Thread: New Races

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

New Races

I think Blizzard needs to cut the retcon crap and actually make a race playable that already has some backstory! The Draenei, the Worgen, the Goblins, the Pandaren: what do they bring to the table?

The Draenei were a complete and total retcon. They have an improvised backstory that increased the lore for the Orcs, but that's it. Their main enemy is the Burning Legion, and that's the only time that their lore will ever come through: when we fight the Burning Legion. As for now, they are few in number, and their lore can't grow whatsoever! Even with WoD, we're just going to another timeline and witnessing an alternate ending to the story we already know. Yet, this alternate ending won't appear on our own Azeroth, so what good will it do for us as a whole (and no, I'm not hating on WoD)?

The Worgen can't go anywhere. The curse has been handled and maintained and controlled by them based on the events with the Night elves in their starting zone. It's impossible to find a cure, as well, unless we just want british humans and no Worgen whatsoever as a playable race.

The Goblins we play as come from a retconned cartel that we've never heard of before. To follow, Gallywix tried to kill our playable characters multiple times as well as Thrall, but he's still their leader even though he's no where to be found in-game. That's it. Otherwise, they're just the engineers rivaling the Gnomish engineers.

The Pandaren . . . Yeah. They aren't a retconned race, but their story sure is (or at least it was improvised). I'm sure they will never get any more lore, unless they're trying to resolve conflicts through peaceful tactics. That being said, it pretty much just showed the illogical side of having Pandas put themselves under Garrosh's reign.

So overall, Blizzard just needs to stick with the races that have a developed backstory. The Blood elves are managing fine through lore-progression. Even the High elves, an unplayable race, gets more lore than the Dwarves, Gnomes, and the newer races. Just saying.
    Last edited by cmats4020; 2013-12-20 at 12:43 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cmats4020 View Post
    I think Blizzard needs to cut the retcon crap and actually make a race that has some backstory!
    [snip]
    So overall, Blizzard just needs to stick with the races we've got.
    Wait, what?

Quote Originally Posted by gowron View Post
    Wait, what?
    Races we've got, as in races that already have a developed backstory. I'll edit it.

Murloc Race - GOGO BLIZZARD!

10+ Year Old Account
    Since we've caught up in the "history of Warcraft", then by that logic, everything is "recton" from now on.

I say sit back, relax, and let Blizzard make their game. Enjoy it for what it's worth!

As for the new races, to me, we need MORE.

Deleted
    I'd love to be able to play the Saberon! It haven't got any lore yet, but it looks beastly!

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Blizz needs to STOP introducing new races since we have explored everything now, balance the ones we have and THEN allow us to play old world races like Ogres, Centaurs, or Dryads.

The Goblin cartel may have been retconned, but as a race they easily make the most sense of all that have been added for being playable. May have made more sense as a neutral race... but meh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vightnic View Post
    The Goblin cartel may have been retconned, but as a race they easily make the most sense of all that have been added for being playable. May have made more sense as a neutral race... but meh.
    You are damn right they made the most sense. Ain't no one taking my goblin from me.

Plus two points here. The horde recruited the Goblins YEARS before the actual world of warcraft started. And two, why the hell would the alliance get another midget race?

EDIT : My bad, they liked to be called "Little people"

Thank you ElyPop for the sig!

Quote Originally Posted by cmats4020 View Post

The Goblins we play as come from a retconned cartel that we've never heard of before. To follow, Gallywix tried to kill our playable characters multiple times as well as Thrall, but he's still their leader even though he's no where to be found in-game. That's it. Otherwise, they're just the engineers rivaling the Gnomish engineers.
    What are you talking about, there was no 'retcon', a retcon means something in the past was changed, adding a cartel (Which was mentioned in the RPG anyway) isn't a retcon.

I agree with Gallywix being a really stupid decision by Thrall and Blizz though
    Twas brillig

I'd rather the races we already have get a nice story, and WoW as a whole shifts away from the Humans Vs. Red guys story. MoP made other Horde races relevant (besides Undead and Tauren of course) whereas Alliance remained strictly Humans (and some other guys)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    What are you talking about, there was no 'retcon', a retcon means something in the past was changed, adding a cartel (Which was mentioned in the RPG anyway) isn't a retcon.

I agree with Gallywix being a really stupid decision by Thrall and Blizz though
    You can't just kill Gallywix for being a villain, he really isn't. He's just a goblin being a goblin - something I'm sure Thrall is used to be now. Plus he turned into a rather selfless leader during the Garrosh uprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Blue Bear View Post
    Since we've caught up in the "history of Warcraft", then by that logic, everything is "recton" from now on.

I say sit back, relax, and let Blizzard make their game. Enjoy it for what it's worth!

As for the new races, to me, we need MORE.
    Agreed. I mean, So many people out there being glad WoD won't have any more new races or classes. Why is this any good news? Fucking around with a new race or class was always quite a selling point of every xpac.

Hell, I'd even like to have Hozen as a playable race. So what I won't play them, there is a choice.

I for one am glad that there are no more races, its not going to add any more meaningful content to the game and it's time better spent by the devs on content that will matter beyond the first 10 levels.
    You just lost The Game

10+ Year Old Account
    OP needs to learn what Retcon means. Gobs weren't retconned.

No. Current races rarely get any attention aside from Humans and Orcs, even the Pandas were overshadowed in their own expansion. They should take a step back, flesh out current stories before introducing more half-assed ones.

How are they supposed to make a story without introducing the races first.

The problem with new alliance races(and the vanilla ones) is that humans completely over shadow everyone. They're the best at way too many things. The only room for other races to wheedle into the story is if there needs to be druids or shamans. Even technology is dominated by humans, gnomes and dwarves might build the stuff, but it's humans that are operating and commanding them. Ever see a gnome captain a sky ship? Didn't think so.

Humans just fill every possible niche in the story. Horde doesn't have as big of a problem with orcs(orcs are still a problem), but orcs don't bring everything to the table like humans do.

Need an alliance mage? Human.
    Need a priest? Human.
    Paladin? Human
    Military commander? Human
    Spy organization? Human
    Warrior? Human

Humans are jack of all trades, master of all. Biggest mary sue race.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Humans are jack of all trades, master of all. Biggest mary sue race.
    They at least have an option with the Kirin Tor now (loljk, Human or gtfo). While a Human may lead it, they have an opportunity to bring forth notable Mages from each sub-faction within the Alliance; Highborne, Gnomes, Draenei (Who should be the greatest mages by default, considering their retcon) and Dark Iron Dwarves. Not so sure about Pandas, as there were no notable Panda Mages, as they were mostly Monks in the Panda starting zone and throughout Pandaland, same for the Worgen as the most prominent class in their starting zone was Hunter, and to an extent Druid when you go to the Tree, in the form of all the Guards having pets and using a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Thassarian View Post
    They at least have an option with the Kirin Tor now (loljk, Human or gtfo). While a Human may lead it, they have an opportunity to bring forth notable Mages from each sub-faction within the Alliance; Highborne, Gnomes, Draenei (Who should be the greatest mages by default, considering their retcon) and Dark Iron Dwarves. Not so sure about Pandas, as there were no notable Panda Mages, as they were mostly Monks in the Panda starting zone and throughout Pandaland, same for the Worgen as the most prominent class in their starting zone was Hunter, and to an extent Druid when you go to the Tree, in the form of all the Guards having pets and using a gun.
    The homogenizing other races into human organizations like the Kirin Tor wouldn't help. That's part of the problem. We saw it with SI:7 in MoP, there was more than one race in SI:7 but they all could have been human and it wouldn't have change anything. In fact, both Mishka and Rell were horribly out of character for their respective races to the point they would have been better if they were just humans.

I'd like to see some new races even if it is letting us play older races like ogre or high elf but I do not think they were needed for WoD because to me personally all the new models > new race.
    Check out my livestream and follow me on twitter.
    /
    I Livestream and do giveaways.