Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...
    To me it sounds better every time they come out with new news about it. I'm just hoping they bring in a solid A-list actor, not necessarily because it's needed to be a good movie, but because it'll be a lot more commercially successful. And I still have faith they will, I'm thinking it probably takes longer to secure a contract with one of them and that's why none have been announced yet. Either way, I'm pretty sure I'll like it no matter what. It's kinda like when a movie come out for a book you like and you don't give a shit how bad it is you just want to experience it visually, although I guess that doesn't exactly apply the same way for a video game.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    supposedly its now about arthas instead of the 1st war because it might be too similar to lord of the rings. unsure if its true.

if its about the 1st war with lothar and durotan. i want it to be good.
    if it becomes about arthas i want it to fail badly.
    Hopefully that's just people grabbing old news and thinking it's new news.

They wouldn't have "announced" it at Blizzcon and showed concept art if it wasn't already decided.

In terms of success, we shall see but its entirely plausible that it will be a let down.
    Typically, the universe is as epic as it is because its expansive. There is no where you can't travel or read about, and very little left to the imagination. In a film, this will be 99 percent of the universe. We will only get to see exactly what they want us to see, so if its not handled properly it could really feel strange, especially to those who have played the game.

Examine this first:
    Last Airbender, Dragon Ball Z, Street Fighter.

Renowned series and concepts that operate extremely well in the median their universe typically exists in.
    As a film, broad examples encompassed by mediocrity or worse.

Then again we can examine:
    Batman, Ironman, Lord of the Rings.

Even grander in scope than former, but what we love about the universe is the same.
    As films, arguably more successful than their other formats.

Now, what is the difference here?
    I can't say for sure, but I would imagine the money put into the project and connection the cast and crew have with the locations and actions are what make the film good or bad.

Overall, I believe it will result in a move like Troy.
    The film combined a lot of big names, and a large budget to make a very well made film, but nothing people look back at as a major milestone in film.
    Films like the Batman series or the LOTR series are regarded in this light, but what sets them apart?

Only time will tell, but either way I will be seeing the film, if only because I have spent so much time in the universe its also sharing.

Duncan Jones + Legendary Pictures = yes please

now we just need nic cage as medivh

Moon was awesome so I have hopes for this based on the director alone.

I just hope they keep the WoW storytellers as far away as possible. I know they have to write with game mechanics in mind and might still be good if not held down by that but the whole having to cater to game mechanics has really hurt warcraft storytelling.

I currently have no reason to believe it will be good or will be bad, I am completely in different toward it. The thing is we know the lore has the potential for a great film, but that's about it. It could be good but this is the film that would not surprise me if it was 10 out of 10 or 2 out of 10 I think it would go either way.

I will say the director seems good

Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    All of those were low budget B movies
    Super Mario Bros. cost $48M to make in 1993. Adjusted for inflation, that's close to what they're budgeting for the Warcraft movie.

with B movie talent
    Bob Hoskins and Dennis Hopper are B movie actors?
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masser View Post
    It is completely impossible that the Warcraft movie will suck.
    +1 here. Blizzard movies are too bad ass. Impossible to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    supposedly its now about arthas instead of the 1st war because it might be too similar to lord of the rings. unsure if its true.

if its about the 1st war with lothar and durotan. i want it to be good.
    if it becomes about arthas i want it to fail badly.
    Well hello there 4 years ago. I agree with Genn, at worst it will be OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Super Mario Bros. cost $48M to make in 1993. Adjusted for inflation, that's close to what they're budgeting for the Warcraft movie.

Bob Hoskins and Dennis Hopper are B movie actors?
    Super Mario is one of several exceptions to the rule budget wise, but an exception does not make a norm. And it's obvious nobody had any fucking passion in the project, the source material, or the canon there who was making final decisions, (the history of the production is infamous) and nobody in the days before the Lord of the Rings and the newest generation of comic book movies ever gave a fuck about honoring the source material or the fans in that day and age. This is practically more than just a different century, it's a different era of filmmaking altogether. This is like using the original Fantastic Four or Captain America movie from the 80s to claim any movie based on a comic book today is going to be terrible, or the Incredible Hulk or Wonder Woman TV series from the early 80s.

If that's what you want to use as an example to base your cynicism on, be my guest. But you're just revealing what a low standard of evidence you're satisfied with and it's kind of sad to see people using such spurious analogies when there are better reasons with actual plausible legitimacy to be worried about this movie working out.
    Last edited by Yig; 2013-12-24 at 03:11 AM.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to - but after BlizzCon, seeing how seriously they've taken the project and the fact that they have a competent director attached to the project... They might just be able to pull this off.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    There's this concept called "fun." I know it's foreign to most of the people on this forum, but perhaps you should look into it; there's a school of thought that suggests it's integral to why people play games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackhammer99 View Post
    Examine this first:
    Last Airbender, Dragon Ball Z, Street Fighter.
    The Last Airbender could have been a fine movie. Nothing predisposed that film towards failure... until, that is, they handed it to Shamalamadingdong.

As for Street fighter (and Mortal Kombat)... It's a game about fighting. Not a game about moral decisions, or the overarching human condition... it's people beating one another up. The source material wasn't "rife with depth and complexity" to begin with. Hell, people often cite the Mario Movie as being a basis for how all Video Game movies should play out... what "base material" did they have to pull from, exactly? It's a game about stomping on the heads of turtles and smashing bricks to save a princess from a giant dragon-turtle. Same issue.

Warcraft has at least some source material and interesting characters to draw upon... I'm going to reserve my judgement until the film comes out. I don't have tremendously high hopes, but Duncan Jones... at least he's a competent director.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-12-24 at 03:25 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.