Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
12
13
... LastLast
  1. #201
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmer View Post
    For me, it doesn't matter.

    Whether the film is good or not (unlikely), is this something that needed to happen and is it the proper medium and time to tell this story? The answer is basically "no." The story takes place after WoD's time travel timeline, so there's no game tie-in. A 2-3 hour film will not cover as much detail as a 15+ hour RTS game or novels. And generally speaking, the transition is extremely shifty even if it does well to the point where certain things cannot be maintained. People flip a shit over the Shyamalan film for Avatar: The Last Airbender, and it was indeed awful - but it's a series that couldn't have been made into films due to the volume of side characters and subplots that need to get addressed. For the Warcraft movie, for example, prepare for lots of complaints about under-representation of everyone that is not a human or orc because of time and setting contraints.

    All this just makes me think that it shouldn't be made. Warcraft is being given a film with the sole intent of making money rather than to tell a compelling story. The movie was attempted in terms of greenlighting at the height of WoW's pop culture phenomenon status for the sole intent of making a cash-grab by the time it was released. Development hell will hinder their profits a bit, probably (though it'll still likely be successful), and whether it will be a "good" film is up in the air - but the chances of this being meaningful are essentially nil.

    It's just another marketing property to exploit by Hollywood in an increasing amount of higher numbered sequels and remakes.
    This is so much pretentious cynical drivel. If this was a cash in, the movie would have been produced and released around 2006 when WOW was actually at it's height in popularity and pop culture relevance in the United States. You are insulting so many artists and creators with your jaded generic pre manufactured mass produced opinion here, it's almost unfair that you get to enjoy the creations of anyone. There's a reason Blizzard has been sitting on this movie for almost a decade, they wanted to make sure this wasn't just another cash in. You are so wrong it's making the fabric of time and space bend a little. You're just a wrongy-McWrong pants and you're wrong, because you're wrong, and this citation proves it.

    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/wrong

    Now I'll just take off these "fanboy" glasses and go collect my royalty check from the PR department.

    - - - Updated - - -

    This movie is about Warcraft 1 for those who don't know. We will see the orc tribes unite in Draenor and invade Azeroth. Watch the panel if you actually care about more than bashing corporations and asserting your preconceived notions.

    http://youtu.be/D7XuOIQAB04
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

  2. #202
    Depends if the VFX is done in van or not, LOL.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

  3. #203
    The Lightbringer Mister K's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Under your desk
    Posts
    3,971
    Quote Originally Posted by Undies View Post
    Go watch Moon, then come back to this thread, and share your opinion. Duncan Jones is gunna kill it. (in the good sense)

    And lets see, i think Atlas Entertainment, Blizzard Entertainment, Legendary Pictures, and Universal Pictures as the production for this film have about 6.023 x 10 ^23 the budget of those horrible movies you mentioned. C'mon, its gotta be good.
    Edit:

    Yeah deffo, loved Moon and can't wait for this, probs gonna be in the top 10-20 best selling movies.
    Last edited by Mister K; 2013-12-21 at 11:12 PM.
    CASE: Coolermaster Cosmos 2 / MOBO: Asus Maximus Hero VI / CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.2Ghz 1.184v (delidded) / GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 780 3GB 1173MHz, 6589MHz, 1.2v / RAM: G.Skill Trident-X 16GB 2400Mhz / PSU: Corsair AX860 Platinum / BOOT: Samsung 840 256GB x2 Raid 0 /

  4. #204
    Dreadlord taximals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    913
    I reckon it'll be pretty corny, but i'll still go see in in cinemas. Most video game movies are like that.
    However if they do pull it off well and don't try and skip around things it could be a very good movie!

    ~ Armoury ~

  5. #205
    Legendary! Spl4sh3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    seeing as its noncanon lore wise. they have slightly more freedom to not fuck it up.
    This and I always feel that a seperate job is a seperate job. So I will judge games, movies, books, and series all on their own independant of other things. I could care less if they don't depict it the way I would have wanted (though of course that is a plus) as long as the overall thing is good

  6. #206
    Brewmaster Otaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Suomi Perkele!
    Posts
    1,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Think Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter live action movies.

    What do you think at this point?
    you cant make a good movie out of a fighter game like mortal kombat... it just doesnt work.

    Lotr is good... warcraft can easily be similar movie, which will end up good.

    People say Doom-movie was bad but i liked it... i know nothing about the doom story except the basic thing but the movie was solid scifi even if it didnt have this player character kinda guy who adventures through hell and survives easily...

  7. #207
    Video game movies have a bad track record. So I'm skeptical.

    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.
    [Pokemon Y Friend Code: 1521-3726-7197]

  8. #208
    Quote Originally Posted by Haajib View Post
    Previous game based movies have failed because they had either Nothing with the game to do, or To confusing for new audience.
    silent hill movie was loyal to the game and it didn't even get 30% on rotten tomatoes. I liked the movie but i think critics automatically give a "game movie" bad ratings just because it has become a tradition.

  9. #209
    Quote Originally Posted by Otaka View Post
    you cant make a good movie out of a fighter game like mortal kombat... it just doesnt work.

    Lotr is good... warcraft can easily be similar movie, which will end up good.

    People say Doom-movie was bad but i liked it... i know nothing about the doom story except the basic thing but the movie was solid scifi even if it didnt have this player character kinda guy who adventures through hell and survives easily...
    Mortal Kombat was actually perfect for a movie if they just went with the fucking story line out of the video game instead of trying to make a movie feel like a video game with video game moments that loosely used the plot and tried to mix it up with standard Hollywood plot devices. This 1993 commercial for MK2 is better than all of the movies and tv series ever made about Mortal Kombat according to me and a lot of other people

    http://youtu.be/GBhm8kMVMVc

    I feel because it used surreal style and a dreamlike quality to the cinematography and set design and it openly used magic without having to depend on real life explanations and weird aborted plot lines mutated to make some kind of edgy appeal to some demographic in the audience. It looks like it was made by Tarsem Singh or Zack Snyder almost, but it was actually made by an FX artist who worked on Return of the Jedi, Hellraiser 1-3, Candyman, Nightbreed, and many other classic staples in the horror genre. They used the actual mocap actors from the video game as well, funny enough. They didn't have to worry about dialog or a story however (or making Baraks's face able to move but we can ignore that).

    Video game movies always suck because they are basically made by boardroom executives looking to cash in on a franchise's popularity. Most of the people over 30 today don't know video games have stories, and in the 90s, most people making movies didn't even play video games.

    Now people are growing up who played video games, and they are changing this. The same way games are no longer being regarded as a toy for children.

    Don't be a victim of confirmation bias. Context matters. Video game movies suck because of specific reasons, not becomes video games intrinsically create bad movies due to a law of physics.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

  10. #210
    Quote Originally Posted by Otaka View Post
    People say Doom-movie was bad but i liked it... i know nothing about the doom story except the basic thing but the movie was solid scifi even if it didnt have this player character kinda guy who adventures through hell and survives easily...
    It's fine and all that you liked the piece shit known as Doom but the majority, the large majority, did not. A lot of people go to a movie and expect some story nice visuals and decent acting. Just because you're entertained with the absence of those three doesn't mean most people will be. Oh and just because Warcraft is fantasy don't compare it to LotR that's akin to saying that Avatar: The Last Airbender was good because The Karate Kid, the original not the shitty remake, was a good movie.

  11. #211
    Dreadlord Damsbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denmark, Copenhagen
    Posts
    899
    I really hope it's good. It has better potential than street fighter etc..
    And it seems like it's going alright, knock on wood
    I like juice

  12. #212
    DOOM could have been fantastic if they actually bothered to look at where the hell DOOM came from.

    Doom was a result of Carmack and ID's founders wondering what it would be like if you crossed the Evil Dead 2 with James Cameron's Aliens.
    But instead of using that inspiration, we get a 90 minute commercial for a movie. It almost was cool in so many ways, it was a shame. The Rock should never have been a part of it. Karl Urban was great, his first person sequence was fun, Stan Winston's FX were a lot of fun, but the movie had no soul and ignored the spirit of where Doom came from.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

  13. #213
    I'm more worried if the movie will mess up the game.

    The movie was going to be bad. Under the current setup, it will probably be worth watching.


    The real gripe is, will they Mario Brothers it. Aka- change a bunch of crap in order to appeal to "everyone", but in reality "everyone" doesn't care, but the core fans get fucked.

  14. #214
    The worst part might be that Warcraft and the new Star Wars movie will both be terrible. Then that will be a sad day indeed.

    I don't think that Blizzard would release the movie if it wasn't up to their standards. Also it will be delayed like everything else they do I'd imagine.

  15. #215
    by "really really bad", do you mean poor ratings and reviews? if so, maybe.

    but then again, in my opinion, people who judge movies purely on reviews from websites such as imdb or rottentomatoes are idiots.

    i've seen films rated lower than 5/10 on imdb which i think are good, just watch the movie yourself and then decide whether YOU personally think its bad, and if you do, just remember there is a high chance that theres someone else on the planet who thinks it is a good film, so whether its a good or bad film is purely subjective. don't trust reviews.

  16. #216
    Honestly I feel like it can be better than the Tolkien movies Ppl go crazy about them and I don't get it. Proper humans vs orcs movie ... I am ready to be amazed.

    My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

  17. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    The worst part might be that Warcraft and the new Star Wars movie will both be terrible. Then that will be a sad day indeed.

    I don't think that Blizzard would release the movie if it wasn't up to their standards. Also it will be delayed like everything else they do I'd imagine.
    They have already delayed it once. Originally it was going to come out same day as Star Wars, now it's March 11, 2016. I wouldn't be surprised to see it get delayed another 6 months on top of that.

  18. #218
    Quote Originally Posted by flinstone View Post
    silent hill movie was loyal to the game and it didn't even get 30% on rotten tomatoes. I liked the movie but i think critics automatically give a "game movie" bad ratings just because it has become a tradition.
    that movie was scary. i dont think it was as bad as <30% tho. the creepiest part is when they are in that school and all of a sudden this giant monster starts cutting through the wall with a sword.

  19. #219
    Herald of the Titans Eorayn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,957
    I have faith in Duncan Jones, whose two previous pictures were “Moon” and “Source Code”, two of the best, most inventive science-fiction films of the last decade.

  20. #220
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementalkin View Post
    It's going to be terrible.

    1. It's been in development hell, which is generally not a good sign.
    It's a total neutral. All that matters is the script, director, quality of actors, and the chemistry between director and actors. Unless the special effects fall flat, unlikely for a Legendary flik, it should be good. If the delay was to ensure all the elements were in place, then it will be good. If the delay was all a bunch of dithering, then it won't. We'll see. Plenty of all-time great movies took years to make. Most movies actually have quite a history, actually.

    2. It's live action, which means that it's not going to look or feel like Warcraft, no matter how well they imitate it.
    If the special effects for 47 Ronin are any indication, then I'm not worried. That movie seems to have blended live action and fantasy seemlessly (the shot of a woman waving her robe and becoming a "cloud serpent" like dragon was very well done). Thus between Avatar tech, WETA tech and various other new tools that have been developed in the last few years, the delay in development may actually have helped.

    3. The plot focus as revealed thus far doesn't seem very interesting or compelling.
    Any story is only as interesting as it is told. As well, all we really know is that we don't know much. That's good. The movie should be a bit of a surprise. By the time the movie is released, I don't want to have seen released artwork for scenes, I don't want to have seen the storyboards and tons of clips so that the movie is mostly connecting the dots. I'm glad it doesn't seem compelling at this point. That means that they haven't given away the movie. If it seemed compelling now, prior to shooting, then I would be concerned that too much of the movie was being disclosed in an effort to market the film.

    4. Video game adaptions never work. Based on what we've seen, at best it may become popular for superficial reasons like special effects, but I doubt even that.
    Never? Tomb Raider sure worked. There are actually a number of video game adaptations that have worked to varying degrees. So, that statement is provably and factually incorrect. Of course, you can doubt that the Warcraft movie will be successful and you will have those doubts in common with much of the Warcraft community. However, if the basis for those doubts is that "video game adaptions [sic] never work", then those doubts are baseless.

    I stand to be corrected, but everything I've seen and learned so far leads me to believe that it's only being done because enough people want a Warcraft movie, not because there is a need for one or that it's a good idea on its own.
    Well, let me help you out. A BAD Warcraft movie damages the Warcraft IP...badly. It harms the ability to retain or bring gamers to future Xpacs and/or to expand the IP with spinoffs and/or subsequent RPGs or MMOs based on the Warcraft IP. Thus, not only is there very large incentive NOT to make a bad movie, but tremendous pressure for Blizzard to ensure that it is a very good movie and not just a special effect movie that doesn't further Blizzard's reputation as storytellers.

    It's always possible that the folks trying to make this movie fail in their endeavor to create something special. However, the cynicism isn't as warranted as you think....and I'm hardly a pollyanna when it comes to Blizzard's dealings.
    Last edited by Mackeyser; 2013-12-21 at 11:41 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •