Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Titan Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    13,995
    Seems like I have to give LOTRO another go... My biggest issue with WOW is the community itself.

    Otherwise.. no criticism from me with that poll result.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

  2. #42
    The Lightbringer UnifiedDivide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,754
    I only got to level 30 before being mind-numbingly bored of GW2 so I don't think I can really give it fair criticism. Unless you want to count me abandoning it after just 30 levels as to why it may not have been amazing. But anyway...

    The one thing I will give it is it's overall aesthetics. The game is kinda gorgeous and as a fan of art, concept art for the game is amazing. MMO of the year though? Probably not. I'm not even sure what I would give MMO of 2013 to.

    Rarely updated...

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by evofa View Post
    i like the game and i disagree? what a concept, that you don't have to be a fanboy OR a hater. it isn't all black and white.
    For another point of view, I dislike the game and studio with the intensity of a thousand suns these days, but I would agree with the award. Guess we fucked that idea eh? Then again, I only agree because looking at the field of available MMOs today makes winning this award the equivalent of being the smartest kid on the short bus...

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    The one thing I will give it is it's overall aesthetics. The game is kinda gorgeous and as a fan of art, concept art for the game is amazing.
    I see this said a lot, but nothing about GW2 artistically stands out to me. Then again, I tend to not appreciate art without emotion. It could be because overall the game has failed to impress me as having any depth, so any given area kind of feels generic to me. I mean, a forest in GW2 is no different than a forest in Tera, or Rift, or WoW, it's just a forest. Maybe it has a few extra polygons, or higher resolution, or whatever, but at the core it's still just an uninspired forest. I actually probably have the least amount of 'landscape' screenshots of GW2 than I've taken in any game.

  5. #45
    The Lightbringer UnifiedDivide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I see this said a lot, but nothing about GW2 artistically stands out to me. Then again, I tend to not appreciate art without emotion. It could be because overall the game has failed to impress me as having any depth, so any given area kind of feels generic to me. I mean, a forest in GW2 is no different than a forest in Tera, or Rift, or WoW, it's just a forest. Maybe it has a few extra polygons, or higher resolution, or whatever, but at the core it's still just an uninspired forest. I actually probably have the least amount of 'landscape' screenshots of GW2 than I've taken in any game.
    Honestly, my praise for the art is mostly the concept art really. You're right that a forest in GW2 just looks like any other forest.
    I'm a fan of concept art in general though lol So if some concept stuff catches my eye, that tends to be what sticks out most. The game, while pretty, was kinda generic in a sense. Or at least the 30 levels of stuff I got to see anyway.

    Rarely updated...

  6. #46
    Pandaren Monk barackopala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chile, Viña del Mar
    Posts
    1,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I see this said a lot, but nothing about GW2 artistically stands out to me. Then again, I tend to not appreciate art without emotion. It could be because overall the game has failed to impress me as having any depth, so any given area kind of feels generic to me. I mean, a forest in GW2 is no different than a forest in Tera, or Rift, or WoW, it's just a forest. Maybe it has a few extra polygons, or higher resolution, or whatever, but at the core it's still just an uninspired forest. I actually probably have the least amount of 'landscape' screenshots of GW2 than I've taken in any game.
    I feel the same about the "common mmo locals" and I agree, but there are places like the bazaar of wind that made my jaw drop, it was a beautiful place that other mmo's have had a hard time reproducing (ragnarok online manage to do this too, and oh god that game was huge and had beautiful landscapes!)

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by starfoxmulder View Post
    In other words, the award is meaningless.
    Minecraft won some award, and the reward was that for a small fee you could use the "Winner of (Whateveraward) for 2013!" or whatnot, for a fee...

    Yeah, meaningless.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I see this said a lot, but nothing about GW2 artistically stands out to me. Then again, I tend to not appreciate art without emotion. It could be because overall the game has failed to impress me as having any depth, so any given area kind of feels generic to me. I mean, a forest in GW2 is no different than a forest in Tera, or Rift, or WoW, it's just a forest. Maybe it has a few extra polygons, or higher resolution, or whatever, but at the core it's still just an uninspired forest. I actually probably have the least amount of 'landscape' screenshots of GW2 than I've taken in any game.
    WoW had some fantastic (fantasy wise) views that were very impressive for me, but GW2 for me has much more immersive worlds that not only look great when "just a forest", but also have some amazing points of view.

    Now TOR, I don't think I ever took a screenshot of a background itself. My limited time in ESO, what a depressing land.

    I do think GW2 needs more weather though, all games need more weather.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by evofa View Post
    this is laughable at best, saying that you are impressed with living story
    I don't find living story to be that bad, I actually enjoy a lot of the things that have been released because of it. They have in my opinion improved upon their living story releases from when they first started doing it. I don't know if you played through the first living story release, but that release consisted of only a very small part where we searched for dead settlers and fixed road signs for the whole month, I think their pacing has greatly improved with their 2 week mini patch releases. It however still needs more improvements and they need to start putting more story into the releases instead of relying on short stories released on their website to fill in the story gaps.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    I don't find living story to be that bad, I actually enjoy a lot of the things that have been released because of it. They have in my opinion improved upon their living story releases from when they first started doing it. I don't know if you played through the first living story release, but that release consisted of only a very small part where we searched for dead settlers and fixed road signs for the whole month, I think their pacing has greatly improved with their 2 week mini patch releases. It however still needs more improvements and they need to start putting more story into the releases instead of relying on short stories released on their website to fill in the story gaps.
    2 week updates is too fast imo. I mean it's all great and dandy but the updates lack polish and sometimes depth. 1 month updates were fine except when they first started the living story there was fucking nothing to do - but now they remedied it but not because of 2 week updates.

    Needs to go back to 1 month updates.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

  10. #50
    PvE-wise I would give GW2 award as best single player game with elements of Co-Op.

  11. #51
    The Lightbringer Karizee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Eternal Alchemy
    Posts
    3,944
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    2 week updates is too fast imo. I mean it's all great and dandy but the updates lack polish and sometimes depth. 1 month updates were fine except when they first started the living story there was fucking nothing to do - but now they remedied it but not because of 2 week updates.

    Needs to go back to 1 month updates.
    I agree that 2 weeks feels pressured. I like that more updates (or in the case of permanent content, the window to complete the achievements) are available for a full month but the recent Fractured release window only allowed 2 weeks for players to complete the achievements. I think some players missed the cheeves as they were not aware of how difficulty scales are linked (for instance always starting with Mossman you will never see Urban Battlegrounds)
    Who knows more of gods than I? Horse gods and fire gods, gods made of gold with gemstone eyes, gods carved of cedar wood, gods chiseled into mountains, gods of empty air... I know them all.
    ~Euron "Crow's Eye" Greyjoy

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    WoW had some fantastic (fantasy wise) views that were very impressive for me, but GW2 for me has much more immersive worlds that not only look great when "just a forest", but also have some amazing points of view.
    Immersion for me is heavily based on lore. It was practically impossible not to feel immersed in WoW because there was so much story and history. Even in areas where it wasn't fully disclosed (like pre-goblin Azshara) you could only imagine what happened there. One thing that's missing from GW2 are those 'unexplained' areas, like a table and chairs in the middle of nowhere, or an abandoned boat on the beach, or an unoccupied homestead somewhere you can't imagine anyone would want to live. WoW is full of that stuff.

    The only place I've had that experience (sort of) was Orr, mostly because it was the only lore offered (through the personal story). Regardless, I actually got interested in the history of it. Unfortunately, that experience was irrevocably marred by the miserable design of the zones. Mob density, aggro radius, respawn rate, DEs that were impossible to solo, etc. led to me basically running for my life throughout all of Orr just trying to hit objectives without having many safe opportunities to look around and ponder anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    I don't find living story to be that bad, I actually enjoy a lot of the things that have been released because of it.
    The story itself is bad, really bad. The only remotely enjoyable things to come out of it (IMO) have been SAB, Bazaar of the Four Winds, and Queen's Pavilion. Basically, the fully fleshed out activities that the 'story' (such as it is) tries to revolve around.

    As far as I'm concerned, most LS updates exist as a means to grind achievement points. That's basically the only reason I 'participate' in most of them at all. (I got my 10k chest doing the Toxic Alliance nonsense, so yay.)

  13. #53
    Bloodsail Admiral Avada Kedavra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    MN - USA
    Posts
    1,152
    I would let the player base vote on whats best. Easiest way is with sub numbers. I thought that the numbers were bleak. i could be wrong. i tried GW2 - and it looks really nice, but it was meh all around. I would not give it best MMO of the year, but that just imo.


    I would say the award should go to WoW. Still the leader in MMO's and the one to beat, and imo GW2 has not done that. did i say imo enough - dont want people to mis-interpret my opinion as fact.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

  14. #54
    The story itself is bad, really bad.
    The story itself is bad because there is no plot yet which is coming next apparently. They just presented it in the wrong order - her goals and ideals should of been presented months ago and more depth of it come after but instead they are doing more depth first and her agenda last.

    If they fixed that the story is actually really fucking good. She is a crazy mary sue but that only gets old if people see that a lot.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

  15. #55
    I think im personally too addicted to WoW at this point. Since playing since beta, I have tried nearly every other MMO out there and none hold my interest for more than a few weeks. GW2 I played for about a month, trying various classes until I got bored. Same thing with Rift, Aeon, LOTRO, SWOTR ( which hurts the most because I love star wars) ... and I keep just coming back to WoW, because everything they do just fits what I expect a MMO to be at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by gookslammer View Post
    Throwing logic at a troll is like throwing bologna at a tank.

  16. #56
    I think I'm just going to wait for EQnext and Wildstar. Wildstar for raiding and EQnext for playing open world. ESO isn't appealing to me at the moment. The general consensus is that it's the most likely to flop. Also, their website is hideous compared to Wildstar's and EQnext's which I know doesn't necessarily mean anything, but if you cant develop a site and release good information then I have less hope for a game. Wildstar/EQnext have a ton more information available.

    And Guild Wars 2? That game turned me off faster then any other MMO I've ever played.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Immersion for me is heavily based on lore. It was practically impossible not to feel immersed in WoW because there was so much story and history. Even in areas where it wasn't fully disclosed (like pre-goblin Azshara) you could only imagine what happened there. One thing that's missing from GW2 are those 'unexplained' areas, like a table and chairs in the middle of nowhere, or an abandoned boat on the beach, or an unoccupied homestead somewhere you can't imagine anyone would want to live. WoW is full of that stuff.

    The only place I've had that experience (sort of) was Orr, mostly because it was the only lore offered (through the personal story). Regardless, I actually got interested in the history of it. Unfortunately, that experience was irrevocably marred by the miserable design of the zones. Mob density, aggro radius, respawn rate, DEs that were impossible to solo, etc. led to me basically running for my life throughout all of Orr just trying to hit objectives without having many safe opportunities to look around and ponder anything.



    The story itself is bad, really bad. The only remotely enjoyable things to come out of it (IMO) have been SAB, Bazaar of the Four Winds, and Queen's Pavilion. Basically, the fully fleshed out activities that the 'story' (such as it is) tries to revolve around.

    As far as I'm concerned, most LS updates exist as a means to grind achievement points. That's basically the only reason I 'participate' in most of them at all. (I got my 10k chest doing the Toxic Alliance nonsense, so yay.)
    I fully agree with your points on WoW, that's the major reason I even bother buying their expansions despite my dislike of their raiding endgame. I just find the lore so interesting and their zones interesting because of the lore that I have to at least play through some of it.

    I do disagree with the GW2 story being bad though, I quite enjoyed a lot of those short stories released on their website that tend to accompany the LS releases, but that's the problem it's a short story on their website not in game.

  18. #58
    Ten Ton Hammer's Best MMO of 2011 was SWTOR. Best MMO of 2009 was Aion. They didn't have a year end award in 2010 but they did have E3 award's and gave the Editor's choice to Tera. Ten Ton has some great taste.

    I hope GW2 has some sort of big update planned for 2014 to keep its head over water, or the niche population will become even more niche. I say this for all MMOs in the market today, but most seem prepared for the onslaught.
    Last edited by Sharuko; 2013-12-22 at 12:06 AM.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Immersion for me is heavily based on lore. It was practically impossible not to feel immersed in WoW because there was so much story and history. Even in areas where it wasn't fully disclosed (like pre-goblin Azshara) you could only imagine what happened there. One thing that's missing from GW2 are those 'unexplained' areas, like a table and chairs in the middle of nowhere, or an abandoned boat on the beach, or an unoccupied homestead somewhere you can't imagine anyone would want to live. WoW is full of that stuff.
    I liked the lore of WoW, until I just got tired of too many things where it became obvious that they didn't really have a great plan for it... The background is just made up in too many ways and the internal consistency is just dead by this point. The little spots you mention, some of them were neat little sidelines, but there's nothing to imagine for the most part. There's no story there, maybe some day they may take up a thread/ site, but there's nothing to discover at the moment.

    Plus, Cataclysm introduced so much more gag-reel stuff that it took a lot of the value out for me.

    Now, an issue with some of this in GW2 is that there's a POI/Skillpoint/Vista driving you to some of these little areas anyway, though that discussion has been hashed out many times on this forum. I'd put the little swamp huts north of Shadow Behemoth up against any similar area of WoW in feel. Definetly better than the old "click on frogs" "click on reeds" of Dustwallow.

    [quote]The only place I've had that experience (sort of) was Orr, mostly because it was the only lore offered (through the personal story). Regardless, I actually got interested in the history of it. Unfortunately, that experience was irrevocably marred by the miserable design of the zones. Mob density, aggro radius, respawn rate, DEs that were impossible to solo, etc. led to me basically running for my life throughout all of Orr just trying to hit objectives without having many safe opportunities to look around and ponder anything.


    Orr and Ascalon both have a good "destroyed ruins" vibe to them, though they differ in the specifics. I also have a fondness for Wayfarer/ Frostgorge in looks and such, though I despise Dredge and their areas and centaurs drive me away from too much of Kryta. Obviously it comes down to preference, though I think there's also an element of "exploring in WoW after doing my grinding" vs "exploring in GW2 is your grinding".

    The story itself is bad, really bad. The only remotely enjoyable things to come out of it (IMO) have been SAB, Bazaar of the Four Winds, and Queen's Pavilion. Basically, the fully fleshed out activities that the 'story' (such as it is) tries to revolve around.

    As far as I'm concerned, most LS updates exist as a means to grind achievement points. That's basically the only reason I 'participate' in most of them at all. (I got my 10k chest doing the Toxic Alliance nonsense, so yay.)
    I really think I've just come to have low expectations for MMO updates, really. The ones folks rave about in so many MMO's are just boring and tedious very quickly. Folks have some random notions of what work can/will be done. Two week updates= less time for polish... well, maybe, but that assumes that they actually COULD polish things better given more time, so I don't know.

  20. #60
    Brewmaster Buxton McGraff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Covina, California
    Posts
    1,462
    Sellouts.
    They've lost credibility with me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •