Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ...
5
13
14
15
16
17
LastLast
  1. #281
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmer View Post
    Because there's absolutely no way that they're trying to make a "quality" film in order to make a franchise to get return customers, right?

    Get a clue. I'm not saying they're going to make a shitty film, get money, and then run to the bank. Blizzard wants to earn trust in order to keep doing it and they've said as much. But the reality is that there's still certain inherent barriers in terms of the medium difference and you didn't address any of it.

    There's no doubt in my mind that Blizzard and Jones are going to do everything in their power to make a "good" film, in the sense that they're going to go through the checklist of what people feel is required for it ("the acting was good, the effects looked 'cool'") in the same way that AAA-game releases since roughly 2006 just generally go through the motions to deliver on what a generic boxed good consumer expects.

    But no one can explain to me for anything why they're making a Warcraft movie other than "because it would be cool." There is nothing the movie can do that an alternative medium the universe was built for can do better.

    Pretentious is just another fucking word for "values I don't share" half the time. This is one of them. If this is cynical, it's because big budget media has become cynical.
    No, you get a clue and free your chafing groin from those negative nancy pants. These people have passion for what they're doing. They didn't just think they had a clever way to portray the idea and pitch it to a studio executive who loved it so much he greenlit it. They've been sitting on this project for over 7 years, because they didn't have confidence in the previous incarnations of the project for one reason or another. You're just making blanket dismissals and making the problems seem intrinsic to the genre, which makes you pretentious in your matter of fact attitude. It's a bit more than values I don't share. You'll have to point out what those values are and where they're conflicting if you want to base your dismissal on that. Again, you're just another person ignoring context here.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Naztrak View Post
    Since they are allready shifting towards good humans vs bad orcs I feel like its gonna be such an empty experience like LOTR was.
    That's exactly what they are not doing. Did you even watch the panel? That's what Duncan Jones didn't like about the state of the project, he wanted to show there are heroes on both sides. Just like a movie about WW2 can show there are charismatic Nazis or Japanese who had issues with their conscience over what was being done in the name of their nation, we're going to see orcs in this movie who feel they're race has lost it's way in their demonic blood lust and for uniting and following Gul'dan. We will see heroes and villainous tyrants on both sides, but yes, the orcs are the invaders here. But as in real life, even people invading and subjugating another people or nation are more than shallow 2 dimensional bad guys. Like it or not, the orcs did invade Azeroth under demonic pacts, that doesn't make the orcs all monsters. But then again you're calling Tolkien an "empty experience", lol. Okie dokie then.

    They have actual human actors using Avatar quality motion capture and facial capture rigs to make these orcs empathetic and emotive. They aren't just going to be mean old Tolkien orcs.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Icathian View Post
    They should just make movies based in the lore..I mean, stories like arthas, illidan, the enslavement and liberation of the orcs etc are so rich that you CAN'T mess it up, at least story wise.

    This warcraft movie is exactly that, just a random made up story inside the warcraft universe. The people that will watch this movie will be either blizzard fans or people that got convinced by that fan to go watch it. But how can you do that with such a generic thing?


    "what is that movie about?" "oh uh, it's based in the warcraft universe, there's a war going on between humans and green-skinned people. Also elves." "eh.. is it a LOTR rip-off?"

    Also, as much as i hate to say it, there's no grade A actors, which sadly is something that sells the movie.


    We'll be able to judge better as the list of actors gets filled and when they have a sneakpeek of the movie.
    This is just just wrong. They told us at the panel they couldn't tell us what the movie was exactly about because of silly studio policy on PR, but they gave enough hints to show it's clearly based on major lore. They gave us enough hints to know what's happening here. Anduin Lothar? Durotan? Warcraft 1? Did you even watch the panel?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    I always found it amusing that a game that was notorious for the extreme blood, gore, violence, and murder, so extreme that they created the whole video game rating system mostly because of this game, and yet the movie had no blood, almost no death at all. I mean the closest thing to a proper fatality was the anonymous henchman that subzero shattered into pieces shortly after they arrived on the island. And that wasn't even a main character, just some random shirtless guy. The rest of the kills were horrible, and don't get me started on Goro's Star Trek-esque karate chop on the shoulder as his big finishing movie.
    Yes, they completely ignored the rivalry between Scorpion and Sub Zero and made them into glorified body guards. They basically took the lore of MK, put it in a jar, shook it up, and then tried to reinvent the wheel by doing what seemed "cool" to them. Sub Zero was trying to assassinate Shang Tsung. Scorpion came back from hell to take revenge on Sub Zero for killing him. Paul Anderson is a hack, and he completely made Alien vs Predator into a joke. The only halfway decent thing I've seen him touch was Event Horizon, and only because it had an interesting plot.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Dax75 View Post
    But at least warcraft has something going for it that mortal kombat didn't have and that is a real story, I mean mortal kombat was basiclyy beat people up and then at the end there is a small and this happened after fighter xy won the tournament.
    No, there was quite a bit of backstory behind Mortal Kombat, most of which was ignored or tweaked in bizarre Hollywood fashion for the movie. There was a comic book explaining the lore of MK1 and later MK2 created by the game makers art team you could order by mail directly from the address given on the arcade games, and then an entire series of comics was published in comic book shops. There was a story blurb ingame in the manual for each character and what they were doing there. Mortal Kombat should have been more like Bloodsport meets Hellraiser meets Big Trouble in Little China. What we got was a dated piece of 90s pop culture.
    Last edited by Yig; 2013-12-22 at 05:57 PM.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

  2. #282
    Dreadlord Fiana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    963
    It wont end up bad, but it would be an average 6/10 movie no one cares about. In best case.

    It had a great potential, blizzard cinematics always were top notch.

    But they are not rendering it, they are just taking random actors, dressing them like cosplayers and making them play in front of the camera.
    So in worst case... we can get 2 hours of cosplay stupidity.

    I hope they won't change lore too much for this movie...

  3. #283
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Mortal Kombat with Christopher Lambert and Street Fighter with Jean-Claude Van Dam were decent movies for their time.
    They were pop corn B movies just barely above straight to video. Street Fighter wasn't even that, it was a complete joke and everyone mocked it, just like Double Dragon the movie. Mortal Kombat was at least an attempt at making something better than Street Fighter's crap movie, but you had to have no knowledge of the actual lore behind Mortal Kombat to think it was a decent Mortal Kombat movie. That story was based on heated rivalries and transdimensional magic and demons, but they turned it into a glorified USA Network tv movie which was bred with a giant 90 minute music video, and it wasn't even a cool music video like Tarsem would have directed. The sequel just went straight to B movie video hell.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiana View Post
    It wont end up bad, but it would be an average 6/10 movie no one cares about. In best case.

    It had a great potential, blizzard cinematics always were top notch.

    But they are not rendering it, they are just taking random actors, dressing them like cosplayers and making them play in front of the camera.
    So in worst case... we can get 2 hours of cosplay stupidity.

    I hope they won't change lore too much for this movie...
    Because you say so? Yeah, Willow and Legend and the Lord of the Rings and Dragonslayer and Avatar and Star Wars were all just cosplay stupidity too I imagine.

    I would have loved a fully CGI animated movie, I think it's the natural niche for Warcraft, but if it has to be live action, this is pretty much the dream team one could assemble behind it. I'm just glad Sam Raimi with his overly sentimental sappy style is a million miles away from this project now. He should stick with Evil Dead movies.
    Last edited by Yig; 2013-12-22 at 06:36 PM.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

  4. #284
    Wait a minute.. is the movie being made based on the game or lore? Imo its pretty obvious that the movie will be a lot better if based on lore.

  5. #285
    Quote Originally Posted by MrApple View Post
    If it turns out to be as good as lotr ill be very pleased. Hell... even if it is half as good as lotr it will be a success.
    The movies are nothing alike beyond the most superficial of comparisons. This kind of rock, paper, scissors thinking is odd. Yeah, they're both epic fantasy, but this is basically something like Letters From Iwo Jima with a fantasy veneer. The integrity of the Lord of the Rings in it's realistic portrayal is a good thing to want to compare, but the stories and their pacing and their format is really nothing alike. Return of the King will sort of compare, but this isn't a story about pure evil against all that is good. This is a much more nuanced war movie.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

  6. #286
    I think mortal Kombat, and Street fighter are bad examples to use. for an example of BAD!

  7. #287
    Quote Originally Posted by Hb View Post
    Wait a minute.. is the movie being made based on the game or lore? Imo its pretty obvious that the movie will be a lot better if based on lore.
    The lore of Warcraft 1, which has plenty of room to be fleshed out.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

  8. #288
    Well, Blizzards cinematics are fucking amazing, so we can expect that kind of quality for the movie.

  9. #289
    I'm not positive about this movie. Simply based on the fact that I have yet to see a video game movie that doesn't suck.
    But of course I would be happy if they surprised me.

  10. #290
    Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    storywise it will be like lotr, peter jackson tweaked some bits in the movies
    duncan jones will do the same, but obv chris metzen will supervise it and make sure duncan doesn't wreck it

    the only thing i'm very afraid of is the cgi...many vieogame adapation movies have had very crappy cgi - too much fantasy and colors. I hope warcraft will have LOTR style magic - bordering 'realism.'
    and seeing as how bulky and 'non-human' orcs are, i hope they do their best to make warcraft orcs... warcraft orcs.


    the best thing i like the most is the two PoV's it will be focused on.
    ILM is in charge of the orcs, with veterans from Avatar working on the team as well. And the person who is overseeing and even participating actively in their designs? Glow Wei. Pretty much THE orc artist next to Samwise himself, while Samwise does more Don Bluth animation style, Wei realizes that style realistically with strong bold iconic poses and silhouettes with a perfect balance of detail and realism. And WOW is supposed to have the color palette of a crayola crayon box. They should not be changing the tone of the style for the movie into something it's never been.

    http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/gallery.php?artist=glowei



    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

  11. #291
    Stood in the Fire Obtuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    362
    It's going to be awesome. Go ahead and spread your hate while you can. This film is going to be more successful than anyone imagines.
    Obtuse and Obedient of Stormrage US

  12. #292
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterpewn View Post
    I'm not positive about this movie. Simply based on the fact that I have yet to see a video game movie that doesn't suck.
    But of course I would be happy if they surprised me.
    Stop to consider why it is video game movies have always sucked. They don't just intrinsically suck because of a universal constant in the laws of physics.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    It is definitely not going to be epic like lord of the rings which is what they are going for. Lotr is serious with a lot of depth and careful fantasy with moments of humour, while WoW and Blizzard in general are corny, superficial and simple as hell with lame puns making up 90% of it's humor.

    I don't think it will be bad, but I doubt it will blow many people's mind! especially non-gamers.
    Not at all. WOW is very unique in that it has two simultaneous realities of a sort existing at the same time. There is the deadly serious world of the lore we see in the novels and the cinematics that you are completely ignoring here, and that ignorance is almost criminal. Somebody call the opinion police.
    Then there is the beyond the 4th wall pop culture joke aspect of WOW you see in the gameplay, with cartoony exaggerated caricatures of the actual serious world of the lore.

    I know it can be hard to grasp that both can exist in tandem while not overlapping, but it's always been this way.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

  13. #293
    Brewmaster Bassch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cork, Ireland
    Posts
    1,303
    I reckon people will over hype the movie as it gets nearer to it's release and when more details get released, and then everybody will be dissapointed. I hope that's not the case though.

  14. #294
    Titan Kangodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    12,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterpewn View Post
    I'm not positive about this movie. Simply based on the fact that I have yet to see a video game movie that doesn't suck.
    But of course I would be happy if they surprised me.
    Like what movies?

    They are not trying to milk out Warcraft because it's a big hype now.
    They are bringing out a movie that is based on the lore from a franchise that is over 2 decades old and has more stories/lore than almost any other IP.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Try to boil everything down to a negative catch phrase all you want. We're still going to spend countless hours making Warlords of Draenor the most epic expansion possible.

  15. #295
    Quote Originally Posted by Icathian View Post
    That's probably Metzen's biggest inner desire.
    I love how Metzen practically invented every fucking character that is beloved in lore, but because he spent a little more time with one character than another he get's absolutely pigeon holed by you unreasonable and bitter lore junkies clinging to your own favorite underdogs like a Red Sox fan while you tout your little internet canards around.

    I don't love it, but that's passive aggression I guess. I should work on that.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

  16. #296
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Think Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter live action movies.

    What do you think at this point?
    I actually liked those movies and the super mario bros movie even if they weren't true to the games.

    Its too early to tell but my guts telling me it won't be as good as the hellboy films.

  17. #297
    Brewmaster Otaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Suomi Perkele!
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    It's fine and all that you liked the piece shit known as Doom but the majority, the large majority, did not. A lot of people go to a movie and expect some story nice visuals and decent acting. Just because you're entertained with the absence of those three doesn't mean most people will be. Oh and just because Warcraft is fantasy don't compare it to LotR that's akin to saying that Avatar: The Last Airbender was good because The Karate Kid, the original not the shitty remake, was a good movie.
    Obviously the large majority had played doom before.... do you remember how popular doom is? So their opinion is clouded by their knowledge of the universe.

    My knowledge also makes me hate many things in movies and games... but thats just how it goes.

    the doom movie demands a prequel to know why and how the scientists went to mars and how did they discover it...


    btw doom had nice visuals, some story and decent acting... thats what it was, you just said it, but it wasnt perfect or good... i never said it belongs in the good/perfect/best movie of the year-category, i just said i liked it... most certainly better than last airbender which only good thing was the occasional combat scenes.

    A movie doesnt have to rank top 5 in the world in your mind to make you like it... certainly not mine, i dont hate every movie that mainstream hates... i watch them and then say my opinions on them.
    Some people say that Matrix was a shitty movie trilogy... even after watching the reloaded in the cinema after i left the building i heard some kid say to his friend that it was bad. But they are reviewed very well in the mainstream.


    I like them all...just because i have open-mind doesnt mean i get entertained by movies like Atlantic Rim. (Honestly, go see it... its a shitty version of Pacific Rim)

  18. #298
    Pretty sure it will be the bright, spectacular visual and sound delicious for eyes and ears.
    Listen the orchestral music for WoW. Its epic and give goosebumps. Without any doubts the moviemakers called the same orchestra to make soundtrack for the movie. It will be on par with LotR music, im sure.
    For CGI and Visual Style as was stated on Blizzcon there will be the cooperation between ILM specialists and the guys from Blizzard Visual Team, who make the cinematics. So about style, colors and special-effect i dont worry. These guys know what they should do.
    Costumes made by the "Avatar"-designer, so im sure there will be not shitty cosplay style. More details(photos of actors in armor and with weapon) we will get in January when the production start.
    Actors are good for roles in fantasy movie. I dont want to see Robert D.Jr, another comic books or some melodramatic famous actors here.

    As for the story... Lets pray for Duncan Jones who rewrite the script for himself. But at least, the Blizzard approved this script, so i have a good feelings about this movie.

    p.s. And please, dont compare filming of the epic fantasy series with many places, events and win characters from famous company with filming of some average games, which consist of one/two characters who shoot monsters or people, save the queen or beat each other. Its really sound silly.
    Last edited by Harbour; 2013-12-22 at 07:39 PM.

  19. #299
    I'm not optimistic.

    Personally not fond of the modern treatment of classic franchises. Was looking forward to the Batmans from Legendary, but was let down. Have my hopes up for Godzilla, but as awesome the potential it has, I'm realistic I won't care for it either. Seems like they all the a "blockbuster" treatment that ultimately robs the character from the franchise - making movies to appeal to the masses rather than the fan base, but one ultimately pays better than the other. That is one reason why I do hope Chris Metzen is very hands-on behind the scenes - or at least someone to make sure the movie is true to the character of the franchise - something I think many film makers struggle with.

  20. #300
    It's a movie made after a video game. My feeling that it's going to suck ass is about as strong as my feeling that the sun will rise tomorrow.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •