Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Potentially... I feel there is a greater chance of that if they put too much focus on trying to match Lord of the Rings and other things along those lines instead of just focusing on being their own best thing.

it shall be terrible

I know they turned some previous director down because they simply said "Sorry but this movie cannot be bad. We need someone else." They seem to be pretty serious about this. Street Fighter and stuff were seriously half assed. I don't even know how they got past screen testing! Didn't anyone NOTICE something weird and wrong about the film?!? If they can avoid the simple slip ups like bad acting, a script written by preschoolers, and etc...they...they have a chance! IF they screw up though? Heh. GG. Game over. All the WoW haters will simply mulitply in numbers and the franchise will have nowhere to go but down. If they do good though? Sequels... more Warcraft games (WC4? WoW 2?) and etc could become a possibility due to high demand.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    The original MK movie was quite a pleasant surprise. Also, one of the best movie soundtracks of the 90s.
    Yeah, the first Mortal Kombat movie was actually pretty good. They didn't have some horrible storyline but just sticked to a fighting tournament, which made it true to the original game and still made it easy for the general audience to understand. They also kept the special moves to a minimum to not make it feel ridiculously over the top.

To be honest, I actually think there are quite a few movies based on games that did pretty well. They're not super awesome, but they're okay to watch.

-Tomb Raider
    -Resident Evil
    -Hitman
    -Prince of Persia

And I actually think the Silent Hill movie is actually pretty good. Even if you don't know the video game it's still a pretty good scary movie imo.

The main problem movies based on video games have to deal with is either screwing over the fans by making it appear more realistic and toning down all the supernatural stuff. Or they stick true to the source material and the general audience think it's too crazy. You can't please both sides, and trying to do so will often lead to both sides thinking it's crap. It's a tough job finding that thin line inbetween that makes the movie a success.

As for the Warcraft movie itself, I don't think it'll be horrible. It won't be as awesome as Lord of the Rings but it'll be entertaining. It'll probably score somewhere between 5 and 8.

Considering the caliber of Duncan Jones' directing and writing, I'm not worried and I actually have high hopes.

Not just this, but he AND the Art Director (or is it Creative Director?) of the Movie are both VERY long time players of the game. They actually know what they're doing and the direction the story/world itself should go.

Another thing that affirms for me that the game is going to do extremely well is the fact that they're not recruiting extremely well known actors for the roles. Each actor they've recruited has (mostly) delved into a movie that belongs to this genre. Having that guy from Vikings is fucking fantastic too.

They have all of the elements to make the film a smash hit. I'm actually confident they'll execute everything correctly.

The March release date bothers me a lot. I mean... March. If it was going to be a major deal for the studo, they would have put it in the summer (a few months later). Why do I get the feeling they don't think it is going to be a winner and put more surefire bets in the Summer instead?

Far too early to tell.

I see it going down like this.

The Warcraft movie comes out and gets solid reviews and is successful. The WoW fanbase hates it for a litany of stupid and largely laughable/nitpicky reasons. In five years the sequel comes out and all the haters of the first film suddenly love it and say the sequel was trash. Repeat ad infinitum.

Yes but:

-I feel this way about every film
    -I especially feel this way about every film made from a video game

There is almost no actual info to go on yet apart from vague answers at Blizzcon but my opinion so far is that the guys making it have the best of intentions and it probably won't be Street Fighter level bad. Or like, Uwe Boll level bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucci View Post
    I dunno, Legendary Pictures has some pretty awesome movies under it's belt.
    Few good films, few okay films, few utter garbage films (I mean seriously, 10,000 BC and Jonah Hex).

Like every studio really.

Personally the only movies of theirs I really liked are the Dark Knight (not Rises, that was appalling) and Inception.

But I don't think studio really matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Undies View Post
    Go watch Moon, then come back to this thread, and share your opinion. Duncan Jones is gunna kill it. (in the good sense)
    I thought that movie was pretty good but I don't think that means anything. Every great director in the world has made their share of stinkers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat had settings strapped on to a fighting game. The Warcraft RTS' for the most part were the same. However since WC3 and WoW, Blizzard has refined their storytelling abilities, and as such there is a solid story and backstory going. You can complain all you want about plot holes and shoddy characterization, but you can say that about almost any piece of literature these days. Nobody seems to be able to accept that characters are just a certain way, just like you are. No they don't always make rational decisions, and neither do you.

TL;DR: Those other games had no story, Warcraft does. It will be a lot different. Good or bad, who's to say, but it won't be as manufactured as those other films were.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're not thinking this because it's a video game movie. You're thinking this because it's not a blockbuster with an all-star cast you immediately recognise. We literally know nothing except minor plot details and a small cast list.

Watch Pacific Rim and then tell me it's gonna be bad. It was a movie released this year by the exact same production company. Some of the best special effects I've ever seen in a film; We really have reached the point where it's getting hard to differentiate cgi from reality now. It's the perfect time for a video game movie like this to come out and blow everyone's minds with a well-realised world. Even if it does flop it will be worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    The March release date bothers me a lot. I mean... March. If it was going to be a major deal for the studo, they would have put it in the summer (a few months later). Why do I get the feeling they don't think it is going to be a winner and put more surefire bets in the Summer instead?
    Why would anyone in the film industry think this is going to be a winner?

How many films have been made out of video games, at least 30? How many have been good?

Best they're hoping for is inexplicably successful garbage that somehow keeps making money like those Resident Evil movies. Best we're hoping for is that it'll break the mold, surprise everyone and actually be a good movie in its own right.

Nobody is thinking this will be the next big summer blockbuster.

I honestly think that it will never be able to live up to the hype surrounding it but I hope it will be good and encourage others to take other adaptations seriously for once.

10+ Year Old Account
    It probably will be... But we'll all go see it, so in the end, they still make boat tons of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Annarion View Post
    Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat had settings strapped on to a fighting game. The Warcraft RTS' for the most part were the same. However since WC3 and WoW, Blizzard has refined their storytelling abilities, and as such there is a solid story and backstory going. You can complain all you want about plot holes and shoddy characterization, but you can say that about almost any piece of literature these days. Nobody seems to be able to accept that characters are just a certain way, just like you are. No they don't always make rational decisions, and neither do you.

TL;DR: Those other games had no story, Warcraft does. It will be a lot different. Good or bad, who's to say, but it won't be as manufactured as those other films were.
    Mortal Kombat is a fighting game sure but it has a rich stable of characters and an interesting if kooky backstory. The movie was panned for being low budget and ridiculous, but actually wound up a camp cult classic. I personally love the original MK and find MK2 hilariously bad.

I don't think it was lack of story though. Games and movies are different genres and what works in a video game story does not necessarily work in a movie.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    And I actually think the Silent Hill movie is actually pretty good. Even if you don't know the video game it's still a pretty good scary movie imo.
    I thought it was doing alright if a little conventional until a point later in the movie (I think it was when the cop lady died twice) when it all suddenly turned to shit and I just thought, well so much for that movie.

Just basing it off the fact that video game to movie transitions have a perfect track record for being fucking terrible, my hopes arn't very high the wow movie will be any good by traditional standards. Could end up being so bad its good but i'm sticking with just out right bad for now. I base this off nothing but my prejudice towards hollywood when it comes to video games.

If they can pull off a story and get folks involved who are not just WOW players, it has the potential to be huge. I think they get the risk of a movie based on a game. I also think they understand this risk may naturally push non-gamers away. So they have to create a great story that'll appeal to non-wow heads as well. There are some clever folks working on this and hopefully they'll pull it off. If so, there is so much more story to tell and other movies to follow. I'm pulling for them an hope they nail it.

I don't know if it will be as bad as those. But yeah, there has yet to be a good movie based on a video game. There are some ok ones out there like Resident Evil. However, is that really what this movie should aim for? just ok?

First thing is that they have to have a great script for the movie. Who is writing it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Same as any movie. People will qq. People will whine. As for me, I can't wait but as I said. I'm not going to hold my breath for lack of complaints.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Undies View Post
    Go watch Moon, then come back to this thread, and share your opinion. Duncan Jones is gunna kill it. (in the good sense)

And lets see, i think Atlas Entertainment, Blizzard Entertainment, Legendary Pictures, and Universal Pictures as the production for this film have about 6.023 x 10 ^23 the budget of those horrible movies you mentioned. C'mon, its gotta be good.
    I've seen moon & personally I wasn't that impressed.