Is Blizzard under DDoS?

The weirdest thing just happened in a Battle for Gilneas battleground - everyone in our team experienced severe lag, we could not cast spells, could not mount, but we could still move and chat, and see the BG score updates. This state persisted until the end of battleground.

When the BG ended, the "Leave Battleground" button didn't work. After the BG timed out, the loading screen stalled, and I was eventually put on the character selection screen. The location of the character still shows as Battle for Gilneas. When I try to login, I'm stuck on the loading screen.

I tried to access Battle.net forums to see if there are other reports of a problem, but the forum is loading extremely slowly. Other websites, such as MMO-Champion, work OK.

Meanwhile, my wife is in a different WoW battleground, and at the moment seems to be having no issues. What is going on?

Server lag most likely. The server your battleground was hosted on, and the website servers may just be experiencing a lot of lag.

These kinds of things do happen, albeit less frequently these days. It's why you could still chat, but not cast or anything. (As for move, could you see other people moving, or just yourself? That ones a bit unusual.) Your chat is hosted on YOUR server, which may not have been experiencing the lag that the server with the battleground may have been getting hit with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If a building's about to collapse, you can debate whether it's better to demolish it or repair it, and you can make political-agenda arguments either way. Disputing gravity itself to claim it won't fall down is not a political position, it's just ignorance.

I'm beginning to think they are.

At first the lag showed up, Was horrible, Vanished, And just came back again.

Even the WoW website is giving me a "Problem loading page" error.

Either one hell of a DDOS attack or their servers REALLY fucked up

Quote Originally Posted by Malcor View Post
    Even the WoW website is giving me a "Problem loading page" error.
    Shockingly, the Website & Game Servers are not the same. Lag on one doesn't indicate anything for the other.

Either one hell of a DDOS attack or their servers REALLY fucked up
    A DDoS attack on Blizzard isn't impossible, but to have any real impact it'd need to be massive, and I mean massive!

Its possible for internet to have issues without being DDoS related.

Same thing happened to me about 25 minutes ago and I logged out, haven't logged back in to check.

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGaming View Post
    A DDoS attack on Blizzard isn't impossible, but to have any real impact it'd need to be massive, and I mean massive!
    I wouldn't say it's not possible to DDoS them, but it'd take so much effort to hit a company that large that the people doing it would have to be massively butthurt in order to want to do such a thing. So I'd still say it's unlikely.

But it could be a problem in the area WITH the servers. Like someone tripped and spilled coffee on a few. Who knows?
    If a building's about to collapse, you can debate whether it's better to demolish it or repair it, and you can make political-agenda arguments either way. Disputing gravity itself to claim it won't fall down is not a political position, it's just ignorance.

EU or US? On EU they added russan servers in battlegrounds so this could cause it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zergal View Post
    Its possible for internet to have issues without being DDoS related.
    That's true but in this modern day of "LEL IM A TROLLZORS" DDOS attacks are thrown around like crazy.

Big/Small websites
    Big/Small online games
    Popular streamers on Twitch.tv

etc and so on

That's true but in this modern day of "LEL IM A TROLLZORS" DDOS attacks are thrown around like crazy.

Big/Small websites
    Big/Small online games
    Popular streamers on Twitch.tv

etc and so on
    Any half decent sized game has some sort of DDoS prevention measures, to the point where you would need a couple dozen people all collectively trying to shut down their servers and nothing else with super computers if you wanted any chance of hitting them in any significant way.

Hence why it is unlikely.

Although there have been some general connection issues reported with various data centers that we communicate with, that's pretty typical and will happen from time to time. As a general note: we do offer our connection troubleshooting page. If the issue persists beyond the steps listed there, please give me a shout! I'll be happy to offer further advice. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Araxom View Post
    Although there have been some general connection issues reported with various data centers that we communicate with, that's pretty typical and will happen from time to time. As a general note: we do offer our connection troubleshooting page. If the issue persists beyond the steps listed there, please give me a shout! I'll be happy to offer further advice. Thanks
    Blizzard on MMOC. Scary. Good answer, we know it was the goblins tinkering with the internets again.