Deleted

mixed language battlegrounds, a good idea ?

Guys, i really want to know if you experience the same frustrations in bgs with all the mixed languages now? I only play pvp on a f2p account so i can only speak for the 20-24 brackets but this is really getting on my nerves. Its not that Spanish or Russian players are bad or rude but its simply impossible to communicate with them. In my experience, most spanish people are not able to type english or simply dont want to do it.

Have you found a solution to this problem besides learning Spanish or Russian? Its not about just learning a few spanish words like lumber mill or enemy flag flagcarrier ofcourse. Alt-tapping for translations is also no option for me.

I speak fluent Spanish as I live in Spain. I also played on Spanish servers for a while. You would be surprised how many Spanish players don't speak English whatsoever, tho none the less, use English gaming loan words, especially the WoW specific ones.

Whenever you say LM or ST or Farm, they understand it perfectly. Also a lot of the things have very similar sounding Spanish equivalents, such as Mage/Magos, Dreanei/Dreanei, Blood Elf/Elfo (Talking about the BG points here), tho the Fel Reaver is called Atracador Vil.

My point is that they most likely understand you and are able to communicate the minimum needed, simply they are uninterested in doing so.

This is a huge generalization based on a 4 months period playing on the Spanish servers, Sanguino, Dun Modr and C'Thun, but Spanish players tend to be extremely pricky and they also have tendency to hate on "Guiris" (foreigners).

THIS IS ONLY IN WOW THO! REAL LIFE THEY ARE NOTHING LIKE THIS.

I might take some flak for this tho.

Regarding the Russian players, well that is a whole different issue, there the language barrier is even bigger, as almost no one from EU servers can actually read Cyrillic, so even basic things like calling names becomes nearly impossible.

Deleted
    Whenever you say LM or ST or Farm, they understand it perfectly. Also a lot of the things have very similar sounding Spanish equivalents, such as Mage/Magos, Dreanei/Dreanei, Blood Elf/Elfo (Talking about the BG points here), tho the Fel Reaver is called Atracador Vil.
    Thanks but Blizzard posted some of the common words also on their forum but it isn't really that helpfull for me. If they say mina or establos if know what they mean ofcourse. I want to tell them things like for example "turn your back against the wall so the rogues cant use ambush".

Regarding the Russian players, well that is a whole different issue, there the language barrier is even bigger, as almost no one from EU servers can actually read Cyrillic, so even basic things like calling names becomes nearly impossible.
    I agree but in the brackets i play the impact of Russian players isnt that big, i only battled with a few of them. The impact of Spanish players is pretty big tho, normally 1/3 or sometimes half the raid speaks it, i get the impression.

It's awful, and it's not just limited to PVP. I deal with this in PVE especially in 5 mans leveling alts. It makes it almost impossible to communicate, even the simplest of ideas, like asking for a res, healthstones, or even a taunt. This is just anecdotal, so take it as such.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering the only 'communication' I ever witness is, "GOD, you guys are all fucking NOOBS!" and the like, I don't think the language barrier is all that important in random BGs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

People who play on NA servers probably don't get this too often, so it's not really a problem for us. I can see it being pretty awful for EU though, but I don't see blizz making any changes tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I speak fluent Spanish as I live in Spain. I also played on Spanish servers for a while. You would be surprised how many Spanish players don't speak English whatsoever, tho none the less, use English gaming loan words, especially the WoW specific ones.

My point is that they most likely understand you and are able to communicate the minimum needed, simply they are uninterested in doing so.

This is a huge generalization based on a 4 months period playing on the Spanish servers, Sanguino, Dun Modr and C'Thun, but Spanish players tend to be extremely pricky and they also have tendency to hate on "Guiris" (foreigners).

THIS IS ONLY IN WOW THO! REAL LIFE THEY ARE NOTHING LIKE THIS.

I might take some flak for this tho.

Being Spanish myself... what can I say, you're absolutely right. Knowing English (or rather, proper English) is something truly "exceptional", there're very few people willing to learn English, even though it is a mandatory subject in school between ages 8 and 18. Other foreign languages are no exception, either; but not in vain, we have one of the poorest educational systems in whole Europe. Forgives failure, slows progress, and in general promotes mediocrity. There have been several different educational systems in place during the last few decades, all of them generally bad, and the current "gaming generation" come from the worst of its incarnations, which, combined with tremendously lax discipline, resulted in considerable ignorance and lack of manners.

I really dislike having to generalize, moreso when talking about my own compatriots, but I truly am ashamed of the Spanish gaming community - which is why I've always played on an English international server. A decision that I have yet to regret.

With that in mind, and back to the topic at hand... It is impossible to communicate with those that aren't willing to. True enough, the language barrier is a massive problem - but even when such barrier isn't present, communication -"useful" communication, that is- in a random BG is still a rare ocurrence (as endersblade wisely pointed out )

Solution? None, actually. If you cannot communicate, just don't, it's not like it'd have any impact anyway. Besides, nobody likes the guy that keeps yelling orders all of the time (even if they're wise). So just do your thing, help with the objectives, and when in doubt, go with the zerg. You'll have plenty of time for advanced tactics and communication when you play with your own premade teams.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's absolutely garbage. I believe blizzard made it so that german and french players were seperated in like 5.1, but for some reason they re-introduced mixed language BGs and I absolutely fucking hate it simply because it makes communicating generally impossible. It's incredibly frustrating seeing people speak anything other than English in chat without being able to actually speaking English. I don't mind if people speak spanish or russian or french or german, as long as they actually communicate in english with the rest of the group.

Needless to say I really hate it.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    i laugh when brazilian players yell at me in Portuguese. but yes its just as annoying and really hurts the game overall. the same thing happens in random bgs and LFR.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Nope, they should learn english or move back to their third world caves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Considering the only 'communication' I ever witness is, "GOD, you guys are all fucking NOOBS!" and the like, I don't think the language barrier is all that important in random BGs.
    Yeah usually that's the case.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mixed BGs and mixed Instances have been and always will be a bad idea.

there is no russians on same side with EU players, but against them there is no problem
    but spanish ffs, this is frustrated, Cruelty/Crueldad battlegroup is screwed and filled with that shit coz there always 50/50 spanish/english speaking on alliance side and it's always a lose coz there is no communication