out in the open targets. Must've had Stormtrooper syndrome or something.
    I seem to remember a bunch getting killed...then the police got flanked. Not to mention the "open targets" pushed a bus basically right in front of the cops closing the gap.

Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    I seem to remember a bunch getting killed...then the police got flanked. Not to mention the "open targets" pushed a bus basically right in front of the cops closing the gap.
    I understand they wanted to show the primates having sudden intelligence but come on, you have to admit it's pretty retarded that like 100 monkeys won versus tons of guys with automatic weapons. How some magically learned tactics, etc.

Probably thinking into it too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    you have to admit it's pretty retarded that like 100 monkeys won versus tons of guys with automatic weapons.
    strategy will always win. they may have been few in number but they worked together as a team and won.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    strategy will always win. they may have been few in number but they worked together as a team and won.
    Course, that's another thing that annoys me. Monkeys suddenly gaining the massive intellect Caesar gained right away and suddenly knowing military tactics.

And lets not forget that Caesar is the only one (at least in Rise) who has that kind of intelligence-the rest are still somewhere around the chimp level of it, just a bit smarter.So the whole thing that somehow we,who created the flu and all the jazz,somehow lost it seems...well,wrong.
    I think you're wrong about that. Caesar gave them all the intelligence enhancer. He is just the leader because he had learned more by then.

Also it's freakin sci-fi. I don't see people complaining about how all these self-aware AI related movies are unrealistic when that's even more implausible.
    Last edited by matt4pack; 2013-12-22 at 07:18 PM.

Deleted
    Man this movie was so awesome. Planet of the Apes was my fave show as a kid. Had the action figures...the tree house and everything.