Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Tenton Hammer names Guild Wars 2 best MMO of 2013

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/255265/page/8

The process of determining our Best MMO of 2013 really began many months ago. As each new game world came to life, we couldn't help but weigh its strengths and weaknesses against what we consider to be the best virtual world currently available to gamers.

As the year progressed, it became increasingly clear that one MMO continues to dominate the industry, and pave the way for even greater things to come. It encompasses the best of what MMO gaming has to offer across a broad spectrum; from gameplay, to community, to competitive play and beyond, the winner of our Best MMO of 2013 award is truly the best of the best.

When it came to selecting our Best MMO of 2013, there was little debate amongst our writing team. We all agreed that Guild Wars 2 remains the industry leader and is the one MMO that we all consider to be most worthy of our biggest award of the year. While the core game is still one of the best we've seen in recent years, the team at ArenaNet has continued to impress us and turn a lot of heads in the industry with its unprecedented series of Living Story updates.

Not only has the PvE in Guild Wars 2 continued to evolve throughout the year, but ArenaNet has left no stone unturned through a series of regular improvements and refinement to both competitive PvP and the massive World versus World system. It's for these reasons and many more that Guild Wars 2 was selected as our Best MMO of 2013, a title held by the game now for two consecutive years.

Other awards from Ten Ton Hammer for 2013:

Best MMOFPS - Planetside 2
    Best Action RPG - Marvel Heroes
    Best Expansion - Everquest Tears of Veeshan
    Best Community - The Lord of the Rings Online
    Best Reinvention - Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn
    Best Gameplay - Neverwinter
    Valar morghulis

They are, they simply aren't giving their honest opinion. The same thing happens with any other game.

I haven't trusted a gaming website's scores for years now.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    everything is a lie
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/12...f-2013-awards/

Massively gave GW2 the Best Expansion or Update (for Super Adventure Box)

Best Expansion or Update of 2013: Guild Wars 2's Super Adventure Box
    Runners-up: Tie between EVE Online's Odyssey, EVE Online's Rubicon, and Star Trek Online's
    Legacy of Romulus

Richie: Guild Wars 2's Super Adventure Box patch stands out in such a profound way because many players thought it was nothing more than an April Fools' Joke. The official website was updated with amazing images from an 8-bit world accompanied by a hilarious, cheesy, '80s-style commercial. When I logged into the game and realized that SAB was really in the game, my jaw hit my desk. There were three full levels of this 8-bit world complete with secrets, puzzles, boss battles, original music score, and custom sound effects -- a full platforming adventure game neatly tucked inside of my MMO.

Other 2013 Awards from Massively went to:

MMO of the Year - Final Fantasy XIV
    Best Pseudo-MMO - Path of Exile
    Most Underrated - Neverwinter
    Most Anticipated - Everquest Next
    Most Likely to Flop - Elder Scrolls Online
    Best Studio - Sony Online Entertainment
    Biggest Story - EQ Next's Reveal
    Biggest Disappointment - Dust 514
    Biggest Blunder - Traditional Sub Models
    Best Trend - Sandbox Stuff
    Most Improved - Final Fantasy XIV
    Valar morghulis

As the year progressed, it became increasingly clear that one MMO continues to dominate the industry, and pave the way for even greater things to come.
    I won't even try to hide my bias for WoW. I absolutely love it, so sometimes it's hard for me to read articles like this without letting my feels get in the way. I'm genuinely trying to understand, though, what exactly they mean by Guild Wars 2 "dominating" the industry. In what way are they dominating? Player base? Sales? And are they really "the industry leader"? If so, how? I'm just trying to look at this objectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It's just verbiage. There's a reason why you don't see any hard factual information tacked onto that.
    In other words, the award is meaningless.

best company - soe? oy, there CS sucks, and I couldn't even get their digital download off their own website because it was simply the most confusing process ever, had to purchase it off amazon instead. FFXIV was decent, but Neverwinter imo is a much better MMO from the 2013 crop. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

GW2 and WoW shouldn't even be in the same running. Apples and Oranges.

GW2 acts like a console game that happens to also be an MMO with bi-weekly DLCs. WoW is apologetically an MMO w/ an ever growing supply of vertical endgame. They both have their strengths and weaknesses based on what they are trying to do. Most of the other MMOs seem to be following in WoWs footsteps. Not sure if the OP calculated in SWTORs star fighter PvP yet (which is badass) but overall, if I'm forced to choose between GW2 and any other MMO, I still choose GW2.

I will also admit to being a filthy casual these days, so feel free to toss really clever insults at me in response to my honest opinion (but only clever ones, I have standards).

I loved it and played it for a year but lately there's nothing making me come back. I'm bored with WvW and the Fractal stuff isn't interesting to me. They need an expansion rather than all these little 2 week events.

10+ Year Old Account
    GW2 is alright and all, but that article has got to be a joke. Dominate? Yikes. All I know is GW2 can't even keep me entertained for more than an hour a month. In no way do I consider it the best mmo...but I can toss that up to preference. However, it's pretty laughable to say they are leading the industry in anything besides jumping puzzles.

this is laughable at best, saying that you are impressed with living story or the changes to competitive pvp, left me speechless.

- sPvP is a horrible joke, leaderboards still don't work, matchmaking is a disaster, 1.5 years of conquest maps, rewards are ostensibly being reworked for 2014.

- the sPvP community has completely collapsed. all the competitive players have moved on. vast majority of the top pvp'er have left.

- living story is shallow, and grindy. the writing is terrible, the personal story and the living story alike.

- WvW is a mindless zergfest, should be renamed WvDoor, 1.5 years later and still nothing to discourage zergs and put more focus on roaming and skirmishes.

don't get me wrong i still occasionally log on, play for 20 minutes, look at the pretty scenery and get bored. the game has incredible potential, and it's been squandered by poor development and direction, and a buisness model that i suspect can't pump out more content that they currently are. Jon let split in the spvp forum that the pvp crew consists of 3 people. changes are so bloody slow as a result, and the vast majority of people that i've spoken to in game/on gw2 forums, even the ones that really enjoy the game, deal with living story in this grudging, apathetic way, as if they wouldn't be doing it if they had any other alternative in the game they love. to praise a game that has so many glaring flaws, as the one that "dominates" the industry is not only fallacious but sets a mediocre standards for other games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by starfoxmulder View Post
    In other words, the award is meaningless.
    Pretty much all awards are meaningless.

I would say the game sets the current standard and trends in quality and features. GW2 is the current bulletin list of features you will want to have in a MMO to look current. As for the word dominate, it probably "dominates" playtime among the TenTonHammer staff.

So in summary, those who like the game tend to agree with this award and those who don't tend to disagree with this award.

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    So in summary, those who like the game tend to agree with this award and those who don't tend to disagree with this award.
    i like the game and i disagree? what a concept, that you don't have to be a fanboy OR a hater. it isn't all black and white.

10+ Year Old Account
    wut? marvel heroes an mmo?

um how exactly? from the few youtube vids i checked since this thread it looks like a typical lobby game

quote from a youtuber "f2p diablo with a big marvel skin slapped over it"

Quote Originally Posted by zed zebes View Post
    I would say the game sets the current standard and trends in quality and features. GW2 is the current bulletin list of features you will want to have in a MMO to look current. As for the word dominate, it probably "dominates" playtime among the TenTonHammer staff.
    I agree with this. There are a lot of things in GW2 that will be painful to not have in future MMOs, things like no tagging/shared loot, not having to group with people for events, client based harvesting, map teleportation, etc. I will admit those upgrades in quality of life that I've predominantly experienced in GW2 are going to be sorely missed, especially since for some reason the more recent MMOs seem to want to play the nostalgia card with "features" reminiscent of early 2000s MMOs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/12...f-2013-awards/

Most Likely to Flop - Elder Scrolls Online
    amen to that

Quote Originally Posted by evofa View Post
    i like the game and i disagree? what a concept, that you don't have to be a fanboy OR a hater. it isn't all black and white.
    Note the use of the word tend, though from where I sit, looks more like you don't like the game to me. You want to like it, but you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I agree with this. There are a lot of things in GW2 that will be painful to not have in future MMOs, things like no tagging/shared loot, not having to group with people for events, client based harvesting, map teleportation, etc. I will admit those upgrades in quality of life that I've predominantly experienced in GW2 are going to be sorely missed, especially since for some reason the more recent MMOs seem to want to play the nostalgia card with "features" reminiscent of early 2000s MMOs.
    Yeah, makes me think of Carbine's battle with its fans and beta testers over their mob tagging system.