As a starter, I'd like to have you know that I, myself, am not certain if I like this idea of mine. I am still neutral about it because I don't know how big of an impact it can cause to the game but it sounds interesting to me and I'd like to hear your opinions and arguements. Please, don't flame at me, this is not a war. Also, just for this idea forget any restricions and requirements such as Blizzard's busy schedule, no developers to work on it. There should not be "X is better so I'd rather it happens instead." I highly doubt this idea will ever become a reality, therefore, the only thing we will discuss here is whether we like the idea or not. Whether it is possible, whether it will happen, whether something else is better - It's completely irrelevant here.
Do you think it is about time to have an item slots overhaul?
Merge Wrists and Hands slots
● Neither have a model.
● Wrists aren't even visible ( There are just a few gloves and bracers combinations that allow both to be seen ).
● This will allow for some visual improvements. If the new merged gloves ( let that be their name for now ) get a new model, it will no longer have to be necessarily gloves. Some sets may have gloves, some may have wrists, some may have fingerless gloves, some may have a mixture of gloves and bracers. ( Something similiar to Grommash's gloves in the WoD trailer ). Basically, you can have visible wrists with a model.
● We lose one item slot from the viewpoint of stats. There are various solutions such as changing the amount of stats other slots provide.Merge 1H weapons into one single slot just like 2H weapons and simply combine their stat values.
● Will make gearing for 1H weapon users easier.
● While indeed it does simplify ( "Dumbs down the game" guys, I hear you ) the game a bit, there are a lot of 2H weapons and that has never "dumbed down the game".
● Will allow Enchancement Shamans to use 2H weapons again. Will allow WW Monks to use 2H weapons more often.
● Some may argue that it will kill the 2 different one-handerrs fashion but a special option for that can be added to the transmog UI.You can now wield Shields along with a 2H weapon but your attack speed will greatly be reduced to even things out.
● A lot of people want it.
● Looks cool.
● Not gamebreaking at all.
● Supported by logic and common sense.
● Supported by movies and books.DiscussRelics ( librams, totems, idols ) return to the game with their own special slot and replace Off-hand Frills. Cannot be used with dual weapons ( even if merged into one slot ) but can now be used with 2H weapons such as Staves and Hammers ( maybe other weapons too ).
● Removes a stat-stick item slot ( Blizzard has already done it with melee weapons for hunters and ranged weapons for warriors/rogues ) which is completely unnecessary.
● Will satisfy A LOT of players. Staves/Hammers + Librams is a much desired feature by the majority of WoW's community.
● These relics will improve a certain ability or a set of abilities ( Decreases Fireball cast time/Increases slow duration of all frost spells ) OR it will give you new special abilities. These effects/bonuses will last as long as you wear the libram. They will not have an ilvl and will not count towards ilvl requirements ( LFR for example ). They will not give direct damage boosts in order to reduce cookie-cutter picks. They could last more than one expansion and still be usefull but will be rarer and require more effort to get the one you like/prefer the most or get one at all.
● All of the things mentioned above will improve gameplay and add diversity to the game and make each character unique in its own way.
● Blizzard is already adding permanent spell bonuses that you "unlock" as you level in WoD so my idea can't be that bad.