Prot Pally vs Prot Warrior Playstyle

I've been working on getting my prot pally geared up, currently maining my prot warrior who I've gone 14/14 N with and feel like I have a really good grasp on.

I'm having a hard time really wrapping my head around prot pally playstyles and how it differs from prot warrior. My mentality with the warrior is to mostly juts have Shield Block up as much as I can and fill with Shield Barrier if I need, or have big shield barriers up for magic damage if there's no real physical incoming.

For Prot Pally, do I just need to hit SotR as often as I hit 5 HP? What do we do about magic damage heavy fights such as Dark Shamans?

Thanks for any help!

I tanked for a bit during this xpac on a warrior as well then I switched back to my pally recently.

As a paladin you have a lot of self heal and damage reduction just by using your abilities. Usually stacking up to 3 HoPo and then SotR up until you get about 3-5 BoG stacks, depending on the damage intake, and putting up EF on yourself. I average out about 70k per tick on EF depending on how much vengance I'm able to maintain throughout the fight.

A lot of it is also using your defensive CD's properly, like any other tank. The EF ticks and having DP up as much as possible, every 30 seconds if you're glyphed, really help with keeping the magic damage down on those type of fights. SotR uptime is incredibly important to keep up though. It's a bit of an adjustment from rage management for sure but it's not that bad at all once you get a little use to it.

SotR should be used at 5 HP, or when needed (i.e., bank to 5 as much as possible, but if you need it up when you've got anywhere between 3-5, you can and should use it). For magic heavy fights, between EF ticks and appropriate usage of cooldowns (unglyphed DP with Unbreakable Spirit is excellent for this), you should be fine. But you'll definitely take the most magic damage of all tanks (alongside bears).

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.