[pet battles] building a good roster

hi all,

I have finally finished leveling all my alts and can now focus on stuff I never had a chance to work on this expansion. One of which is pet battles. I have played a little bit with it but nothing organized. I managed to get to northrend pet trainers with my simple trio and got my ass kicked by the dude at crusader's colosseum a while back.

This leads me to my questions:
    1 - is there a guide for efficient leveling a roster that can fight pet trainers? I assume there is a set of pets that are better than others for particular trainers
    2 - I stopped learning my theory on very basic stuff about which types of pets are good against another types but what about particular pets of the same types? Is there a resource to quickly see for instance which of the mechanical pets I own (or don't own and therefore should get) is the best for particular type of enemy?
    3 - What about pet team designed for hunting and capturing rares? Right now I just fight pets with my current team until I find blue I'm after but it takes a lot of time. Any tips for efficiency?

so those are my starting questions, hopefully not too simplistic for you - any help you throw my way is greatly appreciated.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    i was able to beat all trainers up to northrend with just my 3 crocodiles (aquatics). went to northrend to fight the guy in dragonblight and got destroyed.

i'm currently using lil ragnaros and lil xt, then i plug a 3rd one in depending on what i need, the arctic fox, and/or a turtle is what i'm experimenting with right now. seems to be going well but i haven't attempted the dragonblight guy again.

Lil Ragnaros, Lil Xt, and Alterac Drinking Party dog on my team. I decided to go back through the older zones and finish up lore quests, explore full zone, get all the flight paths unlocked, do achieves, etc, and did pet battling while I was at it. I also queued for PvP Pet battling, so that helped level me help. I ended up 4 to 5 levels ahead of the NPC pet trainers when I met them, and likewise won all the time. I only did the pet battling to make my completion of old world content exciting, and as such, not very knowledgeable yet about it, but I"d imagine the secert to winning is practice, leveling, and experimentation. Find out what setups work and what doesnt, build up an all round team and examine other player strategies and you will win.

thanks for that
    I was just hoping to get some info best setups or good resources to plan it all

Thanks for the input so far, this is something I've been curious about also, have yet to try my hand at pet battles.

Quote Originally Posted by hlx View Post
    thanks for that
    I was just hoping to get some info best setups or good resources to plan it all
    1. I think there are, petopia i think has one. In general if you are also hunting pets, most often you will have to fight beasts, flyers, critters and aquatics. Clockwork gnome (arch), emerald whelpling (or something alike), beast (i liked spiders), a moth, a snail and a fast rabbit will get you very far. Remember the tamers have a daily every day and you can go back to them for easy experience

2. there are various addons, i use collectme for sorting options. I like "rematch" to remember team. On petopia, they also mention some which make it easy to track enemy cd's etc. storing teams etc.

3. the pets i mentioned in 1 are quite good for this as they all have healing, shield and/or dodge moves.

And you can always check wowhead if you're stuck on a trainer.
    I never bothered to level my anubisath idol, but I heard some ppl say they went all the way to 25 with anub+clockwork gnome+x.

Anubisath idol is one of my favorite pets. Super tanky, especially with sandstorm up and heals every time he lands a hit. I have also had surprisingly good luck while hitting with demolish even with the accuracy debuff from sandstorm. Almost seems better than a 40% chance to land sometimes with the streaks of hits I get.

Another great pet for demolishing dailies, especially the critter legendary pets for the beast of fable quests is the zanadalari anklerender. That little guy will tear the first mob out to shreds if you can keep it alive through black talon > hunting party > hunting party. (believe those are the skill names)

As for capturing, pure efficiency comes from the terrible turnip which has the reduce to 1 hp attack. Can also always run with something like kun lai runt's deep freeze to bring them down into capture range, assuming that the pet isn't weak to elemental attacks.

Don't have much advice about pvp battles, from the little I have done recently, watch out for lil' rag, the monk and the blossoming ancient. Bought pets that will take a dump on your team through sheer power or sustain. Happy hunting for your rares!
    Last edited by norix; 2013-12-26 at 08:55 AM.

Anubisath's Demolish ability has been bugged for a long time now, it has the same accuracy as Crush.

You can beat most of the trainers up until the Pandaria ones with counter-types and pretty much whatever you like best/have a personal preference for. IF you're having trouble with a particular trainer's trio -- go to Wowhead and make sure you're looking at the most recent patch notes' commentary. (Some trainers and their pets have been buffed/altered.)

Here's a guide I wrote with some good pets to start out with that shouldn't be too difficult to obtain: 7 Great Pets for the Beginning WoW Pet Battler

Going to work on a Celestial Tournament/Legendary Beast pet checklist next.

Quote Originally Posted by hlx View Post

1 - is there a guide for efficient leveling a roster that can fight pet trainers? I assume there is a set of pets that are better than others for particular trainers

3 - What about pet team designed for hunting and capturing rares? Right now I just fight pets with my current team until I find blue I'm after but it takes a lot of time. Any tips for efficiency?
    1) Doing the trainers daily is a great way not only to level your pets, but also to level alts. You can take 1 or 2 lower level pets and one maxlevel pet on a round to take out most or all trainers in azeroth and your two little guys will gain a ton of levels. Of course you can change the big guy depending on what the trainer has, for best effectiveness. Northrend / Pandaria -trainers have tougher setups, so you should only have one little guy and 2 maxlvl pets to have an easier time taking them out. Some of them (like the aforementioned crusader trainer) have such strong teams that you might not have 2 pets that can take his lineup out, so easier to skip them. Other places people like to level lowbie pets are any spots with a concentration of one particular type of pet teams, like the critter and aquatic groups in valley of the 4 winds. Obviously you would need 1-2 high-level counter types and then one slot for the little guy you want to level.

3) Obviously the turnip. Also any pets that are fast and have stun moves help, since you can first whittle down the health a bit and then stun them to get your turnip into play. I would recommend simply to buy the turnip off the AH (if you don't have it) and let him be the first pet you level through the trainers path.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

I gotta be honest i read it as building a good Rooster...

But wowhead gave me a good guild as to build up and work towards the achieves, and then once i had enough went from there with different set ups.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    is the dodge mechanic for pets bugged? every time a rabbit uses dodge or any dodge like ability, it almost always lasts for 2 rounds, even though it's only supposed to last for 1.

It lasts the turn it's cast on and the next. If it's on a quick pet that goes before its opponent, you get two turns of protection.

Great site for all your questions:

http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pet-battles/

I got this printed on my desk->