Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account

Might need help with Heroic Thok

(Reposting my thread from official forums)

10 or 25 How many wipes have the heroic raiders here had before they killed this boss?

I have to say it's pretty challenging. 3 weeks and we sitll haven't downed it. Of course we just extended the lockout this week so before now we didn't have too big a chance to work on it. For the record we only raid 3 hours per raid night, 3 days a week. Since thanksgiving we haven't always had ALL our regulars on for raid nights. We aren't raiding next week due to vacations and christmas, but we will pick it back up the week after.

Our best attempt got us to the second kite phase. It seems every attempt or so we have had random deaths during the tank n spank phase even with well coordinated cds. We are a 25 man guild.

Our healers are depending on whos available:

1x Resto Shaman
    2x Holy Paladins
    1x Resto druid
    1x Mistweaver Monk
    1x Disc Priest
    1x Holy/Disc Priest (Don't remember his actualt spec)

We also have a third back up Holy Paladin. Last night we even tried 8 healing.

I am not sure if the person who normally logs logged our last 2 nights of attempts. He is not on right now so I can't check whether he did or not atm. In any case they are not posted on worldoflogs.

It just seems we lack consistency getting through the tank n spank phases without random deaths. Is that normal?

We had our heroic thok kill on 10man at around 150 attempts or so, it took us awhile as we kept needing to replace people quitting wow. We 3 healed with a holy paladin, resto druid and a disc priest, on occasion during tank and spank phases we would have random deaths and not always the same people we basically boiled it down to rng with bubbles.

What was happening is people would receive less bubbles than other said person so the first aoe would bring them low and there would not be enough time to heal them before the second aoe.
    What eventually got our kill was overlapping cooldowns for a second or two and not trying to push to hard on the amount of stacks during tank and spank phase(this just increases the chance for someone to be killed).

We also aoe'd the heck out of the bats and pushed the boss into the kite phase again during poison breath at around 5-6 stacks, and once he was in fire phase stacking in melee until he pushed into kite phase again from that point it was just a matter of burning the 15% or so hp the boss had left(make sure you are keeping up a mortal strike debuff on the boss).

Most of the strategies around this boss were designed with low item level gear in mind we were pushing 570+ for most of us and found that we did not need to reach high stacks to beat enrage timer. Hopefully this helps.

Coming from a 25man guild we found one of the most dangerous phases for us was the second group up phase with the bats and if people were going to die that would be when it would be. We do 27-28 stacks each time in the group up phase but we spent a long time working out our cooldown rotations. Make sure you're using hand of protections/aura masterys at a good time - we HoP a resto druid for tranq pretty early and usually HoP a resto shaman during his ascendance too as well as chaining 2-3 aura masteries (usually a 1 sec overlap to make sure we don't get locked) at higher stacks.

Killed him after about 80 attempts, but that's cause our third healer is just doing extremely awful hps(like 110k at the end, peaks at 200k at the end of first p1).

We consistently 2-3 shot him every week now. Poison phase is usually when wipes happen, or if a really bad yeti charge occurs.

We 8 healed this boss right away, got it in 23 attempts two weeks ago (Malkorok took us 100 or so).

I'd say at this point in progression with gear levels being what they are, just throw healers at it.

We had to 7 heal it this week and it sucked.

Deleted
    Acid: Make sure your elemental shamans are specced Ancestral Guidance for the bats. If you have an abudance of BoPs, just BoP the shaman. The HPS it does chain lightning everything is pretty fun.

In NSS, and something that proved to help, was going Acid > Fire > Frost to allow CD's to have time to reset between Acid and Frost. But that depends on your CD usage, and when you use them. With current gear levels, it may be worth working around the bats in Acid and pushing at 6-7 or so.

Deleted
    About 130 I think.

Most of them were between the pull and bats. Once you get your cooldowns sorted for first stack phase and work out how to get the bats down efficiently the rest is fairly easy.

I think it took us around 50 or so. We also 7 healed it, with two holy paladins. Pallys are pretty sub optimal on this fight, compared to other healers, but like I said, we did it fine so it is possible.

I think the biggest trick to the fight for us was making sure we kept him in the kiting phase long enough so that 3 minute CDs lined up perfectly for the second stack up phase. We had a list like the following (just an example):

2 - X Tide
    4 - Y Banner
    6 - Z Tide
    8 - Y Rally
    etc.

Keeping him in the first kiting phase long enough so this rotation can work out perfectly for all stack up phases is essential, especially for the bat phase. At first we were just kiting like 3-4 fixates and, for example, the CD for 2 was not up until like 6. This messes everything up. Try to kite 6-7 fixates to be perfect with CDs. In order to accomplish this you want to "bait" the fixate with mobile classes after the 3-4th fixate. How his fixate works on 25m is that he randomly chooses one of the 5 farthest targets to fixate again. So, we sent out hunters, druids of any kind, and rogues right before he choose a fixate target so they can always get away. Utilizing warlock gateways for the fixates past 4 is helpful (do not use them for the early ones or you might be stuck on CD).

Finally, bats are easily the hardest part of the entire fight. Once you successfully make it past the bats with everyone alive, you most likely are close to a kill. Fixating for awhile will help with them, so all 3 min DPS CDs are up and your defensives are also ready. However, you also want to use your second potions to kill bats ASAP. Positioning of bats quickly is also very important. We have our hunters and rogues misdirect the bats to our current tank (since he has all the vengeance), the other tank taunts the boss, the add tank moves into the melee pile, we use Gorefiend's Grasp to make sure they are all stacked up, and we immediately start stun locking them before their first damage pulse. Leg sweeps are the best to use here, we chained 2 leg sweeps and a capacitor for maximum duration. We also made sure we had devotion aura up for the bats, so casters like ele shaman can go to town on them. Finally, you need to make sure the bats are pretty much, if not completely, dead within 13-15 seconds (the duration of the stuns with DR), because their damage is insane when combined with thok and they also lifesteal. Just make sure EVERYONE is using DPS CDs, second potions, and switching ASAP to the bats.

I think what I wrote above was what was really holding up our kill for awhile. TL;DR: Prolong fixate phase to 6-7 fixates for CDs, second potion/CD/devo/stun/DPS bats ASAP. Also, if your DPS is pretty decent, if you push the first three stack phases to 29 stacks, you will never have to deal with the fire phase. Good luck!
    Twitter

RIP Summon Stone - Resto Druid Guide Relocated to Wowhead!