Question about Nokia Lumia

I've never bought a smartphone before. I'm thinking of getting a Nokia Lumia. Looking at the various versions of the phone, it appears that the 2nd generation Lumias are all just running the same Windows 8 operating system. So is it true that they all have the same software, all get the same updates, and they're virtually identical except for hardware?

if so, and the software is the same, it seems that there's no reason to get the recent higher spec phones, since using a phone, browsing the internet, checking email, etc, doesn't require good hardware. Is this right?

Is this also true for other smartphones like Samsung and Apple?

Deleted
    You might see slight differences in the speed of things, especially some apps. Other than that it´s the same.

All I use my phone for is calling, browsing, email, some messaging apps and some random apps that don't require much from the phone. No way I would need to upgrade my phone every year or even 2 years.

I think 3/4th of the people that want that new Iphone every year don't need it. They just download some flashy new racing game or shooter and act like it is the shit . Meanwhile they use the same stuff as I do for 99% of the time.

My old smart phone was very bottom of the line from 3 years ago, and you noticed a difference in even opening the browser. These days however their processors are all up to a certain level and the actual network is the bottleneck on webbing.

Cool.

Can anyone confirm that patches and updates are the same and come at the same time too?