Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I agree with this. There are a lot of things in GW2 that will be painful to not have in future MMOs, things like no tagging/shared loot, not having to group with people for events, client based harvesting, map teleportation, etc. I will admit those upgrades in quality of life that I've predominantly experienced in GW2 are going to be sorely missed, especially since for some reason the more recent MMOs seem to want to play the nostalgia card with "features" reminiscent of early 2000s MMOs.
    Very much agree too. I think of recent controversy about WoW's decision to not allow flying at all in the new content for WoD until after the first major content patch gets applied and a critique made, how it's less about the removal of the convenience of flying and more about how absolutely inconvenient the other systems in place are, i.e. the flight paths/ground mounts and use of Hearthstones.

For me the most backwards components remain first-tag and forced grouping. Those things are the most anti-social elements in an MMO, and are best left dead and buried for time immemorial. If you want to have organized group content, fine. But don't make it the only alternative to solo play in the game. Open-ended grouping is an awesome mechanic, much as some might decry it as 'no-skill zerging' and so on.

Hm. I feel like Guild Wars 2 was not really a 2013 MMO. I might be wrong because I am terrible with dates, but I feel like it was last year.

Maybe the editors are using "best of XX" to mean any current MMO. Which is fine, I suppose.

> Best MMO

> Not World of Warcraft

> lol

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-12-20 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zed zebes View Post
    Yeah, makes me think of Carbine's battle with its fans and beta testers over their mob tagging system.
    Yeah, I am really not looking forward to playing a new MMO that still has mob tagging. Speaking of...

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    Very much agree too. I think of recent controversy about WoW's decision to not allow flying at all in the new content for WoD until after the first major content patch gets applied and a critique made, how it's less about the removal of the convenience of flying and more about how absolutely inconvenient the other systems in place are, i.e. the flight paths/ground mounts and use of Hearthstones.
    I've only watched a few livestreams of Wildstar so far, but I saw flight paths and my first thought was, "Really?" I'm not wholly against flight paths, I think they're nice for seeing the landscape especially if flying doesn't exist otherwise, but instant travel should exist in some capacity, IMO. I remember when they removed Captain Eo & Placeholder from WoW and you had to sit and wait for those boats... ugh, biggest waste of time ever, completely pointless. When I want to wander about and appreciate the environment I will do so on my own time, but when I want to get somewhere ASAP to engage in an activity I don't want to be forced to take a 2+ minute 'time out' to go the scenic route.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Hm. I feel like Guild Wars 2 was not really a 2013 MMO. I might be wrong because I am terrible with dates, but I feel like it was last year.
    It was last year. August 2012. The game will be 1.5 years old next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

Maybe the editors are using "best of XX" to mean any current MMO. Which is fine, I suppose.
    I remember people talking about playing it before Mists of Pandaria came out, so the latter is probably correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Best MMO of 2013 >< Most of the spiel is pretty ridiculous, I have no idea how they base this dominating the market nonsense but who cares, vacuous award with an equally vacuous explanation.

Lets face it GW2 is pretty much the best of a mediocre uninspiring bunch.

The comments section speaks volumes to me :S
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-12-20 at 08:00 AM.

Deleted
    One simple offtopic question if I may.
    I haven't been in touch with the latest news, but why is elder scroll online most likely to flop?
    I've seen people say it for a while. I can't wait for it myself, is there something I don't know?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sub based games havent been doing too well, but I too don't see the issues that will make it flop, it is entering a saturated market but it has a strong IP, I'm sure others have more information as to why it's expected to flop more than others. The other issue is, when does an MMO flop? Some would say the likes of rift,swtor are flops while others say as long as its porfitable and maintained its a success :S

Deleted
    Yeh I mean the subs I knew about. I thought maybe there was something else.

10+ Year Old Account
    How many people have said, fuck it I'll buy GW2 its only X amount and I have no sub fees, I reckon you're talking a large amount, the opposite will always be true of sub games, that is probably the defining factor of why I wont touch TESO, not when I play wow anyway, plus I didn't enjoy Skryim (sacrilege!), game gets too bloated too early.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    How many people have said, fuck it I'll buy GW2 its only X amount and I have no sub fees, I reckon you're talking a large amount, the opposite will always be true of sub games, that is probably the defining factor of why I wont touch TESO, not when I play wow anyway, plus I didn't enjoy Skryim (sacrilege!), game gets too bloated too early.
    Oh you're absolutely right man. For me it's either wow or teso, I really don't know how they could come up with such a fucked up decision. I thought maybe there were some gameplay issues I didn't know about.
    And you're spot on on skyrim too. Too much too soon, it's a simple mistake in writing that I too see as a dealbreaker believe it or not. (If this is what you meant).

In regards to ESO, I personally was turned off by the description of the end game from a developer video. A lot of it sounded great, until that. So, I wrote it off, but I've sort of kept track of the megathread for it and it sounds like it might not be as bad as I thought. Meanwhile, Wildstar is sounding as bad (if not worse) in terms of end game and it was the one my bf and I were/are looking forward to most. Go figure.

The subscription thing remains to be seen. Considering I haven't played a subscription MMO since WoW that didn't go F2P I question the thought process there.

Please keep discussion on the specifics of other MMOs in their respective megathreads &/or sub forums.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-NDA-Sticky%29

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RAWRF View Post
    This just proves for a fact that if you make a game and slap the marvel name on it it will win. This game was absolutely fucking terrible. Worse trash I have EVER played, and that says a lot.
    the store prices are insane its 20bucks to BUY spiderman

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like I have to give LOTRO another go... My biggest issue with WOW is the community itself.

Otherwise.. no criticism from me with that poll result.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by evofa View Post
    i like the game and i disagree? what a concept, that you don't have to be a fanboy OR a hater. it isn't all black and white.
    For another point of view, I dislike the game and studio with the intensity of a thousand suns these days, but I would agree with the award. Guess we fucked that idea eh? Then again, I only agree because looking at the field of available MMOs today makes winning this award the equivalent of being the smartest kid on the short bus...

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    The one thing I will give it is it's overall aesthetics. The game is kinda gorgeous and as a fan of art, concept art for the game is amazing.
    I see this said a lot, but nothing about GW2 artistically stands out to me. Then again, I tend to not appreciate art without emotion. It could be because overall the game has failed to impress me as having any depth, so any given area kind of feels generic to me. I mean, a forest in GW2 is no different than a forest in Tera, or Rift, or WoW, it's just a forest. Maybe it has a few extra polygons, or higher resolution, or whatever, but at the core it's still just an uninspired forest. I actually probably have the least amount of 'landscape' screenshots of GW2 than I've taken in any game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see this said a lot, but nothing about GW2 artistically stands out to me. Then again, I tend to not appreciate art without emotion. It could be because overall the game has failed to impress me as having any depth, so any given area kind of feels generic to me. I mean, a forest in GW2 is no different than a forest in Tera, or Rift, or WoW, it's just a forest. Maybe it has a few extra polygons, or higher resolution, or whatever, but at the core it's still just an uninspired forest. I actually probably have the least amount of 'landscape' screenshots of GW2 than I've taken in any game.
    I feel the same about the "common mmo locals" and I agree, but there are places like the bazaar of wind that made my jaw drop, it was a beautiful place that other mmo's have had a hard time reproducing (ragnarok online manage to do this too, and oh god that game was huge and had beautiful landscapes!)

Quote Originally Posted by starfoxmulder View Post
    In other words, the award is meaningless.
    Minecraft won some award, and the reward was that for a small fee you could use the "Winner of (Whateveraward) for 2013!" or whatnot, for a fee...

Yeah, meaningless.

- - - Updated - - -

WoW had some fantastic (fantasy wise) views that were very impressive for me, but GW2 for me has much more immersive worlds that not only look great when "just a forest", but also have some amazing points of view.

Now TOR, I don't think I ever took a screenshot of a background itself. My limited time in ESO, what a depressing land.

I do think GW2 needs more weather though, all games need more weather.

Quote Originally Posted by evofa View Post
    this is laughable at best, saying that you are impressed with living story
    I don't find living story to be that bad, I actually enjoy a lot of the things that have been released because of it. They have in my opinion improved upon their living story releases from when they first started doing it. I don't know if you played through the first living story release, but that release consisted of only a very small part where we searched for dead settlers and fixed road signs for the whole month, I think their pacing has greatly improved with their 2 week mini patch releases. It however still needs more improvements and they need to start putting more story into the releases instead of relying on short stories released on their website to fill in the story gaps.