Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbait View Post
    I`d forgotten about the standard bg mounts, they were funky too, only was of getting cross mounts wasn`t it? My Undead mage always looked weird on a Kodo lol
    But I agree, something hard to obtain shouldn`t be made a cake walk further down the road, as it devalues the thing massively.
    Surprised they did that with Ashes mount, throwing it onto that trading/store or wtf it was. (long after I quit so don`t know the name)
    I recall the old honour system, I seemed lucky, could fill that 75k (think that was its cap) far too easily & end up with nothing to use it on.
    Yeah, the Ashes of Al'lar very rarely show up on the Black Market. You will need much patience and gold to even get a shot at it so it's still rare that way.

Quote Originally Posted by TequilaFlavor View Post
    Sorry, but they just lost every once of credibility they might have had right there.
    FFXIV wasn't that bad and it was the only truly new MMO I played this year. Unfortunately, it was just too much of a throwback to 10 years ago for me. I'm past the point of wanting to deal with 'forced' grouping and overall gameplay that hasn't advanced past the early 2000s. I liked the sidequest hunts (something every MMO should have) and the graphics were really nice. Not to mention -- OMG -- actual effort put into the storyline! That was a big deal to me after a year of GW2. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Guild Wars 2 dominating? They do realize that WoW is still a thing right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    One thing GW2 in particular has taught me is you cannot count on anything. I would not be in the least bit surprised if those old Halloween skins were reissued at some point, especially since Anet's already done exactly that with other supposedly retired skins.

Plus, an account having "value" is so subjective. It depends on how popular the game is, what the items are, how desirable those items are to other individuals, etc. Not to mention that selling accounts is usually against the TOS of any given game. Vanity items, in particular, are more like "NRFB" (never removed from box) toys. Most people would pay way more for them if they're not attached to someone else's characters. Most of the accounts I have seen sell for a lot (in any MMO) are ones with multiple high level, very well geared (BiS) characters. Maybe some do sell well based solely on rare vanity items, but I personally haven't seen it. Frankly, most accounts aren't valued for what they're really worth when you break it down to the amount of time spent on them.
    What's sad about that is the very well geared BIS character today is worth absolute shite 6 months from now when the next tier is released. No lasting or long-term value whatsoever

And I hear you about no guarantees on the exclusivity/rarity of an item, although so far tradeable skins have not been re-released. But I am not suggesting in any way that anyone invest in those Halloween skins (even though I do think that some ppl would scream holy hell if they did release them again!)
    Last edited by Karizee; 2013-12-25 at 05:29 PM.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    What's sad about that is the very well geared BIS character today is worth absolute shite 6 months from now when the next tier is released. No lasting or long-term value whatsoever
    Or we could have someone with BiS today who has BiS 2 years later and no long term goals, that's just as sad. Ergo nothing is sad about different MMO styles of progression, lets not be disingenuous, they all have their own merits.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-12-25 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Or we could have someone with BiS today who has BiS 2 years later and no long term goals, that's just as sad. Ergo nothing is sad about different MMO styles of progression, lets not be disingenuous, they all have their own merits.
    Well said.

I think I enjoy the trend of offering long term character goals apart from gear or content gating in MMOs. I enjoy loot as much as the next person, but I admit that I enjoy content more. The old content gating mechanisms of 1st and 2nd era MMOs get a little tiresome if only for their ubiquity if nothing else.

It may be that 3rd era MMOs [GW2 being the most prominent of such] may expand the degree of content players can engage in without using play systems as restrictive and/or linear as the 2nd era MMOs.

Guild Wars 2 is so monstrously interesting to me from a design POV partly because of this new market.

Deleted
    The next tier in warcraft upon each expac was obviously higher, but as in all games, it`s not the be all & end all.
    I had a foolkin in arena gear that I hadn`t touched since WotLK (World of the Lorraine Kelly ;p) era, woke it from hibernation during mid Cata & ran bgs, did the obligatory duels with folk for funsies, despite being five levels lower (or was it ten higher in cata then worlk?) & most folk used to cackle when they inspected my gear.
    Yet I rarely ever lost duels & often did stupidly well in bgs.
    As far as I know it`s still in level 80 gear
    Difference between warcraft & gw2, is that arenanet said that there would never be a gear grind, that there would never be higher then exotics, that legendaries wouldn`t have higher stats & so on & so on. combine that with forcing players to craft when majority of folk can`t stand crafting (only thing I imagine more tedious is standing at the AH for hours on end).

Also, how many years is it between each warcraft expac before you even have to care about new gear?

Don`t forget, chances are anet will add more infusions sooner or later, if not yet more gear...

Deleted
    god, people have to understand that best mmo of 2013 does not mean best mmo of all times and it's not based on facts or datum

Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    I mean, do the awards automatically disqualify WoW since everyone knows how much of a powerhouse it is?
    I assume it's measuring some criteria for 2013 content, which would be patch 5.2 and up for WoW, and Living Story and such for GW2. It's also easy enough to assume that the people that contributed to the award may have burned out on WoW some time in the past, or perhaps smashed there way through Mists and got bored.

It's also entirely possible that they simply think GW2 is a superior game. You are free to disagree of course, but this isn't Wrath and the market has grown and changed a lot since the height of WoW. Many folks may not like WoW anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, it's crazy what some people will pay for toys and games.
    Yeah, a friend of mine was trying to decide which statuette he wanted (settled on the $800 galactus I think), meanwhile he refuses to spend any extra money on GW2 since "it was sold as no additional fee".

Value for luxury goods is almost all perception based.

Now I've spent about 1/2 the RL cash on GW2 that I would have spent on a sub fee since launch. I've never needed to buy gems to convert to gold because gold is fairly easy to make. I have bought gems to show my support for the game and used those as well as ingame gold to buy vanity stuff.
    I originally figured, so long as the content continues to my satisfaction, I could allocate half of what I'd spend on a sub fee and still be doing fine. But, I bought the town clothes pirate outfit when it was on sale one time, and I dislike it to the point I emailed about returning it. I got the same form letter that I've gotten whenever I've emailed Anet. So I have no intention of ever spending $ on gems again.

But when it comes down to it, I think where people get concerned about the gem shop is not so much the gem or gold cost of skins, it's because of the cash to gold conversion.
    It's certainly possible, but I've never met someone that assigned gold value based on what the gold could get, gem wise. You can't convert gems to $, so that mitigates it.
    Not sure if I'm getting my point across, I may be rambling :P
    I think I understood you correctly, though maybe the reverse is true, people might look at the gem store items and see how much gold it costs and decide that the skins aren't worth 60+ gold or something.

When I got the ticket to buy Chiroptophobia for example, I ran to the vendor to grab it right away, like the kid with Wonka's golden ticket. I had no doubt that I'd use the skin, but if I hadn't, it would have been worth a good amount of gold at the time.

lets be honest here, MMO-c is mainly a WOW website and wow geeks ready to defend WOW at all costs. u cant have people choice awards for this types of games because most would choose WoW.
    and why is WoW "the best"? i have played almost all the big mmo's and i can honestly say WOW is the biggest crap out there, its just the biggest crap that u have been playing for the longest time and as u get older the ability to play mmo's gets..... killed. can you guys be honest with yourselves?

Wrath of the lich king:
    end game> kill 10 of these get 10 of that: argent tournament and such, and raids.
    Cataclysm:
    End game> kill 10 of these get 10 of that: firelands dailies, i dont even remember the name. and raids
    MoP:
    endgame> kill 10 of these get 10 of that: Vol'jin storyline daily, i dont even remember the name of that either. and raids

BUT WAIT there was some inovation at endgame..... Korean style grind in timeless isle!!!

thats your big shinny gem that you people call WoRld oF wArCraft, the best mmo ever.
    sheeps are sheeps and they will follow the carrot regardless. my guild/raid leader always says an mmo is fail regardless of facts or whatever just because its not named WoW.

now i don't know if GW2 deserves the title of mmo of the year, i havent reached maxed level at rift or Gw2 yet, but i can tell you right now, im not a fanboy and i can clearly state that world of warcraft is NOT the mmo of the year, it hasnt been since wrath. it wasnt in cataclysm and for sure it wasnt on the alt killing MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by Tietoso View Post
    snip
    yada yada i hate wow, doesn't matter if you do, it's still the best and most successful, it doesn't sound like you really like ANY mmo's if you play others but don't reach max level, mmo's are intended to reach max level and open up much more of the game, maybe you should comment on a genre you actually like and know something about?

Mario generally does the same thing in every game worlds 1-8 hidden world same shit everytime, still MASSIVELY successful and popular, repetitive doesn't mean bad.

Best Action RPG - Marvel Heroes
    This alone tells me their opinion is paid off. Marvel Heroes is the worst cash grab I've EVER seen...

So this award is for a group of games that doesn't include the best MMO of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
    This alone tells me their opinion is paid off. Marvel Heroes is the worst cash grab I've EVER seen...
    Actually it is pretty good now. It was obviously rushed at the start but it is pretty good now.

I think path of exile is better though, I think marvel heroes got the award solely on the IP.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by madyaks View Post
    So this award is for a group of games that doesn't include the best MMO of all time?
    Well UO is pretty old so that's probably why they didn't include it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tietoso View Post
    Snip
    Worst post of the thread.

You have just described PvE end game in every single MMO going (well not UO) and you use it to attack the most successful of them in a childish manner. WoW isn't the best MMO of 2013 because its near 10 years old not because of any of the drivel you spouted.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    yada yada i hate wow, doesn't matter if you do, it's still the best and most successful, it doesn't sound like you really like ANY mmo's if you play others but don't reach max level, mmo's are intended to reach max level and open up much more of the game, maybe you should comment on a genre you actually like and know something about?

Mario generally does the same thing in every game worlds 1-8 hidden world same shit everytime, still MASSIVELY successful and popular, repetitive doesn't mean bad.
    Worst post of the thread.

You have just described PvE end game in every single MMO going (well not UO) and you use it to attack the most successful of them in a childish manner. WoW isn't the best MMO of 2013 because its near 10 years old not because of any of the drivel you spouted.
    defense force in full force huh.
    to the socialhealer, i don't hate wow, criticism and fact checking are not hate its just telling it like it is. true fans would know this and zealots turn a blind eye to it. and i don't think all mmo's are the same thing as WoW i can name a few already that doesnt involve this.
    and about not reaching max levels on others, i play the game to enjoy it and right now im enjoying the experience not rushing towards max level.
    i only rush on my main in WoW for raids but i do mostly the same with my alts(finsihing all the quests and not rushing to 90)

and mario does the same thing?you better check yourself if u think Mario 64 mario sunshing and mario galaxy are the same thing. bad example from a fanboy obviously. the success of mario is his ability to stay fresh with (almost) each iteration of mario games. not like wow which is the same thing over and over.

draykorinee, dont try to use the "it has the most users so it must be the best" defense, justin beiber thats all im gonna say to that flimsy argument.
    you better come up with a better argument instead of just arguing with blind rage.
    or tell me draykorinee, is the endgame of wow not do dailies which only amount to kill x of this and collect y of that? huh? dont be a blind fan and accept that im talking facts.

10+ Year Old Account
    To terrible poster one above, i didn't say anything about it being the best because of it having the most players, i said you attack the most successful one, try again. not once did i say it was the best mmo in fact i said the opposite, what a fail post. so that's 2 terrible additions to this thread. Reading comprehension is not your strong point.

- - - Updated - - -

you
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Woah, woah, woah, hold up.

You mean MMOs often revolve around killing mobs and/or collecting stuff?!

Truly, I am flabbergasted.
    shocking isn't it.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-12-26 at 05:12 PM.

there are some mmos that steered away from combat but sadly they didn't have much popularity. Glitch was great but unfortunately it was shut down.

anyway, you can make mmos that don't revolve around killing mobs but seems really hard to gain a popular following

To terrible poster one above, i didn't say anything about it being the best because of it having the most players, i said you attack the most successful one, try again. not once did i say it was the best mmo in fact i said the opposite, what a fail post. so that's 2 terrible additions to this thread. Reading comprehension is not your strong point.

- - - Updated - - -

you

shocking isn't it.
    i didnt attack the most successful one, i laid down some facts about WoW. not a fail post if i'm stating facts.