Poll: Should there be changes to voting age in the USA

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I know kids of 16 that are more mature then some people are at 40.
    So no, stupid idea.
    'Only exceptions would be military service', so mature enough to go fight in wars, but not mature enough to vote (or have a beer), please tell me I understood that wrong.

Deleted
    No. I thought the hot topics were giving 16 year olds the vote and prisoner voting.

Wtf is this. Yea lets take away the democratic voice from students and a fuck load of young people. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Meteoria View Post
    Age is not the barrier of maturity, you've proven that by thinking it is.
    Exactly this, age is no sign of wisdom, or lack thereof.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    No. I thought the hot topics were giving 16 year olds the vote and prisoner voting.

Wtf is this. Yea lets take away the democratic voice from students and a fuck load of young people. Nice.
    I don't really care about young people, they are for the most part idiots more concerned with rutting and drinking than actually learning about the world around them. Not every single one, I'm sure, but enough.

I find the disenfranchisement of the elderly more concerning. "Hey you, you've paid taxes and worked hard for decades, but because we think you might not vote the way we want you to, we're taking away your right to vote! Now hurry up and die so us edgy young people don't have to be inconvenienced by your existence!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Why would Military service make them exempt from this change?
    Black Sabbath answered that question 43 years ago. They've beat you to it.. As we see from it, not much has changed since...

Generals gathered in their masses
    Just like witches at black masses
    Evil minds that plot destruction
    Sorcerers of death's construction
    In the fields the bodies burning
    As the war machine keeps turning
    Death and hatred to mankind
    Poisoning their brainwashed minds
    Oh lord yeah!

Politicians hide themselves away
    They only started the war
    Why should they go out to fight?
    They leave that role to the poor

Time will tell on their power minds
    Making war just for fun
    Treating people just like pawns in chess
    Wait 'til their judgement day comes
    Yeah!

Lyrics excerpts - Song: War Pigs

Anyhow..... the OP is hilarious.....
    Essentially, you are legally old enough to do a whole catalog of things when you are 18+. but you are not old enough to vote until 24? Nice...
    On the contrary, you are apparently dumber than a slice of bread when you are 75? That's even better...
    That OP tempts me to vow for an IQ test and common knowledge test as requirement.. Something tells me, how the OP would badly struggle with passing it..
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    It really doesn't make any difference.

There are probably just as many misinformed 30-40-year-olds as there are 18-24-year-olds.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    No - of course the voting age range shouldn't be narrowed.

I agree most 18 year olds aren't particularly well informed or mature, but you won't see a much better picture 10 years later. In fact most voters in general only know the basics and what they've seen/read from their preferred news sources.

What's your logic behind military service exempting people from this by the way?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    I don't really care about young people, they are for the most part idiots more concerned with rutting and drinking than actually learning about the world around them. Not every single one, I'm sure, but enough.

I find the disenfranchisement of the elderly more concerning. "Hey you, you've paid taxes and worked hard for decades, but because we think you might not vote the way we want you to, we're taking away your right to vote! Now hurry up and die so us edgy young people don't have to be inconvenienced by your existence!"
    Fuck old people. With a growing population there will be more old voters, so major party's tend to pander to those old mother fuckers in order to get elected. They grey vote is very important (since old people have nothing to do except garden so they love voting). Then the younger generations get fucked out in budgets. Lets face it the last generation we owe anything too was the ww2 lot and they are almost done. Between that and now what have the generations done except fuck up the planet and economy. Old people can fuck off. They are like the Lib dems were at the last election, they had the most power because they could chose who to form a coalition with.

But yea they obviously should be allowed to vote as well. Even if I don't like them!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldred View Post
    No - of course the voting age range shouldn't be narrowed.

I agree most 18 year olds aren't particularly well informed or mature, but you won't see a much better picture 10 years later. In fact most voters in general only know the basics and what they've seen/read from their preferred news sources.

What's your logic behind military service exempting people from this by the way?
    How about adding driving cars to it?
    16 years of age, you are mature enough to steer a 1 ton+ machine through public traffic, in some cases even younger...
    But to cast a vote you suddenly aren't old enough at 21? LOL

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Uh, yeah. That's everyone in every age group. Don't try to be so exclusive. I'm 18, and I think I'm much more well versed on a lot of issues than other people (lots that are older than me, and lots that are younger than me).

Yes. I'll draw a lot of flak for this, considering what the prevailing demographics here are, but until you've seen anything other than Uni/High School, I don't think you should get to vote. Also worth noting is the fact that those age groups are generally also less mature, so there's that.

I'd be more tentative in passing that same ruling for 75+, though, but I can see why you'd suggest it.

I mean, ideally there would be an IQ/maturity test of some sort where you got to vote regardless of age if you passed it, but unless such a system is devised, it'd be in everyone's best interests to leave the voting to people who're more mature and have seen more of life.
    Last edited by Velaniz; 2013-12-19 at 01:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    In fact, I quite like it and I would consider it an abuse to inflict my child with a foreskin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    You don't appear to understand how it works...they don't stick it on when the baby is born.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Fuck old people. With a growing population there will be more old voters, so major party's tend to pander to those old mother fuckers in order to get elected. They grey vote is very important (since old people have nothing to do except garden so they love voting). Then the younger generations get fucked out in budgets. Lets face it the last generation we owe anything too was the ww2 lot and they are almost done. Between that and now what have the generations done except fuck up the planet and economy. Old people can fuck off. They are like the Lib dems were at the last election, they had the most power because they could chose who to form a coalition with.

But yea they obviously should be allowed to vote as well. Even if I don't like them!
    You should print that out, and keep it for the rest of your life...
    Read it once, every 10 years... I guarantee you, every 10 years you will find your own words a bit more idiotic, until one day you may consider yourself the greatest idiot alive, who managed once to embarrass himself in public.... lol

I'm assuming this comes from a US based poster....

If you shut off voting at 75 then 11% of your current Senators would be unable to vote.
    22 of your Senators are 70 or older,with a media. age of 62.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    How about adding driving cars to it?
    16 years of age, you are mature enough to steer a 1 ton+ machine through public traffic, in some cases even younger...
    But to cast a vote you suddenly aren't old enough at 21? LOL
    Yep. I'd agree with that. It's 17 to drive here, but you just have to look at the increased chance of an accident (and thus higher insurance premiums) for young drivers to see proof that they're generally more of a danger. In fact I'd argue that you can do more individual harm by driving badly than voting badly.

Although, legally at least, you can have sex at 16. So that can lead to yet more responsibilities that a lot of people aren't ready for. The list goes on!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonk View Post
    I'm assuming this comes from a US based poster....

If you shut off voting at 75 then 11% of your current Senators would be unable to vote.
    22 of your Senators are 70 or older,with a media. age of 62.
    That's how the World spins...
    Politicians around the World are 60+. A considered young politician is already in his/her late 40s/early 50s... There are very few exceptions to it, but usually in leading roles there are none. The US President is a shining example.... He is considered a young politician, yet he was born in 1961....

Deleted
    I wonder what the average age range is for Alex Jones listeners...

/Thread

Sure, woulden't mind it - Most people on my age group do seem to vote to left oriented parties, or maybe its just a sterotype..(Its not Im sure). So If im out off the voting race, atleast I'll take some with me.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Sure, woulden't mind it - Most people on my age group do seem to vote to left oriented parties, or maybe its just a sterotype..(Its not Im sure). So If im out off the voting race, atleast I'll take some with me.
    So because people don't vote the way you want them to, they shouldn't be able to vote? How grown up and reasonable of you, you're a great hope for the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldred View Post
    Yep. I'd agree with that. It's 17 to drive here, but you just have to look at the increased chance of an accident (and thus higher insurance premiums) for young drivers to see proof that they're generally more of a danger. In fact I'd argue that you can do more individual harm by driving badly than voting badly.

Although, legally at least, you can have sex at 16. So that can lead to yet more responsibilities that a lot of people aren't ready for. The list goes on!
    Exactly..... Said that earlier too... A whole catalog of things one can do at the cut off age stated in the OP... Voting is the least possible harm done in that regard.
    Besides. since the topic is voting in the USA.. Most young people don't vote at all.
    Both parties campaign heavily to gain the votes from the young generations. Gotta get them fellas to go out and vote, otherwise they are too busy with entertainment activities like partying, gaming, what not..
    Less than 50% eligible voters at the age group 18-24 have voted.
    In 2008 41.0% males, 47.7% females voted.. Which makes the group the one with the lowest participation of all age groups..

On the other end, the highest participating groups start at 65+ with 70%

10+ Year Old Account
    The proper solution would be to prevent stupid people from voting.

You should be able to pass a simple IQ test and correctly answer 40 out of 50 questions about candidates.

People should know exactly who they are voting for and what consequences it will bring to them and their country.

Atm people have absolutely no clue which candidate is going to do what, and the success of the candidate is just about how good his campaign was.
    Sometimes it's really hard to believe how someone THAT dumb managed to become a president. With all the consequences to the country and the world.

Sadly, elections are like LFR. They are for everyone, no matter how stupid you are.